PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 07:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Question BCP Mircette?

I know that tri-phasal pills are a no-no with PCOS, but my doc wants me to try this for it's control of break-through bleeding and spotting.
*taken from their website*
MIRCETTE® (desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol and ethinyl estradiol) Tablets has excellent cycle control as demonstrated by clinical trials. The regimen begins with 21 days of 20 mcg ethinyl estradiol and 150 mcg desogestrel. The last seven days in the cycle start with two days of placebo pills, followed by five days of 10 mcg ethinyl estradiol pills.

Does this sound ok? From what I've read the lower dose pills are as effective as the 35 mcg's, with the benefits of less weight gain and hirsutism. Low incidence of androgenic effects, sounds good to me. Thanks for any input!
Old 10-02-2003, 09:18 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Sherrie, I did some reading on this. While most everybody says to stay away from Tri-Phasal pills, some doctors are saying that the Mircette pills are good because of the low estrogen...so I didn't find anything really definitive, but it looks like the jury was swinging more towards it being a good thing.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:02 AM   #3  
Rattie Lover

I was put on Yasmin. Who would of thought I would have to take B/C pills again after having a hysterectomy?? Ahh well..at least they are teensy tiny pills.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:25 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Yeah noodles, me too. Hysterectomy 5 years ago yet I still gotta take the buggers!
Old 10-03-2003, 05:59 PM   #5  

From what I've read, what my doctor has told me, and what I've experiened, a lot of this BCP stuff has to do with what your body can handle. I was originally on Mircette but I didn't like the cramps, etc. that I was experiencing with it. I switched to Ortho-tricyclen and I couldn't be more happy with it. I didn't gain weight, my skin looks good, and the cramping isn't as bad as it was before.

I know people who are on Yasmin and gained weight or lost weight, people on the patch that gained tons of weight.... it has to be a body chemistry thing. What I've come to learn is that with PCOS every woman is different in terms of hormone levels and sensitivity. It is so frustrating!

I hope Mircette works well for you!
Old 10-05-2003, 12:40 AM   #6  
Rattie Lover

IT seems like ever since I went on the Yasmin-Glucophage combo the weight is just peeling off. Never before in my life have I lost weight this fast unless I had the flu! It's great!! But I just dont want to have that saggy skin. bleah!! Bad enough the boobies are going to wind up that way. LOL!
Closed Thread