Old 11-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #127

Happy Thanksgiving, ladies! 59 degrees and sunshine today. I still have a few petunias blooming!

Still recupping so will have Thanksgiving brought to me...not that I much feel like eating it. Right now anything with sugar or artificial sweeteners in it makes me sick so don't need to worry about dessert today. It's a misery when you can't even eat Jello! I'm feel better every day and can't wait to get back to the gym.

Jean, sorry to leave you here all alone for days. I didn't even turn the computer on for a couple of days.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #2  

Susan, I'm sorry you still not feeling the best. We are going to my sister's tomorrow for turkey 'n trimmings. We got up to rain which froze, then a dusting of snow. We lost electricity for almost 3 hours this afternoon. We have two sump pumps that Bob pumped using another little pump hooked to the pickup. He mentioned getting a generator, which he does every time this happens. As we get older that sounds like a great idea! Thanks for starting the new thread.
Enjoy a nice evening.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Thanksgiving Evening

GOOD EVENING IN NOVEMBER MAGNOLIAS

Good Turkey Day evening Magnolias for it is a nice rainy night here in this MH. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner today and had invited our hosts to join us for our meal. They accepted and we had a great time. I had made all the fixing’s and so she brought a desert. I used my Cuisinart upright rotisserie to do a turkey breast which took only 2 hours for the 5 pounds. The directions said 1½ to 2½ hours but I chose to set the timer for 2 hours and it turned out perfect. I had pulled back the skin and sprinkled it with lemon pepper and it made it so delicious and juicy. It but was funny at first because we couldn’t figure out in this small space to set the rotisserie for it shouldn’t be placed under a cabinet and then I thought of in front of the shower on a small folding table. Worked out perfect and was out of the way for me to be preparing all the other dishes I made. All the leftovers are put away and the dishes done now and I can relax. Tomorrow we can have some great sandwiches made with Hawaiian buns, turkey & dressing with some cranberry sauce. I mixed mandarin orange sections and chopped walnuts into whole berry sauce and it is soooo good that way. My friend offered to help with the clean up but I refused since the space is just too small for two gals to be in it at once.

SUSAN Thanks for starting a fresh tread. I am so glad you are finally feeling a bit better. It is nice that you will have dinner brought to you, such a neat thing. Try to eat some for you need your strength.

JEAN It is raining here to beat the band. I need to get an umbrella. I got soaked just walking a few steps from the car to the MH and promptly came in and changed clothes. Weather man said we are in for a rain up to 5 inches.

Last edited by Maggie; 11-26-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #4  

Good Evening! It has been a super gloomy, cold day here but no rain nor snow. As we drove an hour east, they had no snow but we could see ice still on the trees and fences from yesterday. We had a nice Thanksgiving dinner and enjoyed the company. As it turned out there was another couple and their two year old grandson who joined us. I had forgotten how busy a "two" can be. The Nebraska/Iowa football game is on tv, we left at half time and listened to it on the car radio. Looks like Iowa might win, 28-20 with 1:17 left.

Maggie, I'm glad you enjoyed your Thanksgivng dinner with your neighbor. I'm seeing Hawaiian buns in the stores here but haven't tried them yet. We are pretty water logged here so please don't share your rain. The weatherman said there is a possibility of snow on Sunday.

​We brought leftovers home and Bob just asked if I was hungry. Guess that is my cue to get them on the table. Enjoy your evening!

Last edited by Jean; 11-27-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Soggy Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN NOVEMBER MAGNOLIAS

It has been raining now for 3 days and the ground is now soggy. It sure feels funny to walk on the grass for it feels like walking on wet sponges. I think the weather man said this will be the last of this rainy session. Kind of gives a person the blaws for sure. I am still waiting for the plant folks to get in the veggie garden plants so I can get this indoor herb planter planted.

On my charm bracelet I had a Jeep charm hooked on behind a MH which I took off and replaced it with a Mustang. I couldn’t find a Mustang Convertible Car charm so settled with a Mustang Horse. He is in galloping mode just like the one we have on our hood. I like it.

JEAN Do try the Hawaiian buns for they are yummy especially making little sandwiches with.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! It's been another dark gloomy day in my corner of the world. The weatherman is promising more snow, maybe up to 8-12"! We went to early church, had birthday cake afterwards, stopped for a loaf of bread, and headed home. I did a load of laundry, pitched some more paper stuff, planted some cat grass, updated the kids' pictures, and read the paper. Bob hauled up the Christmas tree and we moved the couch so it sits in front of the picture window this year. Sunny has been chewing on a branch, not sure what will happen if he hits a light bulb. It seems like any project just leads to a bigger mess. We will get to the decorations sometime.

Maggie, it was warm enough that a lot of our snow has melted. As far as I'm concerned it's too early for this crappy weather. The weatherman just said it will start in the middle of tonight and last until Tuesday night. I have a trickle of water running to the drain in the basement. Of course, the cats go out of their way to step in it and make footprints on the floor upstairs. You talking about your Mustang charm makes me think of Morningside College. The athletic teams used to be the Morningside Chiefs but someone thought it offended the Indians so they changed it to the Morningside Mustangs. Some of the "old" alumni have had t-shirts made with Morningside Chiefs across the front. Bob always has someone stop him and ask where he got his shirt.

