Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 09:19 AM   #1  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Default Turtle Club - #After the crash

Hi, tortoises. I'm VERY bummed that we lost all those wonderful posts you sent me during the past week. I don't suppose anyone here has a copy?

Well, I certainly won't forget all that support, and it definitely has helped me get back on track.

On the bright side, if this is really still November, as our posts indicate, I still weigh only 189 pounds! And I still have my trip to Italy to look forward to. And my brother still lives around here! Hey, I'm liking this.

Ah, well. It is, in fact, January 7, 2004. We have very cold temperatures out there -- 8 degrees yesterday. It's snowing today, again. Well, it's January, so I can't really complain.

OK, the good news: I have been within my points for two days now, and exercised both days. I've used only 1.5 flex points. My clothes are a little looser. I can do this.

How are you all doing?

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 01-07-2004, 09:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi Turtles:

Hope everyone had a great Christmas & Happy New Year.

I went to my WW mtg Mon night & was up 4.6# since Dec 15th
missed 2 meetings. So I am back at it & went to curves Mon & going again tonight. Now,my goal is to lose 35# by April since I
am going to Vegas.

That might be a little out of range but I will try.

Hope everyone is refocused, recharged and remotivated for the upcoming year.

Have a great one.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:47 AM   #3  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Thanks, Lauren, for getting us started again. The last time I was here they were still crashed. I love the lamb avatar. It's a great picture.

I didn't save the most recent posts, Lauren. I wish I had, but here's another . I'm glad to hear that you're back OP. YAY!

Hey, bandit, nice to see you. Good luck with your goal. That's about 2 pounds a week. It's doable, if your body cooperates. If it doesn't, be glad with what you get. The downside of setting weight loss by specific time goals is that because you can't control how fast the pounds come off, if you don't get there and you've been perfectly OP, it's easy to get discouraged and give up. On the other hand, Lauren has been pretty successful in the past by setting small goals and reaching or exceeding them.

TOM finally got here today. I've been writing down everything. I've been taking my supplements and drinking my water. Those three things have been my goal during the past week. I'm sticking with that for the next 3 or 4 days. Then I'll start adding the other parts of the program back.

Judy and choosewell-I hope you're both doing well.

Is everyone moving, at least a little? On these cold January days remember--exercise warms you up!
Old 01-07-2004, 02:22 PM   #4  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs down

DEar Turtles,
Boy am I glad that I could get back to posting. Thanks for re-establing this site. Lauren, I was thinking most about you and I am so thankful that we had all had a chance to send our support before the site crashed.

Lin,
I'm so glad you're tackling TOM. You sound good.

Lauren,
So glad our support helped you get started back on track.

Bandit2,
Great idea to weigh in and face the music. Now on to a slimmer you by Vegas!

n2aswan,
Good luck with all you're doing

Choosewell,
How are you doing?

I want all our little turtles back in a row all trying to hang onto and establish a healthy lifestyle.

I went to WW's WI last night and it didn't work out too well.
The week before I went in the morning of New Year's Eve. Yesterday I was back to my dinnertime WI. However, I had a new resolution of eating regularly on the day of my WI rather than trying to get an AM weight in the PM. Silly, but that's me. I even weigh my outfits to make sure I'm not wearing anything that will make me heavier than the week before. To cut this short, I'm up 2.6# but I still have saved 17# for the year 2003.
Now, like Bandit2, I'm setting a goal for myself. I am determined to end the WW's year of July 1,2003- July1, 2004 with a 50 pound loss! I just have to do this for my sanity! Even that kind of a loss keeps me in the obese category, but I'm running as fast as I can!

This week I've gotten back to exercising and drinking water. I'm journaling every speck of food and treating myself right. I am posting regularly here and looking for and giving support because I know that when I get quiet, I'm usually in food trouble.

Good luck to all of us. We are going to do this together. Hold on, it's gonna be a wild ride!

