Old 04-18-2004, 04:38 PM   #1  
Christine

Red face Looking for some concrete info on Atkins

I last visited 3FC in January, 2003..whew!! I had always been a faithful follower of Weight WAtchers. But the last 6 mos, I have just ate what ever I wanted whenever i wanated with limited exercise, outside of everyday activity. I went back to college recently and have put on about 15 extra pounds (already overweight before then). I am looking to slim down and kep it that way. I willbe 30 this year, I am the mom of three girls But I am looking for some information on Atkins. I have a good friend who lost a bunch of weight with it and the last few days I have just been following her advise. so, any book suggestions or info source would be greatly appreciated. I have not been counting sugar or carbs just eating what I think I'm suppose to...Looking fir guidance..Thanks so much. This is waht i ate today..Am i on the right track...
2 eggs 2 sausage links water breakfast tuna fish 2 slices cheese water salad (lettuce, tomatoe, cheese, cucumber ) ranch dressing -lunch
water cucumber and ranch dressing snack.
mom2my3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 05:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

I would pick up the book if it were me. I personally gained quite a bit while I was in college myself... Graduated last May.... Hung out at the same weight after graduation until this January, which is when I started Atkins. I had successfully lost close to 50 pounds on E-diets prior to starting Nursing School and School consumed so much of my time that I lived strictly hand to mouth with NO exercise. I started Atkins in hopes of jump starting my diet and getting off some extra weight but I have been very successful and will probably stick to it after I reach goal weight due to how much better I feel and the lack of sugar cravings and the up and downs of blood sugar.

Basically induction is the restriction of carbs to the point you start burning your own fat which is indicated by ketosis. Depending on how much you have to lose can depend on how much you lose during induction. I personally have stuck to the carb count of induction for the past 3ish months due to fear of regaining and increase in carb cravings. The best way to know about the carb counts and such though is to read the book. My basic rule of thumb is stay away from processed carbs and starches and free sugar- haven't had any bread, potatoes, pasta or rice products since January.

Hope this helps, Starprincess is our guru- but I really recommend picking up the book and giving it a browse it really makes the atkins way of life make sense.

Amy
Amyjo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 05:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Oh and yes your food looks pretty good... need to check the carbs on the ranch dressing- can be made low carb.
Amyjo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:26 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

Where's the meat? I know you had sausage for breakfast and tuna for lunch...but that's it? Doesn't sound like a lot. Maybe I'm wrong
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:04 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 6"

It seems to me your eating is on the right track, but I have to strongly agree with Amy. Go buy the book "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution" You can find it at walmart for about $5.00 so its not out of price range, and I can promise you it will be the best money ever spent.
Trazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 10:12 PM   #6  
Christine

Thank you so much. I appreciate all of this great info. I will pick up this book hopefully tomorrow. I have about 40 pounds I would like to lose. I weigh 167 and would love to be 127-130. Thank you for all your help. I am very unclear as to what is a good carb or bad carb or sugar blood level or anything, so I will defiantely get the book. i'll keep you updated on my progress. Does it take a long time to see results? My main concern was is it good for you to eat all the meat? But I am sure the book will answer all those questions....On my weigh to lose!! Defiantely no bread, pasta , rice or potatoes. I have been staying clear of all of those which were part of my routine eating. I also used to drink a lot of soda so, I have only been drinking water!
Old 04-19-2004, 10:51 AM   #7  
Head Princess

Amyjo - I don't think I've ever been called the guru of anything! Thanks

Mom2 - Really, the eating part is pretty simple. Don't worry about eating too much or not enough meat. For now, just worry about making sure you get your veggies in - and the good ones, too. Things like iceberg lettuce and celery don't have much nutritional value.

At the top of our little Atkins forum, there's a FAQ thread. Definitely check that out! You can also check out www.atkins.com (still no replacement for the book - Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution - but handy!) And of course, stick around here and post with us. The support makes all the difference.

One last bit - since you've done WW, be aware that this is a whole new mindset. It's going to take some getting used to, but avoid trying to do "low fat" with this. Fat is our friend!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:42 PM   #8  
Christine

HI ! Thank you! THAnk you to everyone. I did pick the book up today at Walmart. Very interesting. I have a few friends telling me how dangerous it is and all...(skeptical) but I am determined. I have read the first few chapters and am reading every single chance I get. Vegetables are very important? but no more that 2 cups a day...correct? I will post regularly. I will need all the support I can to manage. Thank to all of you!
Old 04-19-2004, 10:19 PM   #9  
Baby Steps

I know for a fact I've always eaten more than 2 cups of veggies a day. And ignore the skeptics behind the curtain!!! There's plenty of people that'll tell you how dangerous Atkins is. But I'm finding more and more people that have joined the Atkins side of things. Take it a day at a time and do the best you can. That's all anyone can do. Welcome and this is a great place for support!!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:08 PM   #10  
Christine

Thank you! Sometimes oyu just need to hear things like that! I am still reading and still working on being a better me...
Old 04-20-2004, 08:33 AM   #11  
Baby Steps

Believe me---I was SUPER confused when I started---and I even read the book first!! It takes time to re-learn habits. So do the best you can. I like that part "working on being a better me" --it's perfect for this WOE!!