I need to put away the vacuum and fold some towels. Hope you all have enjoyed a nice day!
Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #7  

Good morning ladies! 49 degrees and rain for this day. It's also the last day of hurricane season. Breathing a sigh of relief.

Feeling somewhat better and spent the last 2 days in my sewing room working on a Christmas quilt. I have a much needed appointment with my chiropractor this afternoon. Thursday is First Thursday Bee's Christmas dinner. I'm working at WW at 4:00. This is the last week for Point + and next week the new Set Points program begins.

Jean, keep all your snow. Do not share with me! Bummer on the lights out!

Maggie, you are always good at coming up with solutions. I've thought about starting a herb garden indoors but have only gotten as far as a basil plant.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:43 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon for the second time! Gremlins are at work here in Iowa -- must be the crappy weather! From the looks of the deck we have about 6" of new snow. It quit for awhile but has started again. We did count at church this morning even though the office was officially closed because school was called off. I think our's is the only office in town that follows the school closing/early dismissal. Dumb imo!

Susan, I would love to see your Christmas quilt! I'm glad you are feeling better!

I have towels in the dryer and they should be done. Time to get busy! Hope you all enjoy the rest of your last day in November!
Old 11-30-2015, 09:23 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Last days of November

I think the rain is over now for awhile. The ground is like walking on sponges and will be firmer when the sun shines for awhile. Will goes for a check tomorrow and we don’t think they will give him his chemo session but give him some stuff to bring his blood count up so his body can endure another session of tearing it down again. He will take the meds for three days and probably be rescheduled for his sessions. Good thing we have a good neighbor that is an RN so they release the shots so she can give them to him and he doesn’t have to travel back to the center which is an hour or more depending on the traffic.

I am glad the rain is over for a few days and I can dry out and clean the mud off my shoes. I got some little tiny lights to go on my little tree that is in a pot sitting on the table that are battery run. Now to locate my little ornaments.

JEAN You can keep the latest batch of snow. We are tired of it and want the ground to firm up.

SUSAN I am anxious to get my herbs and they won't be selling them around here in March or April or somewhere around then. I have it all planned out and am just waiting. Keep feeling better and better, you will love the feeling.

Last edited by Maggie; 11-30-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Sure Is Quiet Around Here

GOOD MORNING IN DECEMBER MAGNOLIAS

Will left around 8 am to go to the hospital an hour away to see if his blood count is up so he can have his treatment and YEAH it is. He bounced back quicker this time than he did after the other treatments so all is go for today. He has yet to speak with the doctor today but the blood work has been done and he knows he will get a treatment. The sun is shining and it isn’t raining and what a beautiful day it is. Hopefully after this treatment he won’t be as sick as he has been afterwards for they have a different med they can give him that holds back the vomiting so much. The med he was using didn’t work for him at all. This new one probably costs much more for it is so new that insurance hasn’t covered it as of yet.

Hopefully the sun will firm up the ground under the grass for it is precarious to walk on it. Today I am going to wash off the dried mud off the bottom edges of the soles of my shoes. My shoes are black and the sole edges are now brown. If I were wearing flip flops they would be sucked off my feet in the mud. We now have a board walk laid out there and a nice red crushed rock walk up to the car. It has definitely not been “top down” weather.

Have a great day Magnolias.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-01-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! It's snowing such a fine flake one can hardly see it. We got 7" of new snow yesterday; it was a strange track running north/south rather than east/west like it usually does. I ran some errands this morning and need to go to the grocery store this afternoon. I forgot to drop a check off at the hospital so need to do that too.

Maggie, I'm glad Will was able to have his treatment and will send positive vibes that the new meds will work for him. I know the treatments can be exhausting and then to be sick on top of that must be awful. He is a trooper! I hope you have some dry days with sunshine. These gloomy days make me feel gloomy too.

I need to keep moving or I will fall asleep. I kept waking up last night, drank too much water in the evening plus a very stuffy nose. Hope you enjoy the rest of the day! Hard to believe another year has flown by.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #12  

I am home, but everything is a mess right now so I will come back in tomorrow and post and try and catch up. Have a good evening. We went from 81 to 43 in just a couple days of travel. Now to face winter for real I guess.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:53 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday Evening

BACK.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-02-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Ugh

I am using one of Will's computers for mine needs to go back to the shop for they couldn't fix it over the line. I don't like using this one at all. Type at ya'll later.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-03-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #15  

Good Evening! It's been a long day, but a sunny and NO wind day. It was only 9 degrees when I came downstairs this morning. I went to get my nails done, then put the rest of my broccoli salad together. We were supposed to eat at one, but it was closer to two. The crafty bunch was more chatty than usual, and it was after four when I got home again. The church turkey/ham dinner party was at six and we just got home. I sure wasn't hungry! I am tired and heading to bed shortly. We are leaving for Minneapolis early tomorrow and I haven't packed anything. It's good that it is a jeans and sweatshirt kind of weekend!

"Gma"--welcome back!

Maggie--sorry about your computer!

Hope you all enjoy a nice weekend!