South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 09:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

Question Anyone have luck without doing phase I?

Good morning, and happy Wednesday!

I would be interested to know if anyone here has had luck on SBD without going through phase I. I *finally* got my book last night, so I started reading it last night. It seems to me that phase I is intended to curb cravings... am I understanding that correctly? I tried starting phase I last week and I got really grumpy and irritable around day 4 so I added some phase 2 carbs. Do you think it is possible to still be successful on SBD this way? I realize my loss might be slower because of this, but I'm willing to risk it.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 09-17-2003, 09:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/172/125

Height: 4'9"

I have to admit that I am not following Phase I like I should, and I still lost about 8 lbs so far.

The main thing I am doing is staying away from breads, rice, pasta....my favorite foods But I still look in my book for recipes. I love the gingered chicken breasts.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:50 AM   #3  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Hi there. I too am not having much luck in phase one, I really have a hard time without my fruit. I can skip the rest of the carbs but not my fruit. I have not bought the book yet I am trying to decide if I want to buy the book or join the web. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:12 AM   #4  

I had a hard time around day 3, but I managed to stick with it and now I'm glad I did. The second week was easier than the first. Now, in phase II, I think it's easier to add things back in slowly. I don't crave anything anymore. In my opinion, it's easier to do well in phase II if you stick it out during phase I. Maybe try adding more variety to your meals and snacks without going off plan. Start making new recipes and be creative! Jell-O does wonders for the fruit cravings, a spoonful of peanut butter worked well for sweeter cravings. Of course, every person is different...these are just ideas that helped me! And the biggest help was the support from the ladies here in this group!
Old 09-17-2003, 01:07 PM   #5  
Work in Progress

Getting rid of the cravings and the addicitive feelings is the most wonderful part of low carbing. Ultimately you will shed the pounds without the first phase, but it is my favorite part. If you can't do the full two weeks, just try doing a good strict week, I notice a difference in about 5 days. Now, I am afraid to even eat the small amount of allowed carbs from bread, I am afraid it will trigger me.

I think of it as a detox period, something that I am doing for health reasons instead of dieting....I lost 10 pounds on phase 1, and I even cheated twice.

Good luck!!

-rb
Old 09-17-2003, 01:16 PM   #6  

i cheated quite a bit in phase 1(which i still have 5 days left of) and i still lost 6 pounds...by cheating i mean a bite of rice or 2-3 pringles...the thing with this diet for me was i used to eat terribly...instead of having 2-3 pringles i would have the whole can...so i think that as ling as you are staying pretty close to the phase 1 list and dont cheat too badly then you should still lose weight
Old 09-17-2003, 02:16 PM   #7  

Its not just about losing weight - it's about learning to eat healthy and keep it off. I encourage everyone to read the book because there is a lot of good information there. Phase I is to get rid of the carb cravings - if you keep feeding them, even small amounts, they aren't going to go away...95% of dieters gain it all back - think they cheated or stuck with the plan?
Closed Thread