Old 01-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234.5/224/155(135 dream goal)

Height: 5 6

Default Has anyone heard of or tried Saxenda?

Any thoughts to share?
I have been approved for a partial coverage by insurance, but have not filled the prescription yet as I try to find out more. I thought also maybe I could keep trying to lose weight on my own (being at the high) and take it when I hit a plateau or something. But trying to find out more about it in general. Anyone had experience with it?
facingfacts12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 299/263/150

Height: 5' 4"

I was not familiar with this drug but I looked it up when I saw your post. What caught my eye is that it is approved for weight management, along with a reduced calorie diet and physical activity. My opinion is that if you follow a reduced calorie diet and get physical activity you will lose weight. Maybe you could have a consultation with a dietitian to find out the right diet for you, or you and your doctor may have already discussed that and exercise when you talked about the medicine. You know, as we all do, that the journey is not easy. There will be setbacks, plateaus, and days you just flat out pig out. You are human and all of those things are allowed. It is how you respond to them that will help you be successful. Don't put more faith in a drug than you put in yourself. Best of luck to you and the path you choose.
gagirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:39 PM   #3  
Lost: Motivation

S/C/G: 330

Height: 5'10"

I've been on Saxenda since Dec 16th, 2015. Within 3 weeks (and going from the initial dose to the 1.8mg step), I lost 8.4 lbs and nearly 2 inches off my waist. In total now (7 weeks), I've lost about 11 lbs and I'm convinced I've lost more off my waist (can't find my dang measuring tape!). I haven't added in any exercise yet, but I feel I would have even more success with it if I did. I am currently weighing my options (oh the puns!) on the best fitness regime/activity for me with my current lack of cardiovascular fitness.

I have PCOS, endometriosis, an auto-immune disorder, and possible Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. I'm insulin resistant and have been on metformin for a while but it hasn't much helped, it seems. Since graduating high school in 2005, I've steadily gained 110 lbs and nothing would friggin' well move it. With metformin and Saxenda, I feel like I have a hope in ****!

The biggest side effect I've had is nausea and discomfort if I overeat. Every meal feels like I've eaten a turkey dinner. I compare it to having some of the symptoms one would have after a gastric sleeve: you need to be wary of getting protein and fiber in, and lots of fluids.

Injection is easy and painless 95% of the time. Once in a while I'll get a little sting if I hit a nerve or I hit some scar tissue, but it's still way less painful than checking your blood!

It's important to have a full blood panel done first to screen out any pancreas/liver/thyroid issues, and if you struggle with mental health and/or take antidepressants, to speak with a psychiatrist as well (Saxenda travels similar pathways and can cause suicidal tendencies in some people).

If you have any questions, ask away!

Last edited by novascotian8; 02-05-2016 at 11:01 PM.
novascotian8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #4  

Default Curious

I'm very curious as to what you decided to do. I too, have been given partial coverage for the drug, and am contemplating trying it. But I'm wondering about success rates. At 539.00 I'd want to see some real success. I know everyone says that diet and exercise will work, I'm currently 5 months into following weight watchers, and attending classes at the gym at least 4 days a week, and have only managed to drop 16 lbs.
Chaneligans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #5  

Default Saxenda

I was on saxenda for 6 months and lost 15 pounds. I could never get past that. I was nauseated most of the time and had hiccups! I stopped using and have gained the weight back. I am trying it again. I started the lowest dose yesterday. My appetite is gone and the hiccups are minimal. I have an appointment next week with a gastric surgeon to explore that route.
Boosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #6  
FY,ML

S/C/G: 245/179/145

Height: 172cm

I have been taking a similar product called Victoza as Saxenda wasn't covered I lost 25 lbs in 2.5 months when combined with healthy eating. I will now be switching to Saxenda as my insurance company will be covering it and it is what my doctor had originally intended for me to take. My co-worker has been on it for 1 week and has already lost 5 lbs. The best results come once you are up to the 3 mg dosage and you have added in a healthy diet and exercise. I highly recommend trying it.
FYML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #7  

I am on day 3 of Saxenda for weight loss. So far so good and definitely decreased appetite.
taniagirlca is offline   Reply With Quote