Love,
Judy
234/216.6/thinner
Old 01-07-2004, 04:16 PM   #5  
consistent

S/C/G: 227.8/216.2/210 challenge goal

Height: 5'7"

Little Turtlesques! Doing Arabesques!

I tried to respond to Lauren and Bandit this morning, but the system didn't want to play with me yet. Must have been working it's way through the alphabet by real last name or something.

Big News...I happily rejoined Monday at lunch! I'm so so happy. Journaling and OP so far this week, with walks tossed in. Also took on Curves for the year. Judy, now all the little turtles are back in a row, we are all gathered in a turtle dance. When oh when will there be a turtle smilie added to the smilie vocab?

In the meantime, only a dancing banana will do:

So, Lauren, Lin, Bandit, Judy, Swannie, greetings and Happy New Year. In a way doesn't it feel as though the slate has been wiped clean, metaphorically and physically, with the loss of those threads?

Now, let us raise our water glasses in a turtle cheer!

choosewell.

Last edited by choosewell; 01-07-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:25 PM   #6  
Chick

Thumbs down

Hi Turtles,
We are all back in a row! Hooray.
Choosewell, you always make me giggle. Thanks!
Also big for joining WW. I get your point about erasing that last month or so. Wish I could get my body to cooperate.

Last night dh was in a funk, so I joined him by eating stuff I never keep in the house. Now I know that was stupid, but in the mode of asking for support when I need it, here I am. Anyway, I pointed it out, took the Flexpoints I needed and started today with the same stuff! I mean, how long will it take to get through my head that I can't do that? Anyway, I counted the points in, felt full, and have my food planned for the rest of the day. I should be fine--but whether I am or not, I'm posting.

Bandit2, Swannie, Lin, and Lauren, you guys are the best. I was so thrilled to see that 3fatchicks was back in business.

Let's do this! No guilt, keep on movin', we are the best!
Love,
Judy
234/216.6/thinner
Old 01-08-2004, 05:46 PM   #7  
Turtle Extraordinaire

OK, first things first. Would you all like to share your email addresses so if this site goes down again for a prolonged period we can still contact each other? If so, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send out an email to everyone. I already have Lin's address.

Bandit, Vegas in April, eh? How long will you be out there for?

Lin, glory hallelujah that PMS is over. Looks like you have a good plan for getting back on track.

Judy, do you know why you're having trouble with the crappy food right now? Do you think it's at all connected with the (very manageable) weight gain you saw at the WW meeting? And by the way, a HUGE WAY TO GO on keeping off 17 pounds for the year!!!! Woo-HOO!!! When we have a lot to lose, we can too easily dismiss a number like 17 pounds. But 17 pounds is a clothing size. Or two. Multiply it by 5 to see how much pressure you've taken off your feet when you walk. 17 pounds is fabulous.

Choosewell, good for you rejoining WW! Way to go. I'm still not sure when I'll do that, but before summer certainly.

I've been doing well with the exercise; did my 1-hour Richard Simmons "Dance Your Pants Off" video this morning. Made me smile. I've done reasonably well with my points, have only used 6 flex points. But today I let myself get too hungry and didn't have lunch until 3 o'clock. Mistake! I ended up eating a 22-point lunch! Yes, I counted it. So I'm up to 26 points for the day, before dinner. Fortunately, I'm not exactly hungry for dinner, so I'll probably just have a piece of fruit and a piece of string cheese. That'll mean five additional flex points, which I can afford.

I'm doing my taxes today (I have to file quarterly taxes because I'm self employed). Gee, think that might have something to do with my overeating binge? Hmmm ...

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 01-10-2004, 10:28 AM   #8  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I'm glad to see everyone's back and starting to post. It's the weekend, though, so I don't expect to see a lot of action here. I hope you all manange some in your exercise lives.

Choosewell, interesting observation about wiping the slate clean. Too bad we can't wipe out the consequences the same easy way. Way to go with rejoining WW and Curves.

I'm doing OK. Still following my plan. TOM has gotten past the bad stage. Since I count points from dinner to dinner, I'm starting again at dinner tonight. I've been writing it down, now it's time to get back within my point range.

