Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 12:45 PM   #1  

Default Diabetes Reversal

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has or knows someone who has been able to reverse their diabetic condition (type 2) through weight loss.

I'm pretty mild right now and am hoping I can, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. I'm sure down the line at some point it will come back, but a few years of repreave would be nice.

Any experiences?
Old 05-02-2004, 05:38 PM   #2  
Rattie Lover

Me!! ME!!!

I was at type 2. I was fat. I was miserable. My endocrinologist told me, "Angel, either you lose weight, or you are going to have to go on shots eventually. For now we are going to put you on Metformin." (I also have PCOS, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Spondylitis, OsteoArthritis). Having had been on chemo shots for 3 years I wasn't about to go on even more shots!! So...that was the day I guess reality hit me: either start losing weight, or start getting sicker. I chose to lose weight. I had my last big fatty meal that night, then the next day became my starting day. That was end of September, 2003. I made a MAJOR Diet/lifestyle/food change and I started exercising. I cut out all sugars, all fried food, all fast food, all processed foods, and replaced the junk with healthy foods like fresh fruit and veggies, lots of chicken, whole wheat breads/tortillas, nuts, yogurt, soy milk, etc.. and LOTS of water. I still endulge in that occasional piece of chocolate, but now its dark chocolate. The "good" chocolate. I can't even eat greasy food now. I get queasy. Since that day I decided to change my life, I have lost 55 pounds...AND I reversed the type 2 diabetes!! All of my sugar counts are perfect, I feel great, and I am down to 500mg. a day of Metformin. When I lose another 20 pounds I am going off of it totally. Doc doesn't see the need for it after then. My Endo. tells me, "I wish ALL my patients would listen to me like you did!! You can be my spokesmodel!" hahaha...I don't think so... I had to do it for ME.

So yes, it is realistic and you can do it!! Just believe in yourself and keep telling yourself ANYTHING is better than having to hit the shots. Cause once you get past the type 2 to the type one where you need shots, there's almost no going back. But right now you can go back. Kick Diabates in the butt!!

Feel free to visit the PCOS/Insulin Resistance forum! We have some good articles on this there.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2004, 06:48 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Noodles I'm impressed! I didn't know your story....You've come a long way babee!!
Old 05-02-2004, 10:25 PM   #4  

Noodles,

Thanks sooo much for your reply! I am so glad to hear that it can actually be reversed. I had to take a bit of inventory lately myself and I just knew I couldn't keep going down the same path. Thanks so much for your story and I'm glad you're doing so well. I will definitely visit the PCOS/Insulin resistance forum.

Thanks again!
Old 05-03-2004, 03:13 AM   #5  
Rattie Lover

Lanaii!! I'm like an old book...the cover might be dusty but open me up and you'll be there for hours reading lottsa stories that'll make you laugh & cry at the same time.

Yer Welcome, LOVE2!! I couldn't keep going down the same path either. But somehow, I did. I even damaged my liver along the way... but when I heard "shots" I just snapped inside I guess. I hate needles!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 01:47 PM   #6  

I actually had diabetes when I was pregnant w/my son and had to do the insulin shots. Not fun, but I survived. It went away after he was born and then I was diagnosed again in November (not pregnant). Then, at the beginning of March, my Dad died. He had diabetes (type 2) just like his father. And died of a stroke just like his father at 58. WAY too young to die. Major inventory check. Physically, I am built like my Dad and had a lot of the same genetic stuff/problems as he did. I'm just not going down that road. I love my son way too much. He's only six now, but I want to be around and healthy to watch his kids grow up.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:56 PM   #7  

i was diagnosed in nov. of 2003 with type 2. i have, as of today, lost 61 lbs. cut out my metformin and am on my way to cutting out my actos. my a1c levels are 5.9. so yes it can be done, but it does take hard work on your part.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:58 PM   #8  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE2C135
I actually had diabetes when I was pregnant w/my son and had to do the insulin shots. Not fun, but I survived. It went away after he was born and then I was diagnosed again in November (not pregnant). Then, at the beginning of March, my Dad died. He had diabetes (type 2) just like his father. And died of a stroke just like his father at 58. WAY too young to die. Major inventory check. Physically, I am built like my Dad and had a lot of the same genetic stuff/problems as he did. I'm just not going down that road. I love my son way too much. He's only six now, but I want to be around and healthy to watch his kids grow up.
I want to give you a big hug...I am sorry about your Dad.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:49 PM   #9  

Thanks so much. Hard, hard, hard.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:42 PM   #10  

I just wanted to give an update on this. I went to the doctor last week and my Hemaglobin A1C was 4.9%. So, my doc cut my Metformin in half. Just one pill per day. Guess I'm getting closer!

Take care all!
Old 05-17-2004, 02:26 PM   #11  

congrats kerri, that is wonderful. i, too, went to the dr. last monday and my a1c was 5.1%. i am completely off of my metformin and he said if i would continue what i am doing that in 6 months he would take me off of the actos and lisinopril (blood pressure med to protect my kidneys). keep up the good work.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:07 PM   #12  
Rattie Lover

YAY!! Good news on all fronts here!! Keep up the good work Girls!!
Old 06-08-2004, 04:04 PM   #13  

I was diagnosed 2 years ago and initially pretty much starved myself and lost about 40 pounds (I'm on metformin, btw, and metformin is actually given to some people to aide in weight loss.). I gained about 25 of that back once the starvation diet got old and started on the Southbeach diet in early April. I'm now down 17 pounds and no longer need to take the metformin unless I have something high carb as a special treat. And that 17 pound loss is without any type of exercise at all cause I'm recovering from foot surgery. I'm happy on this diet and I don't even want to go back to my old ways of eating anymore. Anyhow, I guess my point is that it is possible to lose weight when you're a Type 2, so don't give up.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:35 PM   #14  
banned

I'm type 2 and I managed to reverse my DM. I got off the low fat diet they told me to go on, since it was making my condition worse. I went on Atkins. I eat high fat 75%, moderate protein 20% and low carb 5%. I eat at least half my fat as saturated. I eat no grains, sugar, starchy veggies, no fruit other than the occasional berries, no potatoes, rice, pasta or corn. I eat red meat, chicken, pork and fatty fish. I fry my meat most of the time in lard, peanut oil, or coconut oil. All my veggies are eaten with cheese sauce I make with full fat cheese and cream, or real butter. I eat NO low fat products and eat 2000-2500 calories a day.
My cholesterol went from 220 to 160 and my triglycerides went from 200+ to 46. My neuropathy went away and my A1c is 6. My renal function is perfect and I've lost 59 lbs.
Stay away from the ADA diet, it just makes diabetes worse.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:04 PM   #15  
it's always something

The ADA diet is a sound diet plan and is based on years of specific research and successful case studies. Your personal experience doesn't sound typical. We are happy that you are pleased with your personal weight plan and results, but your approach is probably not going to work for most people in this situation.

We recommend that all diabetes consult your physician for advice and ongoing care and monitoring.
Closed Thread