Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 317/170/157

Height: 5'6"

Default Getting sick sucks!!!!

Last Saturday I weighed in at 282. That is the lowest I've been since starting this journey at 317lbs. I was so excited and had my usual cheat on Sunday which basically included a smoothie (not homemade so no sugar control) and small oreo shake. For the most part I still ate really well. I was ready to start my week strong again after my cheat per the usual and I did. I ate well Monday and played an awesome soccer game, Tuesday I ate well and left work to dance for 2.5hrs (hip-hop and then contemporary jazz). On my way home that night, I felt a tickle in my throat. I knew exactly what that meant. As soon as I got home, I took a Zicam and hoped for the best but woke up with a sore throat and congested. On wednesday I ate well but opted out of my usual 515 aerobics class as my status really seemed to decline quickly throughout the day. I had wonton soup for dinner (my go to comfort sick food). Thursday I called in sick and stayed on bed. I took maybe 500 steps total that day. I ate a can of progresso soup (also full of salt...maybe just not as much as delivery wonton). Friday I felt a bit better so returned to my aerobics class hoping to sweat out the cold. I surprisingly didn't pass out. Had another pint of wonton soup for dinner. I spent the second half of my week eating salty soup, drinking water and powerade, and not moving. Saturday morning step on the scale to see 294!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!?!?!?!?!? I wanted to cry. 12 pounds wt gain in a week. Im still congested witha bit of a cough but since feeling better this really motivated me to take the dog for his 30 min walk/jog (even though it was raining on us (harder at times than during others). I then went to my aerobics class at 1045AM, where I was so exhausted already since I was just there last night at 8PM. Just for sh*ts and giggles I weigh myself again, bc I swear I felt like I have never sweat so much. The scale said 291. While still 9lbs heavier than it was last week, I think it made me feel better that I lost 3 lbs of water within a few hours. Either way, I've decided getting sick sucks for a weight loss journey. This is just a head cold. I don't know how people with real medical obstacles do it. I guess slow and steady win the race. Has anybody else had such a huge gain in 1 week despite not completely going off plan?

Last edited by kiwi1222; 07-04-2015 at 04:09 PM.
kiwi1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:38 PM   #2  

12 lbs in a week on soup. Wow. That totally sucks. Was it powerade zero? If not I can see those calories quickly adding up, but otherwise it has to be water weight.

I'm so glad you're feeling better and can get back on plan.
Chubabub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:54 PM   #3  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Getting sick does bite in oh so many ways! Glad you're starting to feel better.

My bet would be that maaaaaaybe 2 or 3 of those lbs are actual weight. It sucks too that it takes a few days to ditch the water weight. If there's anything that acts as a natural diuretic for you it might be worth a try. Green tea really does that for me. Seems like you have to take in more water to get rid of water!

Keep taking good care of yourself. Remember it's going to take a few days to get back to 100%
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:00 AM   #4  

Yeah, I'm drinking a lot of water now to try and flush my system of the salt when I workout. We'll see how it goes
Old 07-05-2015, 08:36 AM   #5  

I've got exactly the same thing this week too! Tickly throat turned into a full on cold. Still snuffly, and have a blocked ear, and a catchy cough. I also gained a little weight this week as a result.

I don't think it's possible to gain 12lbs of fat in a week though - don't worry too much just yet. Salt is used by our bodies to help us retain water and keep hydrated. Because you've had a salty week, it will just help you to hold on to extra water, but it should go away when you return to a normal diet.
Coop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #6  
Hello!

S/C/G: 215/168.4/159.8

Height: 5' 5"

Absolutely. I've had this happen to me once or twice. I think the most I went up in 1 week being sick and having salty things was 14 lbs (I felt very bloated). It takes a few weeks for the water to drop off (at least for me).

My body is very sensitive to salt and carbs as far as retaining water weight. I can have a bit more salt or a few more carbs than normal and I put on about 2 lbs the next day. It alarms me less now that I know what it is, but it is still annoying.
Penny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #7  

Thanks for the reassurance everybody. for a short while I thought I was going nuts. I am not going anywhere near the scale before my regular weigh in or I may cry/drive myself rather insane.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #8  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

I hate getting sick so I know how you felt...On a side note, I love your picture.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #9  
Warrior Princess

Won ton soup is a ton of sodium. There's no way you gained that much weight living on soup and water. You'd have to be eating around 3,500 cals to gain a real pound. Don't fret.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #10  
Yes.

Being sick is the worst for sure. Good thing is you won't be catching the same strain again.
Forseir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #11  

Thanks Terra for the picture comment.
Yea Novangel, I am staying away from wonton soup for a very long time. When I worked out as I started to feel better, I was so salty. like my skin was incredibly salty. When sweat got into my eyes it burned so bad that I was so salty. It was crazy. I'm hoping when I weigh myself on saturday that things are back to normal-ish
Old 07-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #12  

Back in the 280s. Woohoo!!!!!!! I don't expect to be back to 282 by this saturday, but maybe by the next week. Wonton soup, it was nice knowing you. R.I.P.