Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 08:28 AM   #1  
Turtle Buddy

Default Turtle Club #113

Hi, Turtles,

Here's the fable that started it all:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for several years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We've been reflecting on what the turtle philosophy means as we start our second hundred posts. The turtle philosophy was a difficult one for people to accept. People want the weight off--NOW!! But reality is that it took time to put it on and it will take time to take it off. People want it to be easy to take off the weight. But reality is that it's not easy. You can have a program that's easy to follow, but following it steadily--that's hard. People don't want to exercise much, if at all. But reality is that our bodies were designed to move. So, we're setting realistic goals that take the weight off at a healthy pace. We're setting goals that will keep us moving steadily toward the healthy weight we want to be. And we're just plain moving. We're setting realistic exercise goals that will move our bodies the way they were meant to be moved.

We've also noticed that our turtle philosophy has affected the rest of our lives. I've started writing fiction again. I realize that I can finish a novel, or two, or ten. All I have to do is to set realistic daily goals, work steadily toward achieving them, and they will build up into finished books. Turtle Power at work in my everyday life.

Anyone who wants to join us in steadily moving toward all of our goals is welcome. I've met some wonderful people on this thread. I hope to meet many more. I know the battle with our weight is a difficult one. Having such supportive people come and post regularly keeps it from getting overwhelming. I hope to see many more people join us as we move forward on our journey.

Let's Get Moving!!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi everyone:

Lin - great job on the 3# - good for you!

Judy - How do you do your lentils? I have a bag of these in the cupboard but haven't cooked them before - some suggestions would be nice.

Anyway - had my meeting last night & was down 1# so I was happy with that considering the candy/chips over the weekend.
Will be extra good this week since I have a dinner on Fri night.

Hope everyone has a great OP day & drinks all their water :-)
Old 11-04-2003, 07:47 PM   #3  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi Turtles,
Bandit2~~Weigh to go. Down another pound is proof that Flexpoints works. Fabulous.

One way I make lentils is to chop 3 cups of onions, 1 cup carrots,
2 cloves of garlic, 4 oz. lean ham. SAute in a big pot sprayed with Pam. Then I add 5 cups of water, one can of beef broth ( or 12 oz. of water and two boullion cubes), chopped rosemary and salt and pepper, and 1 # of lentils that have been rinsed. Cook away until it's as tender as you like and enjoy. I figure 1/2 cup is 2 points and I find one cup is very filling for lunch. You can sprinkle it with a bit of parmesan cheese to make it extra yummy.

Lin and Choosewell,
How's the write-a-thon coming along? Sounds like fun.

Lauren,
Glad you're back with the complex carbs and feeling well.

I tackled another closet today and got on the treadmill. I'm a little disappointed because my scale isn't moving. tomorrow is my official WI and hopefully by avoiding major salt today I'll be able to shake off half a pound or so. I've got to get that microwave popcorn maker. That needs to be top priority because popcorn is such a filling snack, but the salt's way too much for me.

Onward and Downward, everyone.
Love,
Judy
234/217/thinner
Old 11-04-2003, 08:21 PM   #4  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Good job, Bandit. on the pound! If you PM me with your email address, I have a couple of great lentil soup recipes. I can't post them because they're copyrighted by someone else.

Judy, have faith. The scale didn't move for me for three weeks. Then it went down three pounds all at once. Plus if you're salt sensitive, that can cause you to retain water, masking the weight you actually lost.

I'm doing great today. I'm OP. I accrued a ton of activity points, but only ate about 3 of them for some cheese with my popcorn this afternoon. I needed some extra protein today.

I have a tape you should check into, Lauren. It's a Richard Simmons tape called "Broadway Sweat". It's a lot faster and more vigorous than his other tapes. You might enjoy it. For me, it's a heavy workout.

I'm on track with my NaNo novel. I'm actually ahead of schedule, but I have to stay ahead because I know that I won't be able to write on Thanksgiving and maybe not the day after, which is my birthday.

I hope you all are doing well. I hope you all are still moving.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:50 AM   #5  
Turtle Extraordinaire

First of all, WAY TO GO, LIN on those 3 pounds!!! You deserve a dancing banana! That's the turtle attitude writ large, to see no progress for three weeks and yet stick with it -- with the great payoff in the end! Woo-hoo! An inspiration for us all.

Bandit, WAY TO GO on that pound, too! Yahoo!

Lin, I want those lentil soup recipes, too. If you need my email address again, let me know.

Judy, your lentil soup looks great! I'll look forward to trying it. Hang in there re: not seeing the scale go down. It will. Consistency and persistance! And good for you, getting on that treadmill so faithfully.

Hi, Choosewell!

I was up a bit at my WW meeting last night, but I expected that when I brought carbs back in. Today I'm at 188.5, which is just a half pound above my lowest during my experiment. So I'm fine with that. I just want to get as far away from the 190s as possible--I'm sick to death of them!

Yesterday at work our project manager rewarded us by buying us all lunch--including brownies. I took mine home and gave it to DH. Somehow it's easier for me to do that when I've completely given up sugar. I guess moderation really is the hardest course sometimes.

Our record high temperatures are due to end today. I am SO looking forward to a killing frost -- my allergies (leaf mildew) are driving me nuts!

Just got ANOTHER article to write. Sheesh. I'm not complaining; I want the cash. But I'm really hoping I won't have to work this weekend again.

Best get to work.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/188.5/186 by Thanksgiving
Old 11-05-2003, 09:42 AM   #6  
consistent

S/C/G: 227.8/216.2/210 challenge goal

Height: 5'7"

Hellooooo! Did you think I had disappeared?

I had quite a weekend writing, I'm with Lin at over 10K. My weekdays are long at work, so I'm shooting for 1500-2k weekdays. It's going well, and of course I'm learning alot about myself in the process.

Bandit...do you like having a space all to yourself? I really like that, from being single in my 30's I think. I have my studio and also Betty's Room to kind of hang out in. Before we moved to this bigger house I was ready to leave my husband (not necessarily the marriage, is that obscure or what?) because I had no space. My mom actually told me to just get a bigger house, because she said I had always needed to be alone. I just needed to get away from his breathing! lol.... oh love in the 40's is nothing like young love...

Big pats on the back all around on all the weight loss. I think we all did it this week! I was down .4 (Point Four Rules! is my new motto), so I lost half of that irritating gain last week.

Judy, I sent you a pm for that photo, can't wait to see you as a man-eating plant. Chocolate! (wasn't that one of the cries from that movie?) And, thanks for the lentils recipe. Like Bandit I have the obligatory bag of them at home, but had no idea what to do with them.

Lauren, your 188.5 crept up on me. I was so glad to see that. You are nearing my old "alarm weight"...and I'm living vicariously through your progress toward the 170's. Go!

Lin are you having trouble getting activity in with the writing effort? I must get better at stretching and walking as breaks. Over the weekend my steps lagged below 10K, which is very unusual for me. Congratulations on increasing your words while you decrease your waist!

Turtle Power..works for writing and for weight loss!

choosewell.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:47 AM   #7  
consistent

Lauren, you set such a good example with that brownie that you gave to your DH...I just went down to Starbucks and they had beautiful little samples of cranberry bread...so moist...so yummy...so fattening.

I brought a sample up for my skinny work partner, who cheered up when I gave it to him. Double bonus points for ending the crankies early by giving away high point food.

Thanks, hon!

cw.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:10 PM   #8  

Hi everyone:

Thanks for all the encouraging words & bravo's.

Judy - Thanks for the recipe, will definately try that soon & good
luck at w/i & remember think "skinny" thoughts.

Lin - great job being OP & getting in exercise. That is one of my downfalls - it I miss a day turns into 2, et, etc.

Lauren - Good for you taking the brownies home - nice willpower.

Choosewell - Yes, I think I need some private space. My mom thinks I am "moody" but sometimes I think people need to be alone. I enjoy spending a few hours sometimes "doing nothing"
alone. I need to create my own little space at bf instead of feeling I should go back to other house for some privacy. He has his office, daughter has own bedroom & computer room and all the cats have everywhere. I will have to work on this.

Anyway hope you all have a great OP day.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:26 PM   #9  
Chick

DEar Guys,
I'm really sleepy. Daughter stayed late tonight and we had a great time. Went to Outback for dinner and I made lots of good choices. I'll catch up with responses this weekend. You're all great!

My WI was another success. I'm down another .8# and now I weight 216.2. I'm chipping away at this weight at one of the most difficult quarters of the calendar year. Hooray! We can all do this.

Love \
Judy
234/216.2/thinner
Old 11-06-2003, 08:38 AM   #10  
consistent

Judy congrats on that .8!

And thanks for reminding us that in spite of the microcosm onslaught of holiday goodies, we are 'chipping away' at the 'bigger picture.'

Have a blast today, everyone. May I give you lemon or lime slices in your ice water today?

choosewell.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:26 AM   #11  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Hey, Lauren. What a great way to handle that brownie. I hope you get the article done and the weekend off.

Choosewell, ! Another .4 down. Talk about chipping away at this. I admire your persistence.

Way to go with the NaNo, too. I'm up to 14,367. It's a little below where I wanted to be, but I'm not behind where I need to be to reach the 50K. Yesterday's scene just poured out. But it wasn't quite enough words to push me over 2K. I needed think time to figure out what to write next and never got back to doing the rest of my 2K goal.

It shouldn't surprise you that you need to be alone, either. You're a writer. Needing solitude at times comes with the job.

Exercise--well, I'm not working, other than writing and taking care of the house stuff. So, I get to set my own schedule. I pick a good time, take a break and do my tape. Unfortunately, yesterday was really strange and I didn't get it done. Today I will.

Judy! Another .8 down. You're really going strong now. Congratulations on the good choices at Outback.

Here's my big problem for the month. What do I do to celebrate turning 50? I refuse to get depressed about age numbers. I like to do something new or different or extra special on the biggies. My philosophy on getting older: You can't stop aging, but you can enjoy every day you have on this earth to the best of your ability. So, isn't that a fun problem? Too many choices and I can't seem to pick. Although, doing the NaNo challenge was my birthday present to myself.

My immediate goals: stay OP. Do my tape. Journal. Write 2K. The usual.

Moving? YES!
Old 11-06-2003, 09:58 AM   #12  

Hi ladies:

Judy - congrats on the loss - you're heading in the right direction.
Have to let us know what you had at Outback - I couldn't find too many "point friendly" options there.

Lin - turning 50! Well I turned 50 last March and bf threw me a surprise party, so that was fun. Got some $50 bills, 50 red roses and 50 balloons floating around - so it was really fun.

I think a "50's" style party would be neat. Everyone could dress-up 50's style, play great music you can actually dance to, and maybe decorate in a "diner style" with fun-type food.

I didn't get bummed about turning 50 - just a number. I feel better than I did at 40 - use to be a smoker then. But quit 5 yrs ago & that has made a huge difference in how I feel overall.

Hope everyone is doing well & staying OP and getting in all their water. Bye for now.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:02 AM   #13  
Chick

Thumbs down

Hi Turtles,
Yahoo! We are doing great!

Lin,
for going three weeks of doing the right thing without the scale moving. There was a gal at WW's last night who was positively angry that she had done everything right and gained weight at the scale. I really think she was so emotional and furious that she was heading home to eat bigtime. I hope she didn't, but being a pretty decent judge of character I'm afraid that where she was heading. Too bad, because that guarantees a true weight gain. Lin--I'm so proud of you that you hung in there and had a glorious reward. Hey, turning 50 wasn't bad--I thought I looked pretty young for 50. Turning 60 was another matter and yet you're right. It's important to do something great for the milestones. Let us know what you figure out and when the big event is.

