Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-02-2017, 10:34 PM   #1  

Default Quitting psych meds to lose weight

My serious weight gain began almost 4 years ago when my dr began trying me on different psychotropic drugs such as Pristiq, Lexapro and Zoloft. None helped with my depression and anxiety and although it took me a while to figure out what was going on, these meds started me down the path to a 60-70 lb weight gain. However my mental health was still unstable even with these classic antidepressants and I was eventually diagnosed with bipolar disorder with ADHD. I believe this diagnosis is correct and my meds were adjusted accordingly. I am now taking lithium, lamictal, olanzapine (brand name Zyprexa), a thyroid medication, Klonopin and adderall. This drug cocktail has helped some but I still have some pretty rotten days, both with anxiety/panic disorder and with depression. Plus, my weight gain doesn't help me feel any better about myself.. After doing some research I've learned that both olanzapine and lithium are absolutely notorious for causing significant weight gain - particularly olanzapine. At my next psych dr appointment I plan to focus on my weight gain and ask him if I can try going off the lithium altogether and try just keeping lamictal as my mood stabilizer. I also want to ask him if I can quit taking olanzapine daily & only take it in case of emergency (olanzapine can be taken on a PRN basis). I feel good about this plan and considering the amount of weight I've gained I feel like my Dr should now be as worried about my physical health as he is my mental health.

Have any of y'all gone off lithium and/ or olanzapine to get your weight under control? Did it help at all and how long did it take. I've read horror stories online about people's metabolism never returning to normal after taking lithium and/or olanzapine and I could really use some first hand stories regarding going off psychotropic drugs and how it impacted your weight.

Thanks for all input!
Katieallison5309 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antidepressants, bipolar, lithium, olanzapine, zyprexa