Old 07-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #1  
Started IP 04/13/2013

S/C/G: 202.4/154/151

Height: 5'7

Default Men on IP

Hi Everyone! Two years ago I completed IP and lost 56 lbs! I tore my ACL and gained a slight bit of weight back and am going to start IP once again. My question is this, My husband is joining me this time and I am wondering if he needs an extra protein/packet through the day. Typically I would eat like this:

B: Protein shake
L: Packet with 2 cups veggies and salad
S: Protein bar/Pudding
D: 8 oz lean protein 2 cups veggies

I am worried that my husband would be extremely hungry on the strict IP protocol above. Should we add extra protein?
Spydergirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydergirl1 View Post
Hi Everyone! Two years ago I completed IP and lost 56 lbs! I tore my ACL and gained a slight bit of weight back and am going to start IP once again. My question is this, My husband is joining me this time and I am wondering if he needs an extra protein/packet through the day. Typically I would eat like this:

I am worried that my husband would be extremely hungry on the strict IP protocol above. Should we add extra protein?
I am not the resident expert, but my understanding is protocol is protocol - but if you are starting at a higher weight (200+) or have other medical issues (ie diabetes) then there are variations of the plan.
I would also heavily factor in what he does for a living - ie, is he an active worker like my hubby, or desk job? If he is physically active all day he will need to account for that.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 213/201/185

Height: 5'11"

i don'r see why you need an extra packet. i just followed plan.
MDLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #4  

I just started Ip last week. Started at 250lbs, 26% BF. So far I am down 12.5 lbs, 5.5" in 8 days. My job is very active. I currently do;
B: IP Oatmeal
S: IP Restricted Bar
L: IP Soup, salad, IP Pina colada
S: IP BBQ chips, IP vanilla shake
D: 8oz protein, 2 cups veggies.

I added a couple Hard Boiled eggs with IP salt on the days I was feeling real hungry.
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:09 AM   #5  

I started around 3 weeks at 6', 227lb. I'm following the protocol exactly like you describe in your original post (and didn't have any restricted foods for the first 2 weeks). I'm down 19 pounds now, and haven't had any problems with the protocol at all. I haven't been very hungry or had any strong cravings (although I was already eating pseudo-paleo for a couple weeks before starting IP, so I kinda eased into it I guess).

If he's a lot heavier, the coach may recommend another packet, but chances are he'll be doing exactly the same as you.
twoskoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #6  
Emporium owner

S/C/G: 265/179/160

I started at 265 and am down to 179 and have been LESS hungry on IP than much bulkier food. Part of the problem, at least for me, is that seemingly filling foods like multigrain breads, and allegedly healthy foods like fruits, had me more hungry and eating more often. I would eat a healthy bread and a banana for breakfast at 7am and be starving by 9:30, but I can have an IP food at 7am and be fine until 11am.
Ted Sheckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #7  
Started IP on 7/19/2015

S/C/G: 192/135/135

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks Ted! That is encouraging. My husband and I both started IP last Sunday. We need to both stick with it, and I think being on a "diet" is really difficult for him. Me too, but I have been on diets before...
Number7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #8  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

The IP protocol says to add an extra packet if the person's LEAN body weight is over 200. So if your husband's goal weight is, say, 215, then, yes, he should have an extra packet.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #9  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

What does he weigh?

I started at 470. My coach told me I could have three extra pacxkets a day. I am glad she did. I would never have made it with out that informationa nd that permission! I lost 35# the first week. I know most of that was water but man I could breath easier and I was hooked! Now I need to get back at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydergirl1 View Post

usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #10  
Began IP 3-29-2012

Duuuuuudes! No posts in over a month. Is there a new Men on IP Thread?
Old 09-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #11  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Just my opinion ... I dont think having an extra protein is any big deal. Much better to have an extra chicken breast or an extra IP pack ... than cheat with carbs and sugar. Just listen to your body. Your body will tell you what it needs.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #12  
Began IP 3-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
Just my opinion ... I dont think having an extra protein is any big deal. Much better to have an extra chicken breast or an extra IP pack ... than cheat with carbs and sugar. Just listen to your body. Your body will tell you what it needs.
Avalon,

I agree. The first week I did IP I lost thirty pounds! I know most of that weight was water. BUT I became a believer! Quickly. I could breath and move better. 470 to 440 in a week. I was still HUGE but I felt Hope and felt I had some Control again over my life. It was powerful. Oh and by the way my coach had the guts to look at me and tell me to have 2-3 extra packets daily. If she had not done that I would not have made it. I was confused that week and did not realize I was only supposed to have one restricted daily. I did not do that the first week but still lost. The first week for me was Easter and I did not have any Easter candy. That was HUGE for me. I did have a few extra chocolate soy puffs but I stuck with what I thought was the program. It works. I am back up to 400. Yesterday was day one. I had a Wicked Headache and was grumpy last night. I apologized a few times to my kids. I even called the ex wife back to apologize. I was at the grocery store checkout with two of three kids and had 12 min to get to day care to pick the youngest up by 5 and she called. We snapped at each-other on the phone and I hung up. Today is day two. Stay IP folks. We can do this. I know checking in here really helps keep me focused. I got the little one on time. Went home fed the kids and myself and went back out to Boy Scouts. It was a looooong day but a good day.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:52 AM   #13  
Serial Dieter

usmc, oh my, what a heroic effort ... 154 lbs melted away for you so far! Keep it up. We are all rooting for you.

full disclosure for me ... there were days on my journey over the past year when I had 3 or 4 extra packs or protein servings in a day. And a whole slew of days when I had 3 or 4 restricteds. And I have lost a ton of weight. That being said, I am tall and started out very heavy. Plus I was walking 2-3 miles a day up and down hills. I think the scale will tell you what you can do -- if you stop losing weight -- you are eating too much. If you are losing 8 to 12 pounds a month (or more sometimes), you are in the zone.

So even for us girls (esp us bigger girls) we can push into the realm of additional protein servings and still lose fine. (The key is not cheating with carbs or sugar!).

I am sure guys with their bigger frames and additional muscle mass, can push even more into that extra protein realm with little adverse effect on losses.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 09-22-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #14  
Began IP 3-29-2012

Thanks Avalon. I have not changed my ticker. I am at 400 now so I've gained back 84 pounds. I'm disappointed in myself but I am back and have lots of work to do.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #15  
Serial Dieter

yo-yo ing is common ... the first time I did IP i lost 77 pounds in 4.5 months ... then stopped and gained all the weight back in the next 8 months ... then started AGAIN in Sept 2014 and this time I was able to stick with it for almost 13 months so far and I am down into a healthy BMI zone FINALLY!

I think the failure I had first time around helped to motivate me not to do that again.

Keep trying! You'll get there.