Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 12:44 PM   #1  

Default My Mommy

My mom had a VBG..She went from 250lbs to 89lbs in less than a year.. They had to do an emergency reversal or she would have been dead within a week. She couldn't keep anything down at all.....all the throwing up gave her throat cancer. Now she is back over 200 lbs and has an abdominal hernia.

This surgery was the worst thing that ever happened to her. There was nothing wrong with her in the beginning except she was fat.

I wanted to have the surgery myself,but after i saw what she went through, I said NO FREAKIN WAY!

I've been trying to do this ON MY OWN since then..gone from 352 to 251 in less than a year WITHOUT THE SURGERY. But now i've hit a plateau where i haven't lost anything in over 2 weeks. It's made me start thinking about the surgery again..that maybe it would be different for me than it was for mom. I wouldn't use the same surgeon that botched her up so bad. (they put the band on too tight)

I just don't get it..I lost 100lbs on my own,so why can't i lost the last 100? I'm staying under 20g of fat a day, and walk 2 miles everyday. That's just not working now

I'm discouraged. I want the surgery,but i don't want the surgery. I want to be thin,but i feel like it's never gonna happen now.
I'm 28yrs old and NEVER been thin. At 12yrs old i was over 200lbs. Maybe i'm just destined to be fat?
Old 09-21-2003, 03:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

I know it's hard when it's happening but 2 weeks isn't very long for a stall. After losing 100 pounds (WTG!!!) your body may need a chance to adjust. Dr. Atkins says not to consider it a stall unless it's been 4-6 weeks (an eternity when you're trying to lose weight!).

Keep up the good work.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:35 PM   #3  

skitzoette....an extremely neat name!

I am so sorry about your mom.

As to you and your weight loss, you have done so well so far. Please don't give up now. Kfs is right (she always is ) two weeks in the scheme of things is not a lot of time for your body to adjust. Even those of us who have had wls plateau for that amount of time or longer.

You don't mention what kind of diet plan you have been on, but I suggest you pay a visit to the gals on the low carb board. They really know their stuff and even if you are doing weight watchers they can help you with carb control and the glycemic index and that might help get you losing again. (although sometimes it is just a ...."I have to have patience and not get caught up in the failure type of game"! )

all the best to you!
peach
Old 09-21-2003, 04:52 PM   #4  

Thanks for the encouragement
Not really on any diet plan per say..i hate the word diet. Might as well just be DIE.heh
I just cut my fat grams down to 20g or less.I figure if little or no fat goes into my body,then it won't be there.

i don't think the low carb board is for me since carbs are basically all i eat....rice,noodles,cereal,etc..

a day for me includes something like this:
Breakfast-boiled egg and a grapefruit or a bowl of cereal
lunch-salad or a turkey sandwich (no mayo)
Dinner-rice mixed with blackeye peas..no butter or anything

fruit for snacks, or dry cereal
Old 09-21-2003, 10:31 PM   #5  

If I can make a suggestion, sometimes when I hit a stall, I try to lower my carbs some and up my protein intake. It really seems to help a lot. You don't have to cut carbs out, but maybe if you increase your protein some it will help break your plateau. You're doing a great job, so don't give up now.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:24 AM   #6  

I'll try that,mthrgoos... thanks!
Old 09-22-2003, 09:20 AM   #7  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Skitzoette~ congratulations on your 100lbs gone!! Thats quite an accomplishment. For this alone you should be very proud of yourself!!

The ladies here have all made great suggestions, remember that you have been doing the same thing for the last 100 lbs, your body is used to it now and has adjusted. So readjust what you are doing, walk a bit further, or add a hill to your walk, or put some weights in your hand during your walk. Change your eating habits a bit, try doing what was suggested, and also, cutting your rice, pasta etc down a bit and replacing it with an extra serving of veggies. You will be surprised how changing things around a bit will help to get things moving again.

Good Luck to you
Robin
Old 09-22-2003, 09:24 AM   #8  
it's always something

If what you are doing now isn't working, then it might be time for something completely different. You might want to check out the South Beach Diet, we have a forum dedicated to it. It's helped a lot of people get a boost or bust out from a plateau. It's not low carb, but it's "good" carb. Your diet will change. It's also not low fat, but it considers the type of fats you eat, and eliminates the bad fats. Many of the foods you eat right now may be low in fat, but the fats may be sat or trans fats which are bad for you.

Other things to consider: Maybe you aren't eating enough, and your body has gone into starvation mode (burns fewer calories)
Maybe you need a little more exercise than you are getting.

You may also want to discuss this with your doctor and be tested for insulin-resistance. Carbs do not always pose a problem for most people, but if you are insulin resistant, then you need to cut back, or change the type of carbs you consume.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:46 AM   #9  

All these suggestions have been very helpful,and i thank you all
I came down with pnuemonia this past weekend and dropped from 251 to 245.Been living off of nothing but chicken noodle soup and oatmeal,but even that has been coming back up.
I'm heading to the south beach forum now.
Again,thanks SOOO much for all your advice!
Closed Thread