Old 05-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 279/243/140

Height: 5'7

Lightbulb How do you handle downtime?

Ok, I'm a teacher, so very soon I will be working from home a lot more than I already do. Either I will have a short schedule (summer school), or will be home all day doing work. This is my downfall. If I'm home by myself I eat constantly, no matter what it is (I have a ton of healthy food in the house and will eat it all if I can, but I know that isn't good either)!

How can I stop myself from doing this? It has always been an issue, but now that I have a real goal in mind I'm working to actively prevent this mindless eating and develop new habits.

Spending all day at the gym isn't an option (I still have to work on things in my down time) but I know I need to remove temptation!

Anyone have any advice/suggestions that could help me?
PenguinGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

The only thing that works for me is to plan my food for the day, including when it will be eaten. What time are meals. And then don't eat in between (if your plan calls for snacks, plan the snacks and their times as well). Which sounds easier said than done, but the very act of writing down specific times to eat helps a lot. I try to pre pan the whole day, but at the very least I have a framework for what times and quantity/type. When the snacks are calling leave the kitchen

the other thing, since I work from home is to never eat in front of the computer. If it is mealtime I stop working and go to the kitchen to eat. I also no longer use my laptop on the kitchen table.

Last edited by ennay; 05-11-2016 at 03:22 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 269/255/140

Height: 5'11

Thorough meal prepping and tracking. Cook it in advance, then divide into portion sizes. Do the same with healthy snacks (I always keep raisins and baggies of celery around). I'm careful to keep all the food in a separate room from me so that I can't snack on anything easily. When I do it, I do it at the kitchen table away from my electronics so that I'm focused on eating, not mindless snacking. also, when you want to eat, drink water. Sometimes that helps for me and lets me know when I'm actually hungry versus when I just want to snack on something.
And above all, I track my food with myfitnesspal. Even when I've been bad, I do it because I have to hold myself accountable. It doesn't totally stop my snacking (I feel like that's just going to have to be sheer willpower) but it has helped a lot.
FredZesty is offline   Reply With Quote