Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 08:31 AM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - March 15/04

Good morning everyone.

I am a hurting unit as I type this - slipped on a patch of ice this morning and my two legs went straight up in the air. I landed with most of my weight on my right side. As a result - my hand is cut and a little swollen, my arm, hip and ankle are sore. It's a little early to tell if there's going to be any lasting damage. We'll see as the day wears on.

lala: How is the situation next door? I haven't experienced anything exactly like that, but we do have difficulty every year during the latter part of June - around the time that school lets out. The kids congregate on the boardwalk on the lake behind our house. They drink and make lots of noise (and do other things apparently given the interesting array of clothing we find there sometimes). We call the police anytime there's a lot of noise after 11 p.m. I really like the approach that Melissa's parents took with the landlord in their situation.

We ran 12 km yesterday morning. No difficulty at all - including hills - so I'm encouraged. In the afternoon, I tackled my sewing corner. Wow, it looks great now - I even got most of my photos in order. We didn't do any work in the bathroom; DH needs to borrow a trailer from friends of ours to move the fixtures from storage, and they weren't around this weekend.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:13 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!

Susan: I hope you feel better! You're probably going to be more sore later on today. Hopefully you didn't do any damage. You might want to get checked out just to be on the safe side.

Lala: I hope your weekend went well and that the new neighbors were quiet for you.

It's a beautiful sunny morning here and from what I've heard we'll be getting snow the rest of the week! Yuck! I'm so ready for Spring! I'm planning on heading out at noon and getting a little walk in; tonight is yoga and I'll get some more walking in beforehand. My weekend went pretty well--I went through some stuff and "flung" old bottles of shampoo, conditioner, etc. that I haven't used and probably never will. I also went through some of my stuff in my room and have another bag to take to the women's center.

Hi to Domina!
Old 03-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #3  

Height: 6'0"

Hi, everyone. It's warm here today--70's and it's supposed to rain. Rain is all right, must water those petunias. It was a fairly busy weekend. I went to a tea on Saturday and won a prize for prettiest hat! On Sunday night, I auditioned for the part of a Jewish mother in "Come Blow Your Horn" by Neil Simon. Keep your fingers crossed.

DH and I bought some wonderful strawberries on Saturday. I made Strawberry Shortcake and Strawberry/Chocolate Parfaits. Yum!

Susan, I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. Melissa's right, get it checked out. I fell a couple years ago and had a hairline fracture in my hand. Good for you clearing up some clutter.

Hi, lala.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:17 PM   #4  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

I'm on hold with the bank. They just changed systems. things will be slow I'm sure.

Susan -- yikes. I hope you feel better, Take lots of aspirin and try and keep yourself moving so you don't stiffen up. We'll all feel better once spring truly springs, eh? Good on ya for getting the sewing corner/room tackled. I found a yahoo group -- freecycle that is a place to have folks exchange things. I managed to get rid of a weber we borrowed from a friend while our gas grill was out of commission. Don't worry, she gave it to us.

I have lots of seedlings I'm going to pot up and give away. I wish one of you lived closer. I have lots of small columbines I'm trying to rid myself of.

Domina-- I hope you get your part. Was the tea a charity event.

Melissa- I flung my bathroom closet too. I also give away two or three rollaboards full of airline amenity kits, hotel soaps and make up cleanser samples to the local shelter. It feels good and you have an idea of how much stuff you actually use.

Okay -- neighbor update.

They have moved in. It was the 19 yo. and her homeys that were in the house on Friday am. The landlord came over to speak to DP on Friday and said that if they were going to be a problem, he wouldn't let them move in. Well, they did and when I called his wife the next day, she was a royal beeeeyatch to me on the phone. Anyhoo, I met the mom, she seems fine. The girls that are moving in will not speak to me, they probably think I'm the devil incarnate. Fine, let them think that way.

The homies helped move the younger daughter. They are going to be a pain because they are always around. They must have all graduated from highschool, but must not be in college or something. Anyhoo, they drive fast and they move in packs. I guess I sort of shed high school when I went to college, I think this is not the case here. I told DP (now in Boston) that a fence maybe in order. Anyways, they are at least marginally quiet if not obnoxious. I think mom must have read them the riot act about what happened.

So, I think I'll go over there when I get back with a nice shortbread.

Other than that, I had a busy, busy weekend. I did major recluttering, got lots of stuff done around the house and garden. Other than planting my ppatch, I feel like I can leave without a heavy heart.

I'll talk to you guys either tomorrow or the next day. I'm on my way to Philadelphia and DC.

lala
Old 03-15-2004, 05:06 PM   #5  

lala, I'm sorry they moved in. At least they're a little quieter.

You asked about the tea; it was a social event at our church.

What are columbines?
Old 03-16-2004, 08:41 AM   #6  
si, si signora

argh. I am at the airport and questioning the weather on the east coast. My flight to PHL has been cancelled due to "field conditions".

Melissa -- stay warm okay and think sun! think rain! think gulfstream!

