PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default My Big Fat Fabulous Life

I don't have PCOS, but I have read some of the threads in an effort to understand it.

Has anyone watched the show My Big Fab Fabulous Life? It is a reality show about Whitney Thore, who was diagnosed with PCOS and gained a lot of weight. She was a dancer before she gained weight, and is now teaching dance as a way to lose weight. Basically, the show is about loving your body just the way it is.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #2  

I watched it. I really liked her and felt for her. But her friend bringing the pizza just rubbed me the wrong way. PCOS could be a huge part of her weight but diet still matters. I have a feeling there is more to the story, esp. the way her dad treats her.

I'm looking forward to seeing more episodes.
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #3  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

I watched the first episode. I started to watch the second episode but stopped watching. I may finish it, I'm not sure.

I don't like her Dad. Her Mom is funny, but still a little old fashioned. My parents are that age, maybe a little older, and neither of them are/were (Mom died in 2007) that old fashioned.

As for the PCOS stuff, I was nodding my head yes at a lot of it.

The only down thing about the show-- and the reason I wound up turning it off the second show-- is because if focuses TOO much on weight. I get the premise behind the show, but too much of a good thing is well... too much, know what I mean?
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

The thing I like about it is how upbeat she always is. Instead of waiting until she loses weight to love herself, she loves herself now, just the way she is. I don't like her Dad, either, but I loved the way her friend stuck up for her when those people passing in the car made remarks. He is a true friend.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

It seems to be a good show! Need to watch it! thanks for advice;-) It is so important to love yourself!
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I have mixed feelings about the show.

On one hand, I'm glad they are promoting awareness about PCOS and how it can be hard to lose weight and I like the message that your life shouldn't stop because you're overweight or start once you have lost the weight. Your life does happen at ANY weight and if she wants to put herself out there to show that someone that is really overweight can have a life, I'm all for it. No fat-shaming!

But... At the same time, I find myself wondering if she's really doing everything she can to be healthier with PCOS. Whether it's the pizza or the episode I just saw about the banana mayonnaise sandwich... I cringe because I don't think she's really in the mind-set to lose the weight. Not that she has to be, because I know I went many years at around 200 lbs without any intention of losing weight. I didn't like it, but I also wasn't doing anything to get it off.

And knowing that PCOS can be treated with diet and exercise, I don't know if she's ready to treat it with food and exercise yet. And I also wonder if her doctors are putting her on medication or not. And maybe she doesn't have her mind wrapped around that yet or not...

This is where I get mixed up about it -- I'm all for promoting PCOS and not stigmatizing being overweight. But PCOS is a reason for the weight not coming off like "normal" people... It's not about staying overweight or having that be the reason for being overweight or eating unhealthy. I mean, I am okay even if I am still chubby, because my endoc and other doctors look at my bloodwork and say that I am managing my PCOS. Even if they still want me to lose more weight.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote