South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #1  

Default Official site worth the cost?

I'm excited to see that the SBD has an active following here! I've spent a couple of weeks trying to determine which program I want to follow to lose weight and I think I've just about settled on the SBD. I tried it years ago (about 10 years ago) and didn't last on it too long (2-3 weeks maybe). But, I'm more optimistic this time around and like the general approach.

I think it is important to me to be connected with others that are following the program. Do you think becoming a member of the official site is worth $4/week? Are there tools/resources there that a really helpful? Maybe its something that would be helpful in the short run.

Anyone have experience with the official site?

Thanks!
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/229.5/165

Height: 5'7"

Hi Maurene! It's been years since I've used the official site so current knowledge of the site is very limited. I can tell you that my main reason for paying for the official site back then was for the nutritionist coaching and the meal planning. I also found the support boards and the beach buddy really helpful too. Those resources would probably be great for a newbie like yourself. I would say go ahead and try it for a little bit and see what you think (as long as you don't have to sign any long term contracts). Weight loss journeys are really personal and what works for one person may not work for another. I believe you have to try out everything for yourself and find your best path.

For me personally I have been beaching it for many years and I'm not so much in need of the coaching and education as I am the support of others who are on the same road and the accountability of connection with other beachers. I get all of that here. I find the majority of my recipe ideas from Kalyn's Kitchen, SBD cookbooks, and the recipe boards here. In the beginning I needed to keep it as simple as possible since I was in a learning mode and that is probably why the site worked for me. I am pretty good at meal planning on my own now but in the beginning I really did need someone to give me a plan to follow. However, you can look at the on program threads here and get some ideas for meal planning.

Good luck in your journey and even if you decide to sign up for the official site, feel free to join us here as well!

Gabby
mcsgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 5"

I'm working on 4 years of SB and never joined the official site. I read the book (REALLY IMPORTANT) and mostly scoured the recipes here and from Kalyn's Kitchen.

As Gabby said, weight loss is personal so if you feel like you want to join the paid site go ahead. Hopefully you can do it short-term.

And welcome to the Beach.
Beth19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #4  

Thanks, Gabby and Beth!

The online site is pretty cheap, so I'm thinking it is worth it to try it out.
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote