Old 04-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

Default Metformin - how bad is this going to be and is there anything I can do about it?

I have been controlling my T2D with diet (and not nearly often enough) exercise and my A1C is sloooowly coming down, but my doctor has decided to have me try Metformin (500 mg 2 x day).

As I understand it, the stomach upset side effects are pretty bad. Is there anything I can do to mitigate that? I have just taken my first dose, because I'm planning to be home all day today. Also, I've read that it's really bad for 4 - 5 days and then for many people, becomes more tolerable and the side effects pass.

Any advice would be welcome.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:33 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

My brother takes Metformin twice a day (not exactly sure but probably the highest dose, not just the 500mgx2) and has never had a stomach upset with it in 5+ years.

I on the other hand was started on 500mg once a day, and became virtually housebound, as hideous stomach attacks would strike without warning. The doctor tried the slow-release version, and that does work well for many people. For me, round about the 4 week mark, the side effects stopped but I was never able to take more than 500mgx1 a day.

I've heard it said that the side effects can be less if you eat less fat.

Good luck

ps, well done on hitting your first goal
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

I won't lie, the stomach issues with it are pretty rough. You are starting out on the same dose I did and I can say they eased up after the first 4 days or so to where they really weren't all that bad. My Dr however gradually increased my dose over 3 months and every time it went up they came back with a vengeance, tapper off again, and then come back again. My personal experience is if I eat something that's really fatty or high in carbs, it flares. Normally though, it isn't that big of a deal. I've been on it since January and just recently got my dose dropped back to 500 2x a day since losing weight has put me out of the type II range. Since coming back down, I rarely if ever get the tummy upset these days. I also credit it a lot with helping me lose weight and help with some other issues I was having. To me, it was worth the occasional tummy upset because I just feel better in general while on it.
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #4  

Thanks for the info! I will use that as motivation to keep my diet in check.

Yesterday was my first day and it wasn't that bad. I am hoping I get lucky.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I would agree, the worst is in the first few days, and by one month had few symptoms. For me it is worse when taken with bread or pasta, or other wheat based foods. I have to keep my intake of that down, or I get diarrhea.
Good luck,
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I have taken Metformin since 2008. Started with 500mg X 2 and gradually increased to 850 X 3. I never had much of a problem with it. I think everyone is different. Some people can't take it at all.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #7  

So far, so good. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 05-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

You may find that you won't have any problems at all. I took it for years without problems and then wham I was fighting diahrrea all the time. My niece told me that her doctor told her to take it during her largest meal of the day. She said eat about half of the food and then take Metformin then finish the meal. I've had no problems since I started doing that. But then maybe you won't have any problems at all. I hope not.

I also learned that eating too much fat caused me stomach issues too.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #9  

I've taken Metformin for years and have had zero issues with it. It's a good medicine so try not to psyche yourself out. It's like watching those TV commercials for different medications and afterwards thinking, "Gee, with all those side effects I think I'll just take my chances with the disease!"

You can prevent a lot of that gastro-intestinal discomfort by simply taking the Metformin after you've eaten a meal.

Good health to you!

Tom.

Last edited by Carbhater; 08-11-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Carbhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:20 AM   #10  

I was on 500mg of Metformin a day from 2010 when I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Fortunately I never suffered any serious side effects, but I seriously dislike taking drugs. At the beginning of March 2016 I began a low carbo diet and judging by my blood glucose readings, decided to halve my dosage. My blood sugar came down further after reducing my dosage and some time in November last year I decided not to renew my script. Since then my readings have been totally normal (and I've lost 7kgs [15.4 lbs] into the bargain).

Last edited by GlenM; 01-06-2017 at 03:21 AM.
GlenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/253/190

Height: 5'3"

I was put on Metformin when I was first diagnosed in April of 2016 and it made me violently ill, I was in the hospital on the psych unit when it was discovered thru blood tests that I have Type 2 diabetes, they continued to gradually increase my dose so I was on 1000 MG twice a day along with something for the nausea, they tried switching me to the longer lasting one which people are supposed to be able to tolerate better except I kept having the same response. Anyways my doctor took me off of it and put me on Actos (I had no idea at the time about the dangerous long term affects this med could have),
I had surgery to have tubes put in my ears this past July and the pre-op nurse alerted me to these long term affects, anyways I asked my doctor to take me off of it and just leave me on the glipizide. I had an appointment with the endocrinologist a month and a half ago, I told him about the issues I had with Metformin, he insisted that it is the "best medication" for diabetes and put me back on it!! Surprisingly I have not had the same reaction to it that I did previously but he refuses to increase the dose up to 500MG twice a day given the issues I had before.

Anyways one thing he recommended before I started taking it is to take a probiotic with it. Also take it with your biggest meal which for me is generally dinner.
Jaye_Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 300/233.2/150

Height: 5"10"

I've been on Metformin on and off for years. It is derived from the alphalfa plant. It's a very old drug, which I like because there won't be any surprise side effects (remember vioxx?). When I first started taking it I did not have any nausea, but was in the bathroom alot. After a week or so it was fine. The extended release will decrease those extreme side effects, but it seems like you are doing ok.

I take mine at night right before I go to bed. I know you are supposed to take it with food, but I got into this habit, and it works. I am also most concerned about my fasting bs, so I rather take it late at night when the most benefits will hit that number.

Good luck!
Perserverance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #13  
full of thanks

It made me very nauseous for a few weeks but I toughed it out.
Lisaluvshearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/253/190

Height: 5'3"

I've noticed since starting the metformin again that my fasting blood sugars are HIGHER then they were before I started taking it.
Jaye_Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:48 AM   #15  

I've been taking it for several years now and never noticed any stomach issues, I always eat something when taking my meds wether hungry or not, typically just a cup of yogurt or even just a few spoonfuls of cottage cheese.

Last edited by FrankB; 05-06-2019 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Cat farted
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote