Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 PM   #1  

Default IP bad advice from coach?

Hi All,
This is my first post, I've been lurking for a couple weeks though.
When I started IP, the coach told me to to use fluid weight measurement for veggies, i.e.16oz at lunch and 16oz at dinner. I'm 3 weeks in, haven't lost anything since week 1, still fatigued, and getting frustrated. According to the ketosis sticks, i have undetectable level of ketones. After some research and it seems I should be measuring by volume for chopped veggies, which would be more like 4-7oz (depending on the veg.) Per meal. Can someone clarify? Am I really eating 3-4x the veggies?

She also told me 8-10 oz of whole protein for meals and to weigh after cooking. She also has me eating an extra packet daily. I'm a big guy, my target weight is probably going to be about 205 lb, so maybe the extra protein is necessary, or is this bad advice also?

Right now I'm frustrated and not really trusting anything my coach is telling me.
Thanks.
BigD385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:07 AM   #2  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Hi,

I think your suspicions are warranted.

Here is an example:
100g of cauliflower raw (1 cup) is about 5 total carbs. (I always weigh mine in grams). 2 cups measured via grams is about 10 carbs. 1 oz (28g) has 1.5 carbs and multiplying that by 16 puts you at 24 carbs for your one serving and if twice a day, you are at 48 carbs and that is not factoring in what you are getting from packets as well as if you are consuming higher carb vegetables. You can find the number of grams in 2 cups of vegetables quite easily by googling the particular vegetable nutrition info.

So, I would say you are overdoing the vegetables and therefore the carbs.

Also, your protein should be weighed prior to cooking not after. I have a friend who is 5'11" and very heavy (350 lbs) whose goal weight is 200 and there was no protein adjustment from the standard protocol. That would mean that you should have 8 oz prior to cooking. My experience is you lose about 30% weight in cooking so you are consuming 30% more protein than you should/standard protocol and even more if 10 oz vs 8. Also, I am not sure why you need the extra packet as my friend didn't. We see a lot of variability with the coaches. But, on the other hand, we complain a lot that they take a one size fits all approach . You seem to be getting considerably more protein than standard amount. My suggestion would be to follow the standard protocol and see if that doesn't get you going. Or, you could leave your protein as it is, and cut veggies in half and try that first before removing the extra packet and reducing animal protein but I think the combo of the two is your best bet..

It seems you are getting a double whammy right now - the extra carbs from the veggies and too much protein can kick you out of ketosis also (.6-1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass or about 100 grams of protein for you (.5 gram of protein x goal weight).

Last edited by Ro22; 06-02-2016 at 05:09 AM.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

For veggies, you can measure by weight, I found it much easier.

Here's a chart that shows weight for 1 cup of each veggie weighs

Food List - Ideal Protein Phase 1 (1).pdf
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #4  

Fluid ounce is a measure of volume, not weight. It's unfortunate that your coach chose that term because the word ounce sounds like a weight measure. Eight FLUID ounces = 1 cup. So the coach actually recommended 4 cups of veggies, which is right in line with the protocol. if you were using a scale to get 16 oz twice a day, then it sounds like you have been getting significantly more veggies and enough carbs to keep you out of ketosis.

Some veggies are easier to weigh, such as asparagus spears, and some are easier to measure in cups, like chopped broccoli. Blueskiesahead's conversion chart will come in handy.

I do not think your coach is totally off the wall in the other recommendations, though protocol is weighing BEFORE cooking, and it's 8 oz not 10. I think those are rather minor deviations for most people. An extra packet is often recommended in the beginning. I actually think fixing the veggie measurements will get you on your way. But to maximize your success & to convince yourself that it will work, I'd go for 100% by the book and cut out the extra packet and extra protein. (Make sure to have your oil too).

is there another coach you can try? I don't know if your coach is ignorant of the protocol or just tweaking a bit because you are, in your words, a big guy. Sometimes coaches recommend extra packets or protein to deal with a stall, esp when clients are doing cardio exercise. And then there are the ones who appear to be trying to keep you buying their packets for a long, long time. I hope yours is not the latter. Best wishes to you--don't give up!

Last edited by Sundove; 06-02-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

As stated before... We measure in a measuring cup but NOT by oz. just bite sized peieces to fill one cup... Or you can weigh but then need to use the chart for veggie weights. Each veggie weighs differently to equal one cup.

ALL FOOD IS WEIGHED/MEASURED raw. 8 oz meat.

IP allows one additional packet for every 40 pounds over 200 lbs of LEAN MASS (ideal/goal weight for your body type). So a fourth unrestricted packet IS protocol for a goal weight of 200-239.

Last edited by JLUS; 06-05-2016 at 11:11 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #6  

Default Thanks for the feedback

Since my last post, I saw on one of the vids that are sent by IP that a 4th packet is necessary if target weight is >200, which is in line with JLUS's comment above. That makes sense.

I talked to the coach last week about it and she told me I was flat out wrong, that I should be eating 32oz veg / day. The conversation ended with me telling her that it is crazy to eat a pound of broccoli at lunch and again at dinner, and that I am not going to anymore. It was awkward.
BigD385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Since my last post, I saw on one of the vids that are sent by IP that a 4th packet is necessary if target weight is >200, which is in line with JLUS's comment above. That makes sense.

I talked to the coach last week about it and she told me I was flat out wrong, that I should be eating 32oz veg / day. The conversation ended with me telling her that it is crazy to eat a pound of broccoli at lunch and again at dinner, and that I am not going to anymore. It was awkward.
SHE is "flat out wrong", clearly has no concept of the difference between measuring cup oz which equate only to liquid, and using the measuring cup purely to measure volume of vegetables. Ask her why IP has clearly stated on the protocol sheet to "measure vegetables" and "weigh meat".

SHE should be reported to IP immediately. This is such a BASIC IP concept that if she misunderstands that, what else does she misunderstand. If you choose, I suggest you contact IP via their website. Also if you paid your up front consulting fee, demand a refund from the coach. Or if not too late, stop payment.

Last edited by JLUS; 06-10-2016 at 10:51 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:49 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
SHE should be reported to IP immediately. This is such a BASIC IP concept that if she misunderstands that, what else does she misunderstand. F you choose, I suggest you contact IP via their website. Also if you paid ypur up front consulting fee,mdemand a refund from the coach. Or if not too late, stop payment.
This.

Imho, you should be refunded not only the initiation fee but all the $ you spent on IP packets while getting bad advice that stalled your progress. Meanwhile, great work sticking to your plan as it was presented--you have the commitment to succeed.

Good luck!
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #9  
Motivated Newbie!

S/C/G: 255.8/231.2/195

Height: 5'8"

Thank you Ro22 for the list with weights, so helpful!!
LisaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote