Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 12:19 PM   #1  

Red face Okay its me another question...kinda embarassing :o

I've done very good so far and I'll start my second Phase on Monday and I've lost 10.5 pounds so far. , but I have a embarrasssing problem I don't know if its related to the diet or not I've been kinda of constipated is that related to the diet? Has anyone else had this happen in the first phase?? I've been drinking alot of water and eating lots of green veggies..... so any advice??????

Last edited by Danzgal; 01-24-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:16 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Add some flax seed or flax seed oil. Or get some sugar-free Metamucil.
Remember that legumes are allowed on all Phases. Did you ignore them during Phase I? Congrats on your loss.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:33 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzgal
I've done very good so far and I'll start my second Phase on Monday and I've lost 10.5 pounds so far. , but I have a embarrasssing problem I don't know if its related to the diet or not I've been kinda of constipated is that related to the diet? Has anyone else had this happen in the first phase?? I've been drinking alot of water and eating lots of green veggies..... so any advice??????
Hi,

My problem is worse. I have gas since I started this!!!Hope you feel better soon.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:41 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

So...post a menu of what you are eating - perhaps as a different thread as the questions are different. We may be able to help.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:28 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

Danz, my first week, same problem...I had a horrible headache and could not go to the bathroom!!! After about 3 days, I took some Metamucil and it did help. Since then, everything has been back to normal. Good Luck to ya!!
Old 01-24-2004, 09:29 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Eat more vegetables and salad, if you aren't eating them already. It's so easy to forget that they are a good source of fiber. Like Ruth mentioned, Metamucil before each meal is a recommendation by Dr A. It helps with fiber, plus slows down the digestion/lowers the glycemic index of your meal.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:58 AM   #7  
what goes around...

Default Metamucil Before Each Meal??

Metamucil before each meal? I need to go back and re-read that part of the book. My memory's telling me that pre-meal Metamucil is an acceptable "trick" for when you're going into a challenging situation and want to enjoy some carbs--fajitas at a Mexican restaurant, or when you have guests and you want to order pizza for dinner (like last night at my house! ). I don't recall him saying that was a three times a day kinda thing.

I just make sure I eat some sort of vegetable at every meal, and I don't find that I really need the...uuuhhhh... "movement" of a fiber laxative.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:48 AM   #8  

Default same thing

headache, nausea, and 'lack of movement'.

three days of benefiber and things are much better however not anywhere close to what they used to be. not that I mind, just being honest.

We're eating veggies for snacks, and at least two large portions of veggies for dinner.

I don't think I've ever had this much fiber - just seems ironic.

But like everyone else said, it works itself out.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:01 PM   #9  
WW Moderator

Ok Big Wheelz - I'll re-read too! Maybe I misread it!
Old 01-28-2004, 12:29 AM   #10  

Height: 5' 8"

Pretty sure I read it the same way you did Jennifer...another reason was to give you the feeling of fullness while you were eating so you would not over eat...guess I will re-read it to.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #11  
WW Moderator

Ok, I don't have the book - it is at Suzanne's house. I read an old chat from Prevention. It wasn't by Dr A, but his staff. It says this:

"kbgone: I am in Phase 1 of the program and am finding I have a real problem with irregularity. What will fix the irregularity?
During Phase 1 a decrease in intake of grains, i.e. fiber, may cause irregularity. Some dehydration may also be attributed. Make sure you are getting adequate fluids; also try a fiber supplement before meals such as Metamucil or Benafiber. Using the fiber supplements before meals helps bowel function and also decreases the hypoglycemic index of the meal. Gradually increase the fiber until you are regular."

So it just says 'before meals' and might not mean every meal.

I also read on somebody's blog that Dr. A supposedly recommends 30-60 grams of fiber a day, and that our ancestors ate over 100 grams a day, but modern man eats an average of 20. This is all second hand info - I don't know if there is any truth to it!
Old 06-30-2004, 06:09 PM   #12  
Faith in me

man I thought I was the only one with this problem. I'm eating my veggies and drinking my water...but that's not working....I guess I should go out and get the Metamucil too....I hope that works
Old 07-01-2004, 09:05 AM   #13  

I have to take the Metamucil twice a day to keep me from getting constipated. I eat a lot of beans and vegetables but it just isn't enough without the SF Metamucil. And I drink lots of water.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:02 AM   #14  

Default Glad I'm not Alone

Thanks for posting. I was wondering why I was having this problem. It's not bad, but it is comforting knowing that it is normal. The thought of drinking Metamusil doesn't please me. However, I drink enough water and eat enough veggies and get more than enough exercise, so I guess, that's next.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:43 AM   #15  

Take a fiber pill like FiberCon instead of drinking the nasty Metamusil.
Closed Thread