We get our second assignment in the novel class tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting going with that. I keep getting ideas, which I'm writing in the file, but I'm trying not to get ahead of the class. Meanwhile, I'm working on my other projects.

I hope you all are doing well and that you're moving.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:01 PM   #9  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Default Oh may I please join?

I just adore turtles, I've been trying WW's at home since early December and I've got over 100 pounds to lose. That sounds like I'd fit in, no? I'd just love to join you all. I've posted at the Floozies and I thought I was subscribed to one of the 100+ threads, but I can use all the help I can get. Wonderful site/wonderful people.

Mary in West Virginia
Old 01-10-2004, 01:09 PM   #10  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
And welcome to Javababy! We love having new turtles to join us.
Hop on line and off we go!

All goes well here. I'm exercising and journaling. Yesterday I had a very light supper of shrimp and a tiny potato. Well, I was hungry in the evening, so started eating foods that are perfectly fine and I kept on journaling. The scale was kind this morning and I am still OP.

It is freezing here in NY. I feel sorry for my upstate friends and family because here in southern NY it is only 3 degrees. We broke a record. Brrrr. Hey, if I hang out outside for an hour or so do you think I'd lose weight? Of course I could lose my mind too.

I've been very busy since the New Year and I am focusing on not going into a post holiday slump. I've gathered photos and put them in my album and I've reorganized cabinets, etc. Am thinking of pursuing a little fung shue (I know that's spelled wrong, but I'm too lazy to check.)

Welcome to everybody, keep on movin' and let's all be successful and post everything.
Love,
Judy
234/down/thinner
Old 01-11-2004, 07:28 PM   #11  
consistent

S/C/G: 227.8/216.2/210 challenge goal

Height: 5'7"

Hello, hello.

Nice dancing banana, Judy.

Mary, welcome! Please come by anytime you are in the neighborhood. The Turtles are a great group facing similar challenges to yours.

I didn't have much problem journaling this week, because I wrote what I would eat for breakfast and lunch the night before. That helped immensely (pardon the allusion!). I also wrote down 3 snacks, and checked them off if I ate them. I only Curved one time, and it felt good to be back. I actually went in response to a certain rising grumpiness, and chose to exer instead of eat!!!! Big news huh?

My brother came to visit me, he was on business travel in AR and drove down for the weekend. He ran his first marathon this year, so I took him to the mile park and I walked 2, he ran 4 and then we walked a half together. He left today and I decided to use yesterday as momentum and headed off to get 3 miles in alone.

I'm out of shape! Got a good nap and now I'm all in.

So, anyone planning to do something different in the new year?

xo choosewell.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:53 AM   #12  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Lin,
Good luck with the novel class. Isn't it great to have more ideas than you can work on at one time? I also want to congratulate you on your perserverance working onWW's through you TOM and following a plan that is working for you.

Lauren,
Yes, in response to what you said about my eating foods I know better than to eat: I'm sure part of it was in response to my weight gain. I also know it had to do with my dh's worry about something medical. We got to the doc, and it turned out he's fine. It makes me think about how many times I've wasted good emotion on something that didn't need me to worry. And of course, then I would eat over it. I know that those of you who have gotten to know me in this site know that I'm working on overcoming that response.
I also want to give myself a pat on the back because we attend lots of social occasions and I am working through the foods I want to eat during those times. Also--thanks for reminding me that 17# down is great and I surely don't want those pounds back. You know I was hoping to lose more and to be stronger in my dedication, but I'll take the 17# and run with that success.
Onward and downward!
And about you: Great getting the exercise tape out and doing it. That's got to make you feel you're heading in the right directon.

