Old 01-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/165/165

Height: 5'9"

Default The one (most important) reason I am so passionate about high fat low carb approaches

This is inspired by something I heard Robb Wolf say. He said he would be happy to be proven wrong about advocating, broadly speaking, low carb high fat (LCHF). But so far it just keeps working and working and working and working for health and a nice side effect weight loss. If ever proven wrong, he would drop it in a second.

So the reason is they work.

And here is the number one reason I think they work, they work with your body not against it and lower your hunger. They lower your hunger.

Remember 95.5% of people fail on counting calories, low fat, eat less, move more. And 80% of the 'successes' regain the weight.

Why? It is flipping hard. Restricting calories is HARD. It also sets up your metabolism to slow down.

Fat is SO IMPORTANT. I cannot overstate this. But it has to be the right kind. Basically any industrial seed oil is OUT. But high quality natural fats are so nourishing to the body. The body needs them for literally everything.

That is why your hunger goes down. Your body finally gets what it needs. I was eating probably 2,500 to 3,000 calories a day. But so many carbs, mostly unrefined, so little fat, moderate protein my body was famished, famished. Carbs really don't play any nutritional role.

Plus they set up insulin which then stores the calories as fat. The result? Constant hunger. People end up over-fed but under-nourished.

Fat just squashes hunger because the body is getting what it needs.

So if you've never tried LCHF, I urge you to. No calorie counting, always full, never hungry, yet getting healthier and smaller. That is why Robb Wolf is passionate, that is why I am, that is why so many people are.

Nutrient density.

BTW people get VERY confused about 'minimum carb requirements'. The body can convert protein and fat into as much glucose as it needs. Including for the brain. Plus the brain runs, very happily, after a short transition period on ketones for fuel. Constant, sustained, amazing brain energy.

Yes I have carbs. I eat plenty of veggies. But no there is not a carb minimum requirement.
PrimalLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Not all fats are important. Only essential fatty acids are.

And protein is also important.

And protein satiates more than fat. Lots of studies have shown this. The LCHF group are really just doing well because of the protein they eat with the rest of the junk doing them no good at all.

LCLFHP is really where it is at.

Last edited by IanG; 01-22-2015 at 02:50 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/165/165

Height: 5'9"

Incorrect. Most of the LCHF community are just that. And almost all the books and podcasts really go to point out...this is low carb HIGH fat NOT high protein.

As I have mentioned before, too much protein can and often does result in an insulin response. Trust me I am not high protein. It has probably gone down.

There is a reason it is the LCHF community. NOT the LCHP community.

I do agree that protein is satiating. But so is good quality fat. Most especially in the absence of carbs.

Ian for you that is great more protein is working. But it isn't like the community is confused or the successes are all people actually not doing LCHF. When I go to websites, podcasts, books, etc., the person doing the article/cast/etc. is very clear that it is low carb high fat not low carb high protein.

Last edited by PrimalLarry; 01-22-2015 at 04:29 PM.
PrimalLarry is offline   Reply With Quote