PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default PCOS Support Thread for Summer (June - Aug)

Welcome to Summer months! Check in and let us know how you are!

Here is the old thread.

For the round up this month:
  • How are you?
  • How's the PCOS?
  • What are you working on now as goals?
  • How successful were you for past season on your goals?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-26-2016 at 08:53 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Hi gang --

I know I've been missing in June. But I have good news. I studied all month and I PASSED my second math teacher test. I am now eligible to teach with a temporary certificate.

I'll be trying to enroll in a teaching prep program at the college to convert that temp certificate to a professional certificate next. Go me!

How are you?

I am well. Concentrating on my "become a math teacher" studies. Still keeping away from toxic people.

How's the PCOS?

I had a cycle finally. That one was like 120 something days since the last one.

I have quit taking oral hormone therapy because my endoc was worried it was affecting my liver. I had a good appointment with a reproductive endoc who thinks I am NOT in perimenopause but simply super wonky with the hormone balance. I am doing well on Minivelle (estradiol sticker patch) and progesterone as vaginal inserts to just skip that whole liver thing. The hormones are now absorbed through the skin or the mucus lining. I'm also on Celexa. My normal endoc suggested Paxil and my SIL is on that one. But my Reproductive endoc suggested Celexa -- but it's similar in that the off label use of these things is to dial down crazy hot flashes. It is a RELIEF.

Sex is also not longer painful, so I'm a lot happier about that. My last hormone panel showed big improvements so I'm going to continue on this regime. The Reproductive endoc suggested an annual hormone check but if I feel weird again to call for a check sooner than that.

What are you working on now as goals?

I am optimistic that maybe I finally solved the hormone wacky that was plaguing me for almost 2 years.

Now I have to go make an appointment with my regular endoc to check on my hypothyroid and insulin resistance.

Also get on with exercise. It was so disheartening to work out and see no changes due to all this hormone crazy. I'm ready to give it another shot now that I am sleeping better and actually have energy in the day instead of being all frazzled.

How successful were you for past season on your goals?

I think I did well. Still a work in progress though.

Astrophe

Last edited by astrophe; 06-26-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Should we just start a fall thread now? lol

I'm sorry I didn't check in as often as I wanted to. Work was overwhelming this summer and in all honesty, had very little time to focus on this site. I was going weeks without checking social media too. Or just glazing over it before heading on to the next thing that needed my attention.

I have stayed with the trainer for the last few months, but I haven't gotten on the Herbalife Scheme -- it's such a racket. But the problem that has arisen with my trainer is two things -- he is super focused on my weight (which goes up and down the same 2-3 lbs) and also he doesn't remember the amount of weight I'm lifting, so I feel like I'm not really progressing because how does he keep track? He doesn't. It's getting annoying. Add to the weight thing too, and I'm kind of done with him. I paid for a package, but once it's done at the tail end of this month, I am moving on.

As for food and things, I've gotten out of control and it's only recently that I see it's a direct "rebellion" to my trainer telling me (strongly suggesting) what I should eat. I hate it when people tell me what I should eat and 1) they are not nutritionists and 2) they don't listen to me what I know I need to eat and 3) don't offer helpful suggestions.

I'm such a child inside.

But it does bring up a lot of questions for me about why I'm not under control and the other day, talking to the BF about it, I told him that it felt like when I am super-restrictive, I am thinking of ways around it. And then when I fall off the wagon, I feel terrible. Yes, I lost weight, but it took a lot of willpower to be in that mindset and my will power is kind of focused at work right now.

Secondly, I feel I need something that I can make a long term decision, and I need to figure out what that is and not make food super-special because I will eat too much of it, because if I feel I can't have it, I will eat a lot of it.

And lastly, I think I am doing too much exercise, and I wonder if that affects my hunger levels -- and maybe I think I am eating out of control, but in reality, I am hungry because I am doing too much exercise and I need to balance both the exercise to balance the hunger until i have a diet under control...? I'm doing about 9 hours of exercise per week, and I've dropped the long bike rides (1.5 -2 hours).

Anyway, still pondering a lot of this...
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Yes! I am staring a fall thread now.

I totally hear you on not checking in as much because life got busy. Mine did also. I passed and did all the things I need to pass and do so now I'm a college student. I'm also going to start volunteer teaching soon, so spent some time getting a work wardrobe together since it's been so long since I went to work.

My fitbit tells me I burn up like 3000 calories sometimes when I workout -- so I would not be surprised if you are burning a lot more than you think when you do your workouts and it leads to super hunger. I'm sorry this trainer is not a good fit for you. But you sound like you have a plan -- just use up your package that you already paid for and then move one. Maybe you can find someone better?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 09-19-2016 at 10:16 AM.