Choosewell,
Exercise in response to an emotional state? How novel! Wow, you must be so proud of yourself that you exercised instead of eating.
And planning and writing out the menu for the next day works for a lot of people. That's exactly what I did when I was in OA and it worked for me. I lost over 60# in about nine months--of course I was 36years old at the time.
But good for you! It's so easy to fool ourselves, and when you have everything written down beforehand, it 's a good guideline and also a check against eating something you hadn't planned for.
I'm not doing that right now, but as the day goes on, if I've eaten a little higher points than I want, in the margin of my spiral notebook, I remind myself of foods that would fit in with lower points and then I eat them as I need them rather than throwing the day away with high high point foods.

Me: Choosewell, my something different will be to not go into excess anything now that the holidays are past. I am going to tackle the exercise as close to daily as I can and I'm getting the food where I want it to be.

Good luck to everyone--
Love,
Judy
234/216.6/thinner
Old 01-12-2004, 12:05 PM   #13  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hello, and welcome to Mary! We love to have new people join us.

Judy, you sound really focused -- WTG. I like your tip about writing low-point food options in the margins of your journal. Smart.

Choosewell, ya know, I always do well when I write down ahead of time what I'm going to eat. I so rarely do it, though, and I'm not sure why. Thanks for that reminder. Planning ahead really does make a big difference. And good going on the exercise!

As for doing something differently in the new year ... yes, I've recommitted to regular exercise. It's sanity-making. And it feels good, too. The hardest part is the 15 minutes or so *before* I start working out--i.e., making myself do it. Once I'm down there and moving, I'm golden.

Well, I'm down 5 pounds this week. That leaves me at 6 pounds up for the month of December, which is still awful but not catastrophic. I figure now that the easiest pounds are off, it'll take me about 4-6 weeks to get back down to my pre-December weight. That's sort of awful to think about, so I won't! I'll just keep putting one foot in front of the other and be grateful that I'm back on track and being good to myself again.

On the much more inspirational side, I was thinking that I could be at my 100-pound mark by summer if I stay focused. That would mean losing an additional 21 pounds. I could get there by my birthday (in August), which would mean losing about 3 pounds a month. I could do that. And I would be SO geeked to get down to that mark. It would mean not just being at the 100 pound mark but also no longer being classified as obese. I would seriously enjoy that.

So that's my weight loss goal, long-ish term. It excites me to think about.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/195.5/189 by mid-March
Old 01-12-2004, 02:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi turtles:

Lauren - I am staying 5 days, 4 nights in Vegas (sounds short, but isn't in Vegas time)
Nice weight loss for you this week, keep up the good work.
Good luck with your taxes.

Lin - as far as my exercise, I went to curves 3 x last week & shovelled snow for an hour last night. Will probably have to do more tonight.

Mary - welcome to the group, lots of great motivation & tips here.

Choosewell - nice job on the walking.

Judy - 17# is awesome, congrats to you.

My goal this week is to stay OP, go to Curves and behave myself on the weekend.
My next little get-away is at the end of this month. We have a group of 14 going to Niagara Falls for a 3 night stay.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well and has a great OP day.

Bye for now.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:14 PM   #15  

Hi everyone!

This is my first time being able to post here after the crash! I was able to read everyone's posts, but I had trouble with my password. So, I missed you all!

I am not sure if you were able to read one of my last pre-crash posts. I wanted to let you know if you were interested, that the WW quick start program is only being offered through January 31st where I am (in Chicago). This may be the case everywhere. After that, I will post it if anyone wants it.

I am doing ok. My hip hop class on Saturdays ended last week. The instructor was a cast member of 'The Lion King' and it was time for him to move on. I still have my Monday's hip hop class and afterwards the instructor has volunteered to help me to lift weights more efficiently ie. achieve better results. I am unused to having anyone help me with anything, mostly because I am very self-sufficient so I was shocked by the offer. I will probably give her a gift certificate to Border's because she would normally be paid for this work. I have had 2 sessions so far. She was impressed with how flexible I am and said that I am kind of muscular (underneath the fat layers of course!). Maybe one day, I will actually look like it.

I must go, but I am thinking of all of you. Lauren, happy to hear that you're back on track. Congratulations! Good for everyone that you are now attacking this problem we share.
Closed Thread