Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 01:00 AM   #1  
For my HEALTH...

Question WLS in the news recently

Does anyone know why the recent death of a WLS patient in Boston received so much notice in the news?

I guess we all have read that unfortunately some people do die after WLS but you usually do not hear about it on CNN and the news stations.

Is it because it is unusal for the Staple Instrument to misfire?
That is apparently what happened in Boston last week.

Does anyone have any additional info on this particular case?

Thanks,
Pookie

P.S. The recent posts by KathyT "Frustrated" really hit home to me. I think a lot of us are concerned because it is so hard for us to lose weight no matter how much we cut back on our food intake. And one fear is to go thru the WLS and then not lose that much weight!!
I am trying to lose weight in preparation for getting the surgery in the future. The first week I was on an 800 calorie diet I lost a lot of weight but I was so disappointed when the 2nd week was over and I only lost 1/2 of a pound after 7 days of 800 calories!!!! Maybe I cut back too much on the calories and it slowed my metabolism not sure?
Old 11-11-2003, 06:30 AM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

The reason it made news was because it was the Drs fault. The staple gun failed and he did not doubble check. Accually the first row failed and he put in a second and didn't check the second. it really had nothing to do with the surgery.
I live in the Boston area and this was BIG news.....
Old 11-11-2003, 01:53 PM   #3  

I heard that the hospital did not suspend the doctor because they didn't think it was his fault. That it was still under investigation with the manufacturer of the staple gun. Let's not be quick to judgment.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:05 PM   #4  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I am not Judging, the other thing I meant to add, my friend told me this morning, she is a hospital addministrater in the boston area, is that it is the second time it has happened to this Dr, but there are more than 2000 deaths per year due to staple failure.

I personall believin in this surgery for the right reasons, i do not wish to share them now but i do.
-L
Closed Thread