Domina -- columbines are a type of flower -- perennials, that are typically found in alpine conditions. In Western Washington, aqualegia formosa is the common species found. Its a beautiful flower/red and yellow with spurs that hummingbirds like to drink the nectar from. The ones I have everywhere are a more domesticated variety/a dark purple with small spurs. I love them, but not in my vegetable patch, however I have a hard time pulling up the little dears without someone to adopt them.

Susan-- I hope you are on the mend. How are you feeling this am?

Well, I better look at the train schedules and see if I can get from DC to PHL today if I can't get into PHL as I have a paper to give tomorrow am.

Note to self -- don't wear pink coat to airport if you want all the mid level biz. men to take you seriously. I swear they enjoy running over small women who have better seats on the plane than they do and have a much better mileage balance.

Have a groovy Tuesday ladies. I'll check in from Chicago.

lala
Old 03-16-2004, 10:55 AM   #7  

I'm feeling OK this morning, thank you. Hand is bruised and slightly swollen and my hip is sore, but I appear to have escaped otherwise. I'll admit I was a little nervous yesterday since I didn't feel quite right for most of the day. I took ibuprofen and slept most of the night.

lala: We're expecting snow tonight, 15-20 cm. Hard to believe because it's a beautiful, sunny day. Oh well, it can't last much longer. Hope your travel plans aren't too badly affected by "field conditions." (Is that weather?)

Domina: Columbines are very pretty. I have a few in my backyard and I intend to plant more this year. Very hardy too, from my experience.

Melissa: Are you getting this weather too?

We're tackling 5 hills tonight. I really hope the snow holds off; hills are bad enough without having to worry about falling...
Old 03-16-2004, 12:44 PM   #8  

Hello to all,

I still can't place columbines. They sound pretty; probably don't grow down here. Well, I'm sitting here soaked because it is pouring down rain here today. Actually, we need the rain, but being wet at the office is not a good thing.

Susan, I'm glad you're feeling better today. Don't be too surprised by how you felt yesterday. You had a major fall and your body reacts to it just like a car accident. Take care of yourself.

lala, I'm with Susan, what are field conditions?? Is there snow there?

Hi to Melissa
Old 03-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #9  

Hello, it's Domina again. I just looked up photos of Columbines on the Internet. They are very pretty; I think I've seen them in the past.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:31 PM   #10  
si, si signora

Field conditions - its snowing. Come to think of its snowing in Chicago where I am sitting between flights. I must now call my hotel and change rooms, DP does not like it.

Sigh.

Domina - I'm pretty sure they won't grow in Florida. But then again, you can have a mango tree and I buy them frozen from TJs!

lala
Old 03-16-2004, 01:39 PM   #11  

Well, it's snowing like crazy here and it's not getting any better! This morning visibility was bad and it's been deteriorating as the day has progressed. The forecast is calling for 5-8" and more in the traditional snow belt area (6-12")...we figure it's our annual St. Patrick's Day Storm...you see today would be St. Pat's Day if it weren't for Leap Year

Lala: I hope you're able to get out of Philly--the weather we're having is supposed to move along the East coast.

Susan: I'm glad you're feeling better and that you were able to sleep last night! I hope the weather holds out that you'll be able to run tonight. Yesterday was gorgeous here--sunny and 37; everyone said the same thing, "Snow?".

Domina: I bet you're glad you don't live up north! I'm figuring on getting some AP's in this evening when I get home from some shoveling!

One good thing, I don't have to work at WW tonight so I can head home after work and do some laundry, etc.

Last edited by MelissaL; 03-16-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:31 PM   #12  

Some News!

I got the part of Mrs. Baker, a Jewish mother, in Come Blow Your Horn by Neil Simon. It should be fun. We open in a month--lots of lines to learn.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:08 AM   #13  

Good morning. It's a winter wonderland here this morning. St. Paddy's storm right on schedule for us!

Congratulations Domina on getting the part. A month doesn't seem like a long time. What is the rehearsal schedule like?

Hope you didn't have too much to shovel last nite Melissa. DH has the snowblower out and at the mouth of the garage door for this evening. I'm so happy we bit the bullet and bought one; it more than half-paid for itself after that 95-cm fiasco!

How did the travel work out yesterday lala? I couldn't figure out exactly where you were headed - DC or Philly. Maybe both?

I didn't run last nite after all. A lot of aches and pains kicked in by the end of the day and I decided to skip hill training until next week. I'll need to get at least one extra run in this week to stay on schedule.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:02 AM   #14  

Domina: Congratulations on getting the part!

Susan: We ended up with 14.6"+ of snow yesterday! Can I say AP's? My arms/back/legs are sore. We have a snowblower but it's way bigger than I am and DH wasn't home so I didn't have much choice. This morning the roads were plowed so it wasn't too bad. I'm sure the side streets are still bad but the main ones at least are clear.

Lala: Did you get to where you needed to go yesterday? I know the flights here were cancelled, as were the ones in Philly, Detroit, and I'm sure numerous other cities.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:34 AM   #15  

Hello, it's a pretty day here today. It should be about 75 degrees later.

I can't believe how much snow you received. Shoveling snow is hard work, Melissa.

I hope lala made it to Philly.

Regarding my play, I go to a read-through tonight, so we will discuss the rehearsal schedule then. It should be fun.
Closed Thread