Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #1  

Default Messed up scale or long plateau?d

I have been at the same weight since September. These past few weeks I've been trying really hard. I work in retail and I've been incredibly busy with the holidays. I've been working 8 hour days 5 days a week. I've been moving around and I've been burning more or just about more calories then I have eaten.

This has happened several times where I weigh myself on Monday and I am 182 exactly. I keep on dieting and exercising for most of the week. I weigh myself on Friday and I am 183.8. Then on Monday I am back at 182. It is a bad cycle.

Is it possible my scale is not accurate anymore? I've had it since 2012. I know I weigh a few pounds less on my doctors scale. I'm just really frustrated. I can't tell if I've just hit a bad plateau or if the scale is messed up. I'm also worried that I might not be able to lose anymore weight. I so desperately want to get below 180 but every time I get to 182 it shoots back up to 183.8 in 4 days when I haven't done anything wrong. Can someone please help me out?

Last edited by Harrypotterrocks; 12-17-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Harrypotterrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #2  
Bride to be!

S/C/G: HW: 208 188/ticker/160

Height: 5'-6"

I feel you- I'm currently at 185.9, but was at 181.4 a few days ago. And I just hover around that area. I try to walk on my treadmill throughout the week but find myself frustrated every time I look at a scale and there is no change.

Do you drink a lot of water? Honestly I wasn't drinking water as much as I should have before I went to see a dietician, and I know I haven't been drinking enough lately for sure. But It's incredible how much drinking 3 water bottles a day really does. I know I haven't been drinking enough when I only pee 3 - 4 times per day. When I'm drinking the right amount of water it can be anywhere from 9 - 12 times per day.
rustylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 316/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Do you log your food and beverage intake? Have your calories been more or less consistent as you've lost weight? If you suspect a plateau, it might be time to shake some things up with what you're eating or your exercise routine.
Blicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #4  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

Both ladies above have mentioned valuable points, that is a very long time to of not lost any weight at all. I think you first need to check your water intake, then check your calorie intake.

If you don't track calories, for someone who is always on the move I would advise My Fitness Pal if you haven't already got the app. Just scan the food and go, do you prep your weekly meals? what do you eat while at work? do you drink energy drinks/coffee/tea?

If you have a high energy job, you shouldn't need to work out, as weight loss is 80% diet. So I think there must be something that you can tweak to make better.
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:13 PM   #5  

Thanks for the advice.

I weighed myself on Monday and, of course I was 182 after making it all the way up to 185 on Saturday. I decided to take a break from the scale and instead really ramp up my routine. I still wonder if it's the scale because my clothes are a lot bigger. I'm almost in a size 12 and the last time I was a size 12 I was in the 170s

I do drink a lot of coffee and energy drinks. Mainly because I work early in the morning. I have noticed though, when I drink an energy drink it's very easy to stay on track with my eating.

I am very thirsty all the time ( I have a form of diabetes where the only symptoms are drinking a lot of water and going to the bathroom a lot.) Lately I've been so thirsty my mouth gets so dry I have trouble using a straw for a few seconds. I do have a high energy job. I bought a Fitbit on Black Friday so I've been using that to track everything. I've been walking about 5-7 miles everyday since Tuesday just from being at work for 8 hours each day. I usually eat a small microwave container of rice or noodles. I usually only consume 500 calories until 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Lately I've been eating a small meal at 3 or 4 and either not eating dinner or not eating much. I've been eating between 1200 and 1500 calories a day.

I'm hoping by continuing this routine for a week I'll finally be below 180. I don't see why it wouldn't work. My doctor says I lose weight very easily. I just have to try.

Last edited by Harrypotterrocks; 12-22-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Harrypotterrocks is offline   Reply With Quote