Lauren,
188.5# is looking mighty good to me. You are moving away from the 190's and that's so important. Weigh to go! I hope to break 200# by March. In a sense, it's weird to come to terms with how long it will take to do this if I do everything right!
I am averaging 1# a week with treadmill and points. It's almost depressing, and then I shout, "Hey, the time goes by anyway! What else could you do that would be more valuable than gaining a healthy lifestyle? By the end of the year you'll be so much closer to your preferred weight and you'll be more fit." I do a lot of self-talk! Honestly, working this hard, I'd like to drop 70 or so pounds by Christmas. However, let's get real. So Lauren, I
your perserverance and your figuring out how to drop pounds as you go on this journey--fitting in work, dh, travel, and life in general. Weigh to go!

Bandit2,
You sound like you really know yourself and what you need. I'm wishing you a that you get it. Privacy is so important and I find myself really enjoying the hour or so I have in the morning before dh is awake and ready to start the day. We have a lot of togetherness because he and I are both recently retired.
The adjustment is interesting and I think we are doing super well, but it's safe to say that I am sure both of us wish the other would just disappear every once in awhile! Good luck to you. I'm glad you joined us turtles and that you're on the right food track!

Choosewell,
You've just gotta love moms. Recommending a bigger house was so smart. Glad you've found space for yourself. Weigh to go on your .4# weight loss. You're knocking off that small gain and going in the right direction. Thanks for the comments about my costume. If I had realized how slimming it was, I wouldn't have thrown it out quite so quickly. And by the way, I'd like some lemon in my water. Glug, glug, glug.

DH's birthday is this Saturday, so I have to plan and prepare and make room for points for the celebration. With Flexpoints it is so much more manageable, and yet I have the big goal of losing weight every week by keeping on doing what I know I have to do. I have noticed in WW's that the women who get an award, and say how easy the program is usually drop out within the next couple of weeks. Man, I would never call this easy. If it were easy, I wouldn't have overeaten to the point where I am. Duh!
But I can say without qualms that it is doable, one day at a time.
Here's a for us all. Writers keep on writers, space seekers, keep on finding nooks and crannies, Turtles--keep on track.
Love,
Judy
234/216.2/thinner
Old 11-07-2003, 10:04 AM   #14  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Nice to hear from you, Bandit. Thanks for the suggestions about a 50s party.

Hey, Judy, thanks for the story about the woman at your meeting. A lot of people have unrealistic expectations about what happens when they follow a balanced, healthy weight-loss program. They think it's a matter of being good this week, get a weight loss. Unfortunately, our bodies are not privy to WW schedules. They didn't read the rule book. So, we have to stick with it and take the losses when our bodies are ready to give up the weight.

As for my 3 week maintain thing, with my weird hormones, I figure it's not something to worry about unless it's at least 6 weeks of no losses.

Judy, you hit it exactly. It's doable, one day at a time.

I realized something last night. When I started 123 Success, I lost 50 pounds. Then I gained some, but not all of it back. If you add the weight I've lost recently to the weight that stayed off, I'm about halfway back to that 50 pound loss.

I'm staying the same for the moment. Since PMS is starting, I'm not complaining. I didn't do my tape yesterday. I had errands, so I went for an hour and 45 minute walk. I think that's a good substitute. I noticed something about exercise. On the days I exercise more, I crave an extra serving of protein and I usually consume it as an ounce of cheese. Calcium and protein together. Weird, but it keeps me from being so hungry that I overeat something else.

NaNo is going well, too. I'm at 15,075. I'm seeing the story taking shape. It's really exciting.

I hope you all are doing well. M-o-o-o-ving?
Old 11-07-2003, 03:08 PM   #15  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Just wrote a nice, long, newsy reply -- and lost it. GAAAAHH.

No time to write another one right now. But -- hello to everyone anyway. I'll try to write more later.

-- Lauren
Closed Thread