PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/232/110

Height: 5ft7

Post Can one have PCOS and have their period every month?

My doctor seems to think I might have it and I'm getting blood drawn. It does run in my family. She seems concerned about the hair on my stomach. I thought it was normal but she seemed to Think otherwise. News to me. I do have many of the symptoms but what I'm confused about is when she asked about my period I said its heavy and I get it monthly but that didn't seem to change her opinion. My little sister has PCOS and hardly ever gets hers. So does anyone's here have it and get a regular period? Is that possible?
imabehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/265/214

Height: 5'8"

Most doctors look for more than just one symptom to diagnose PCOS. Here is what my doctors looked for before they would consider blood work.Also when I drop below 230 pounds my periods come back but 1 pound over and they stop completely. You do not have to have all of the symptoms, some people have more of them, some only a few symptoms.

*Infrequent, absent, and/or irregular menstrual periods.
*Hirsutism (HER-suh-tiz-um) — increased hair growth on the face, chest, stomach, back, thumbs, or toes.
*Cysts on the ovaries.
*acne, oily skin, or dandruff.
*Weight gain or obesity, usually with extra weight around the waist
*Male-pattern baldness or thinning hair
Apyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

We present in at least 5 ways. So yes -- you can be ovulatory, get periods, and still be PCOS.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...tient-you.html

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #4  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

I get my period regularly but have a ton of body hair and also according to a dermatologist I have male pattern baldness (yay )

I am going for my blood work soon to be officially diagnosed. So from the sounds of it, you can have regular periods and have it
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I get my period every month now! When I was younger I did not, and then I was on BCP to get it. But I've been off BCP for 5 years now and I am still getting my periods AND I still have PCOS!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #6  
Mom of 3 under 2

S/C/G: 240/240/200

I have PCOS and get my period normally...I also get pregnant easily....but Im overweight and do gain weight easily too and have a harder time losing it....I have the annoying hair growth on my chin and neck...cystic acne.......I have a friend that also has PCOS...has a hard time getting pregnant..weighs no more than like..130lbs...has irregular cycles...she also has the hair issue and the acne issue too though...PCOS is soo different for everyone!
HappiestMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 242/232/110

Height: 5ft7

Thank you so much everyone. I have been diagnosed with PCOS this month. I had very heavy flow regular periods. Now that Im being treated I have normal flow regular periods it's pretty amazing. And cramping is very minimal. I guess pcos really is different for everyone. I never thought it possible for me to have a normal regular period. Metformin has proven that wrong.
imabehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Glad to hear your cycles are regulating!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

Yes. Mine basis it on unsulin resistance. He makes me do a 3 hour glucose test which he says he does at his own lab as it's specific to pcos. My periods are regular
wannabesomebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:29 AM   #10  

I never had my period regularly prior to my son, but since he was born almost 3 years ago it has come like clockwork, but I still have other PCOS symptoms.
Charlie820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 242/242/150

Prior to my diagnosis, I had regular heavy periods that would come every 35 to 40 days and last 7 days. I too had hair near my belly button, and the rest of my body hair grew quickly.
findingthehappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/245/175

Height: 5' 9.5"

For the past few years, I have been getting regular periods. Mine will last a few days and then be done. I too have unwanted body hair and spend plenty of time removing it. I did buy one of those at home laser removers. It has worked one the parts I use it on (mainly my face).
plus size librarian is offline   Reply With Quote