General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/156/150

Height: 5'8

Default Crafty, content chicks

Hi all,
I just finished up my semester at school and now am at my parents' house for the next three weeks.
I'm used to always having something to do, always having classes, meetings, work, therapy, or field trips to attend, and always have homework to do.
Having entirely free time is tough for me. I always get bored, feel I have no purpose, and get very depressed.
SO! I am trying to get back into knitting, sewing, and art. Other than my art classes, I have little to no time for these things during the semester, and seem to now have no motivation for them when I do have time.

Let's have a thread where we share what we're working on, the progress, ideas, pictures of our work, or whatever.
It's such a great way to feel productive and to distract ourselves from eating issues or stress in our lives.

My big goal for this break is to make a backpack for myself since mine is falling apart, but I don't have much sewing experience, so it's going to take a bit of planning.
Otherwise, I'm hoping to knit my boss a hat, and myself a pair of mitts.

Last edited by RetroRabbit; 12-20-2014 at 11:18 AM.
RetroRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/199/125

Height: 5'1"

My crafting has been absolutely nil for the last month, which now that I think about it, might be part of my problem!

It's been a highly stressful holiday season with lots to do and some very nonholiday stress added on top. Thank you for posting, I'm going to go find one of my crafts after this post and do something with it, even if it amounts to nothing.

But back to topic. Crafting. Before life ambushed me last month, my current big craft was soap making. I'd make big batches of homemade soap every other weekend, in as many scent combinations as I could manage. I'll probably start again in the new year, but it's a little too set up/equipment intensive for me right now, especially with the precautions you need to take for the lye.

I think I'll dig out either the knitting needles and make some dishcloths (I'm horrible at knitting, they're literally the only thing I can manage to make) or find that crochet hook I bought and go searching youtube to see if I can find a decent how to vid and teach myself to crochet.

Allons-y!
vchan000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:59 AM   #3  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

I've been wanting to make soap for years and never have taken that next step of actually doing. It would be good since I pay for handmade shampoo bars and it would save me money.

My current knitting project is a cowl to match a hat I've already made but it is not worked on often. I did whip out a hat for my son for Christmas and hubby is lining it for me (he is the sewer, not me). I have no motivation to knit lately.

Retro, how long is your break? The hat and mittens alone would probably take up the entire time for me. Nvm, I see you wrote three weeks. That is a nice break!

Last edited by CoolMom75; 12-23-2014 at 03:00 AM.
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

I'm halfway through a big crochet blanket. I worked on it last year through December and haven't been back to it since, except for maybe one or two rows mid-year. I should definitely get back to that... our current couch blanket is awful.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I crochet. Working on a baby blanket for a friend of mine, and a scarf for my husband.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #6  
Releasing the inner hiker

I love Zentangle! It is a method of drawing repetitive patterns inside a frame. It can keep me occupied for hours, which is always helpful when my husband works nights and I'm home alone with a fridge.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #7  
JAYNE

S/C/G: 276/251/150

I'm back to crafting now that winter is in full swing. I quilt and sew and most recently am getting ready to tackle sculptured teddy bear making. I just went to a seminar and it is very big in Ireland and Britain and Australia but very few artist here in the states. I have made bears on the sewing machine for my kids but will see how it goes.
jillybean2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/199/125

Height: 5'1"

I started a carpentry course on Monday evenings. It's pretty much the same as a high school shops class. Instruction, safety and hands on use with a whole raft of power and hand tools. When the course is done you get a safety card and access to the woodshop for a drop in fee ($8) on weekends. I've got a bunch of projects piling up in my brain for later
vchan000 is offline   Reply With Quote