Old 05-02-2016, 05:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/191/170

Height: 5'10

Talking Its May!!!!

New month - time for a new thread and conversation

Lets get up and dust off April... celebrate the good - get over the bad and get ourselves focused again for this month
Karencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Hello! I am still fighting the good fight in May after more than a week of vacation eating. Time to get back on track!

Did anyone read the NYT article about a study of season 8 contestants of The Biggest Loser and why they gained the weight back? Apparently the more extreme measures we take to diet and get the weight off quickly, the more our metabolism slows down to counter our efforts? That's putting it simply, but the article is an interesting read -

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Oh the merry, merry month of May! Bring us only good things, if you please!

Guac: I did read that article, and I thought this was an interesting follow-up article to read, too:

http://www.refusetoregain.com/2016/0...n-it-back.html
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Happy May!

Garden is growing and I was looking forward to the farmer's market opening, but ds has baseball every Wednesday and it seems most of them are the out of town games, so I don't know when I can get there.

The regain of TBL contestants is not surprising. If you read their comments it is clear that they were given no help in making the transition. The issue with such a drastic diet is that it can NOT be sustained permanently and there was no base that could become maintenance. In some ways I am almost...reassured? probably not the right word that they regained. On the one hand the responsible thing for the show to do would have been to provide them all with extended support to transition to real life. It would have kept the show from getting the bad name that it currently has. OTOH, had they behind the scenes given this kind of support, and had the contestants been more successful, it would have continued to perpetuate the growing notion that anything short of 4% loss per wee, was abject failure. I was a regular here when TBL first really gained traction and to see people distraught because they had ONLY lost 12 lbs that month was horrifying.

The metabolism thing with TBL contestants is somewhat concerning, but again, I don't think you can extrapolate what happens to a TBL contestant out to what happens to a body with a more reasonable weight loss plan. But there are many maintainers who do agree that they have to remain at a lower calorie level for life than someone of similar age and weight. It is a possibility. It is part of what will likely make my goal be 156 this time instead of the 126 I had before. 126 was too hard to maintain even as a marathon runner and as I age, that kind of exercise will never be my focus again.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:39 AM   #5  

ennay - I agree with everything you said. I also agree that for me, I have to eat fewer calories than a woman my size who had never been overweight. My metabolism is simply slower from a combination of obesity and up and down weight loss. My body constantly fights to get back up to my highest weight.

I also agree that TBL focus group is unique in that they all did an extreme and punishing weight loss program that most average dieters don't do. It might have no scientific merit, but I feel like a gradual slim down lets your body get used to your new lower "normal" and your metabolism is able to adapt better without grinding to a complete halt. I regained about 25 pounds over the last few years, but I didn't gain it all back. I'm sure I would have if I went back to my old bad eating patterns, but as long as I am somewhat mindful of what I eat, I can manage to stay a good 20-30lbs below my highest weight without actual dieting. Not that I want to be content with that, because I am still overweight at that size.

Mrs. Snark - I have been thinking about you because I am currently also a working lady and it's been really hard to find time to cook, prep meals ahead of time, and exercise. I am actually looking forward to temporary job ending because despite the money, I can see how long term working can be bad for your health. The only reason I have still managed to stay on track is by keeping to a low calorie range and wearing lots of baby carrots on the go. This hasn't been satisfying and I have been feeling hungry. I just haven't been able to prep my yummy and hearty vegan souls that keep me full all day.

Hopefully I will get better at this.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:27 AM   #6  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

Ennay (et al) I watched one series of TBL and that was enough to make it completely obvious to me that the spectacle and the marketable fat-shaming were what it was all about. Nothing like pitting people against each other, convincing them they are all worthless as they are, and stepping back to sneer and film the fallout. I didn't care for the program. Can you tell? Snarkles, I'm going to read that article when I have time. I'm working on a theory that if I find the right life I'll find the right weight, if that makes any sense... I want to see how that theory stacks up against that article.

Guac- you wear baby carrots? I'm guessing this was a typo, but all I can see is a scene out of an old film (Tampopo, anyone?) where a mother who wanted her little boy to eat only natural foods literally hung a sign to that affect and a carrot around his neck like a necklace

As far as getting better at this, I am also struggling to fit it all in. I really, really resent the need to sleep.
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Magicsusan hah! now I have an image of guacamole in a dress of baby carrots. Like a fringed flapper dress, only all the fringes are carrots. Clara Bow in carrots

The weather turned chilly here. My May feels more like March right now, but I think it is supposed to be in the 80's today or tomorrow
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #8  
mossfootrunner!

Brrr... We have the Eisheilige right now. We've turned the heat off so it's right chilly.

Might be a good time to make some soup. I'm thinking tomato and black bean...
Old 05-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #9  

my feeling of TBL is that I don't like the show its like its punishing the contestants and I find it annoying that they portray that loosing weight fast is good and can not be a healthy and maintainable

been really busy at work will try drop in as much as able

hope you are all well!
Old 05-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #10  

Hey, everyone! Looks like we are all a bunch of busy ladies, but hopefully still working on our weight loss goals! I finished C25K today! Yippee! Now on to C210K! I lost another 2 lbs, so I am inching toward my goal weight slowly but surely. Hope you are all doing well!

Haha! I just saw my typo about wearing baby carrots - it's true, that's the latest craze to help you lose weight. Wear the carrots, don't eat them, just smell them!

Last edited by guacamole; 05-19-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #11  

wow its almost June .. someone flipped the winter switch here good and proper its getting really cold overnight now

Guac - congrats of finishing c25k and moving onto the next one

I weighed in with my WW program and found a 2.7 kg loss this week taking my weight down to under 130kg at 128.5!
that takes me to about 283 pounds - started at 330 pounds
Old 05-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #12  
mossfootrunner!

That's fantastic progress, Karencat!
I've stalled out a bit on my c25k. I'm busy with work too, and still having trouble fitting in regular exercise. How can I miss running this much and yet never seem to be able to make time for it?