Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 10:10 PM   #1  
missaprylj

Arrow Operation: Reboot Apryl!

AHHH! I just got mad at myself today. I realized frankly, I haven't lost an ounce in almost two years. And I feel like a TOTALY hypocrite for coming here and being all "into it" when I'm totally NOT. And the worst part is, I have been trying... just evidently not hard enough.

So the light clicked on today as I was filling out my application for my temporary Driver's License and it said, weight:

I put 190 and frankly I'm not happy about it, but hey, I'm NOT putting 230 on there thank you very much.

So... I have six months to get my weight somewhere RESPECTABLE to put on my acutal driver's license.

Please help me. I need all the support advice that I can get here, and I need to come up with an ACTUAL plan.

Last edited by missaprylj; 11-04-2003 at 11:09 PM.

Old 11-04-2003, 10:48 PM   #2  
Searching

What if instead of kicking your butt I told you that I am here for you Apryl?That your a good person. That you deserve all the things you want in life and that includes being thin. Life isn't just about what we put in our mouths, but its what we give back that really counts. And that food is just a thing that might seem so important, that protects from our feelings and other people. But it also hurts us, and drives us to seek the solitude of this place.

When your ready you'll get off the food binge/diet rollercoaster you have already gotten on. And I will still be here for you. We all will.

Miss Chris
Old 11-04-2003, 11:08 PM   #3  
missaprylj

Thanks Miss Chris!! That was sweet.

I already took one *major* step that I've never taken before... I let two of my friends in on this. (And I plan to let in 1 or 2 more.) I think that with them knowing/helping me, I'll feel more responsible for my own actions.

Old 11-04-2003, 11:19 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

hmmmmm. apryl. hmmmm. lots of food for thought here. and believe me, it's late and i'm tired and i have no intention of putting on my butt-kicking boots, especially since i've moisturized the tootsies...

your 'plan' to plan sounds like a plan!!! simply because you're trying something different seems like a good direction whatever you've been doing hasn't worked, so some change is certainly in order. what kind of help are you looking to your friends to supply? and what else are you thinking of doing differently? a baby step program? maybe???

and like the gorgeous chris said.. we're not going anywhere.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:38 AM   #5  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

I don't really have any advise for you but I wanted to say good luck in your weight loss journey and I look forward to watching the results on the board. I'm taking it slow with a lot of mini-goals to keep me motivated (and to keep me from getting discouraged at the big picture).

I also refuse to put on my butt kicking boots - but that's because while you might need a little helpful push you don't need a kick. I don't see that you "haven't lost an ounce in almost two years" - I see that you haven't GAINED in two years and that takes work!

Again, good luck! There will always be people on the board to help you over the rough patches.

Melissa
Old 11-05-2003, 09:04 AM   #6  

Apryl-
Have you ever used fit day? I use it often to see what i am really eating. There are many days i am eating too little and need to adjust for that but there are some foods i dont realize how many calories there are in them. It is also helpful in seeing what your major food group is such as carbs proteins or fat. I have 2 cousins who are married to each other. Both have been overweight all there lives. They started doing atkins and they eat the same things. He has lost over 90 lbs and she has lost barley 40. The atkins may not be the best program for her.

My mother and 6 of her siblings are diabetic so when my mothers dr told her to try to reduce her refined carbs i looked long and hard at my own diet because i dont want to become diabetic. I realised that i ate ALOT of pasta potatos and bread. When i cut my carbs back to 45 or less a meal i started losing fast. I just finally found what works for me and my mom, she has lost 80 lbs since then.

I hope you find what works for you. I would give alot to be able to go back and know at your age what i know now and have been able to change it all back then.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Don't get mad--get glad! Hey, you haven't gained anything, and from everything I've heard maintenance is the hardest thing to do. Speaking from experience, people can put on a lot of weight in two years! You didn't!

Having been gaining and losing since I hit puberty, I can say that trying to lose weight in the high school years is the hardest. Why did I always have skinny friend who ate candy bars? But you're a strong person, and you've got lots of support from all of us, and now your friends. Be sure, though, to tell them exactly how you want them to support you. Sometime's people's first tendencies are to become "the diet police" and I'm sure that's not what you want.

