UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 09:01 AM   #1  

Default First week, dry lips

Hi, I've just signed up on this very interesting forum.
I've been on a low carb diet for just one week and noticed that my lips have become VERY dry. Has anyone had this experience or know what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to drink more water, or could it be because I've started drinking tea instead of coffee? I just noticed I'm supposed to take a daily vitamin supplement.
I was also very "hyper" the first few days (so to speak!) and did not feel as tired in the evenings. Usually I go to bed early but now I find I can watch a late night film no bother.
I'm actually eating more than I did before, expecially for breakfast, yet I felt very slightly dizzy half way through the week. Nonetheless I do not feel the usual bloating, and my trousers are not tight anymore. The weight still seems to be the same though!
Just thought I'd share my initial experiences! Thanks
Susan
Old 02-01-2004, 10:54 AM   #2  

Hi Susan,

Welcome to the forum!

I am also following a low carb plan but cannot say that i have noticed having dry lips but i always make sure that i drink 8 glasses of water a day anyway so that may be why. I used to drink a lot of tea and i did find that that made me feel dehydrated - now i usually drink coffee with double cream in it as opposed to tea which is bliss!

I also noticed that i am not as tired when i am eating carbs and also managed to stay up later in the 'normal' carb intake. The first week i low carbed i lost 8lb but after that i had a couple of "static" weeks but once i increased my exercise the weight has started shifting again by 1-2lb a week.

Keep us posted as to how you are doing. Good luck

Tracy
Old 02-01-2004, 02:43 PM   #3  

Thanks Tracy, your'e right, it may be that the change to tea has done it. Unfortunately I like sugar in my coffee though!
Every success with your weight loss plan!

Susan
Old 02-02-2004, 05:18 PM   #4  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Hi Susan

Water water water. If your lips are dry constantly then it is a sure sign that you are dehydrated. Your dizzy spells are another good sign but most telling is you saying that you feel less blaoted and your trousers fit after only 1 week. All of these together tell me thatyou are very very dehydrated. Enough to make usually simple tasks difficult, to impair coordination and slow down thought processses and cause confusion!

Tea has caffeine in it too - look out for decaff, if you can stand the taste.

Any amount of caffeine will accelerate dehydration. Lo carbing can also increase sodium levels, making water even more important!

The good news is that all of your symptoms can be cured easily - drink your water and feel almost instantly better. If you have to miss out something because you are in a rush don't let it be water. Miss out on a small snack before your glass of water.

Did I stress - you must drink your water? D
Old 02-03-2004, 02:04 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef
Hi Susan

Enough to make usually simple tasks difficult, to impair coordination and slow down thought processses and cause confusion!

D
Aha, if only I'd known all these years....

Seriously, I think you're right, I'm not very good at simply drinking water. I'll have to start taking a bottle to work!
Thanks,
Susan
Old 02-15-2004, 05:19 AM   #6  
Must Stay Motivated

I am also rubbish at drinking water. I am a little better now. When I tried Atkins I found it loads easier to drink fizzy water than still. I used to buy it in 2l bottles and my goal each day would be to finish the bottle. That way I knew how much I was drinking.
Closed Thread