UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 02-22-2004, 05:53 PM   #1  

Talking Atkins/low Carb Buddy Needed

Oh well Chickies I'm starting the Atkins tomorrow (Monday), scared, apprehensive, etc, etc, etc.................I'm feeling all of these at the moment.........but hey-ho the show must go on!

There seems to be loads of people in the States doing Atkins, but there seems to be very few UK postings about it..........so c'mon Chickies, don't be shy, let's all eat our pork rinds together "YUK"

All this low carb stuff is new to me........I come from the old school where basically less is good, and how fantastic it is to eat loads of veg, salad and fruit...........Things I'm sure, that ironically I'll be craving. I'm already fantasising about an orange (I haven't even started yet!). Why is it you always want what you can't have????

Is there anyone out there travelling down the same motorway as me - Atkins?

Oh well, whatever you Chickies are doing I hope it gets you where you want it to.............GOOD LUCK!!!

Terri
djbp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:44 AM   #2  

Hi Terri,

I am not doing Atkins but i am low carbing, I have been doing it for 5 weeks now and have lost 16lb. There was a spell half way through where my weight loss stopped but i increased my exercise (20 mins walking a day) and it has sped right back up. I have just sent you a pm but am off on holiday tomorrow so will contact you when i get back to see how you are going!

Good luck
Tracy
TracyLangford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:14 AM   #3  

Angry

Hi

I have started the south beach diet this morning which is similar to atkins and dreading the next two weeks without fruit (!!) and potatoes...but mostly booze - aaagghhh! I have set a target weight loss of 2 1/2 stone in 18 weeks, which will be a miracle as I have zero willpower haha...but I'm determined to do it this time (famous last words!!) would love to hear from anyone else trying this diet.
manda31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 10:28 AM   #4  

Default UK Low-carbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbp98
There seems to be loads of people in the States doing Atkins, but there seems to be very few UK postings about it..........so c'mon Chickies, don't be shy, let's all eat our pork rinds together "YUK"
Hi Terri -

Although I'm American, I joined a UK-based low-carbing e-mail list a couple of years ago and have found it very helpful. You have a "British Dr. Atkins" named Barry Groves who wrote "Eat Fat, Get Thin" and he is a member of the list. His approach, and that of many other UK low-carbers, IS just a bit different. You can find lots of help here: http://www.low-carb.org.uk/ , the site I originally happened to find where I joined the e-mail list.

Hope this helps! And by the way, pork rinds (and all LC specialty foods) seem to be a bit harder to find in the UK than in the US...but maybe that's changing.

Diane
narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:57 PM   #5  
Legend in my own mind

I'm not doing the adkins but I am doing the low carb thing.
when I do have small amounts of carbs I'll have some brown rice, or whole wheat past, whole wheat tortillas or whole wheat bread. I quit potatos for now until I loose the weight but I eat lots of vegies and fruits. I just think its healthy to eat like that and I am loosing weight so its good. I feel good and have lots of energy. I have also given up gravy and quit using so much salt.
I drink lots of water or green tea.
there are lots of ways to eat healthy by cutting carbs and by using whole grain foods gives your body the fiber and nutrition it needs.
Partytime is offline   Reply With Quote