Coming up with a plan is an excellent thing to do. Take those babysteps like the other thread mentions. Start with something simple like upping your water intake and saying no to that third piece of pizza or that second helping of whatever. Look at exercise--what are you doing? When you go out, can you have your friends (or whoever drives you), park just a few blocks way so you can get in a two-block walk. You'd be incredibly surprised what making little changes like this can do. On another forum, a poster removed white stuff from her diet. That's the only change she's made, and she's lost 9 lbs. in the last two weeks. Now she's going to work on portion control in addition to avoiding white stuff.

So definitely no butt-kicking from this group--maybe just a gentle push in the right direction to help you start that journey to a new, healthy, incredible you!
Old 11-05-2003, 01:49 PM   #8  
Crazy Canuck

I'm joining the club here Apryl - no way am I kicking you in the butt when you're doing a good enough job of beating up on yourself right now! As others here have said, although you may not have lost much over the past two years, you haven't gained either and that's an accomplishment in itself (and take it from someone who knows - I gained 70lbs in the first two years after I quit smoking!).

One thing I have to wonder though - you had a good monthly challenge in October, so that leads me to believe you were doing the water, exercise and food thing properly and should have lost. Is it possible something medical could be holding you back from losing - perhaps hormonal or thyroid? Have you spoken to a doctor at all? Just a thought.

Off the weight topic, I'd just like to add that you're a sweet, intelligent girl who's been dealing with all the pressures and issues of your age very maturely and I'm impressed.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:04 PM   #9  
beautiful

i agree with the others. y ou dont need a butt kicking! you have done so many good things for so many people here! you will find what works for you i really believe that. i have no words of wisdom because i still feel a little like you described.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:14 PM   #10  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Apryl - I've been coming to 3FC for 4 years and I haven't lost hardly any weight either. Does that make it a waste of my time to come here and read and post? NO WAY!!! Before I discovered 3FC I had no idea that other people felt the same way I did. I felt so alone about being overweight. It has helped me a lot in self acceptance if not helping me lose any weight. As great as this site is and all the people here you are the only one that can do it. No one is going to jump all over you because you haven't lost any weight. It helps other people that you have a positive and upbeat attitude.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:45 PM   #11  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Hey Apryl,

I agree with everyone here - especially the fact that you should be very proud that you haven't GAINED any weight in two years. That's a big accomplishment!

jennelle
Old 11-05-2003, 10:04 PM   #12  
missaprylj

Thanks all of you... really. Well, I made some good tough choices today, so I'm happy. I'm still developing a plan though. Grr!!

Jiffy---- Yes. Little steps, I've never been one to plunge into anything. It just doesn't suit me. I think next is going to be exercising. Really, I need to increase it. I'm not sure how/how much, but it'll come to me.
Melissa---- Good idea. I think I am going to consider some small steps because no matter what I do I'm always like "well, still 80 pounds to go!" It discourages me. Thanks.
Julie-------- I love fitday, but I find it *so!* time consuming, that it's almost not worth it. I think I definetly don't get enough protein/fiber though, too much carbs as well. I'll have to figure out something there. Hmmm...
Sheila Thanks. I think that carbs are definetly a problem for me so that whole "white" thing could be leading towards something. And, while I don't think I could be so drastic, I think maybe I'll try to reduce whites.
Jill Yes, I have contemplated that it could be medical, but my dad is like, an oldfashioned fuddy duddy who says that unless I'm bleeding or unconscience he's not paying for a doctor. :S My other thought is though... I want a *NEW* scale! We've had this one forever, and it's really fruity.
Shelly Thanks for your reply. I am *really* working on finding what works for me. I'm definetly going by trial and error though!
Jen------------
Jen GOOD POINT! I never thought of it that way. Wow, thanks.
Jennelle Thanks to you too. Thanks, really.

Thanks ya'll.

Closed Thread