Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 05:52 PM   #1  

Default Protein Shakes?

Hello Everyone

I was wondering if someone could recommend a good store bought Protein Shake, and what store can they be bought at. I'm in New York.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2004, 06:03 PM   #2  
Mel

I buy all mine on-line from Netrition.com, and my favorites are HDT Problend 55 Swiss Milk Chocolate, Alpine Vanilla, or AST Anabolic Fusion: Chocolate Peanut Butter or Vanilla Caramel Cream. Prices are much better than any store I've found.

Mel
Old 03-23-2004, 05:43 PM   #3  
Legend in my own mind

All I can say is, don't drink them, they are disgusting.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:47 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partytime
All I can say is, don't drink them, they are disgusting.
Some are better than others though

Unfortunately most if not all of the ones sold at, say, Safeway or Wal-Mart generally fall into the "crap" category as far as nutrition goes. (For example, I wouldn't even put Slim-Fast into the 'protein shake' category as it is mostly sugar...)

I generally buy supps and protein powders and stuff like that online as places like GNC are HORRENDOUSLY overpriced in comparision. However, one thing that GNC DOES do often is sell individual servings of protein powders. There are some online places that will do that as well...sell you a "sample pack" of different brands/flavors to try out.

And remember - one person's yum is another person's yuk. For example, I'm sure I'm the only person in the Western Hemisphere who actually likes the taste of Strawberry Myoplex Lite !
Old 03-23-2004, 08:51 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

I like EAS inexpensive AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes (not the bars). They actually are sold at Walmart but they seem ok to me ... I don't do low carb, I just like the shakes as a light treat.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:52 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

oh no karen.. i like the strawberry too!! don't like the chocolate.

i've become a big fan of syntrax's nectar proteins. 23 grams per scoop. 90 calories per scoop. dissolves in water with a spoon. LOVE the peach. LOVE the green apple. like the berry.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:29 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Ah another strawberry Myo Lite fan emergeth!

Okay - I've been using this one protein powder (as opposed to MRP - meal replacement powders which have protein and carbs). Beverly International's Muscle Provider (both chocolate and vanilla) are very, VERY good - the best one flavor wise I've tried yet...unforunately it's probably the most expensive one I've tried as well. I also have a container of Beverly's Ultra Size that I've yet to try - someone told me you can make BROWNIES with it by mixing with water and popping in the microwave...I might try that this weekend!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:38 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

have you tried meg's protein bars??? really wonderful.. she posted the recipe on wls, but a couple of other places as well.

oh, since the topic is protein shakes, i've been known to take GNC's properformance chocolate whey protein and add a tsp of unsweetened ghirardelli cocoa, some sweetener, and a tbs of SF/FF chocolate pudding powder, and MAYBE some instant coffee.... decaf, of course.

very very good combination.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:11 PM   #9  
Empress/Queen

I also like Designer Whey protein powder ... the vanilla praline is good to bake in muffins, bars, etc., or mixed with oatmeal.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:41 AM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantha
I also like Designer Whey protein powder ... the vanilla praline is good to bake in muffins, bars, etc., or mixed with oatmeal.
About baking with whey protein...not a good idea as the high heat required denatures the protein. Okay to stir it into your oatmeal though.

There *are* protein powders that you can bake with - casein-based or eggwhite-based proteins are much more stable than whey.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:16 AM   #11  
WW Moderator

Ooooh!Ooooh! While I can get the attention of all you knowledgable ones! Does anybody have a suitable replacement for Myoplex Lite? It makes me feel funny in a bad way. Suzanne, also. Like we're on speed! I have problems with anxiety anyway, so I've been feeling like Fred Sanford everytime I've had one this week. I THINK it is the shake. I can't say for sure, but looking over the last week, the worst I've felt I do believe has been after that shake.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:06 PM   #12  

MrsJim,

I just read you signature Wow! 265 and now a size 6!! How'd you do it? I've been stuck at this size 12/14 for months now and am getting tired of it.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:40 PM   #13  

Nevermind, I just found your thread and am reading now.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:05 PM   #14  

are you guys using the protein shakes as a meal replacement? Seems like I would really need vitamins if I did this. Where on-line do you order these protein powders? thanks
I'm trying to find a new twist to dieting b/c I'm getting bored with salads and slim fast and my nordic trac!!
kelley
Old 04-14-2004, 11:25 PM   #15  
WW Moderator

They are as meal replacements, but I'm doing Body For Life, and I eat 6 times a day. This is for 1-2 of the meals a day. It's a very interesting program if you are interested in lifting weights while you lose weight. You can check out other protein powders about anywhere. www.vitacost.com usually has good prices.
Closed Thread