General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-05-2014, 04:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Default Not sure where to put this thread....

Haven't told anyone but today is day 6 with NO SMOKING. I stopped the day we came back from holiday. Not even sure husband noticed?! But if he did he is probably sure I will g back to smoking like so many times before. I feel better for it, my wallet does too. My mom was put on life support, open heart surgery, poor circulation, stents and now in process of having foot amputated all to complications caused from smoking. But I'm still in the place where I want to smoke. I think about it ALL THE TIME. I, 43 and smoked on and off since 17 years. I know the issues with it and you'd think the positives out weight all that but..... So hard. So I'm telling all you fantastic 3fc members for support and motivation. Weight loss, exercise AND stopped smoking. Think I'm crazy lol
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/168.8

Height: 5ft 2in

Congratulations!!!! That is awesome. I quit a few years ago and never looked back but I wasn't trying to lose weight at the same time Keep up the good work.
aryastark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/170/130

Height: 5'2"

Wow! I'm proud of you! You're doing what my son refers to as "If you're gonna go, go big!" he races dirt bikes. Haha!
The key to doing anything is actually wanting to! I've never smoked, but I lost both of my parents to cancer. My mom smoked for many years and quit when I was about 15. She actually had uterine cancer (she passed away in '97 @ 48). But my dad died at 61 of lung cancer and smoked until the end.
My point is, keep up the hard work! You can do it! And you'll feel better, look better, and hopefully be around a lot longer to enjoy family and friends!
Mx momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Bravo! I am not a smoker but a witness to my mom's many, many attempts to quit. She nailed it on something like the 20th try and hasn't smoked for about 5 years, I think. It's a wonderful gift you are giving yourself!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Good for you! I'm an ex smoker and I still smoke on occassion. I don't think of myself as addicted anymore since I can go days on end without smoking. It's a nice arrangement for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryastark View Post
Congratulations!!!! That is awesome. I quit a few years ago and never looked back but I wasn't trying to lose weight at the same time Keep up the good work.
Awesome screen name
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #6  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Great job!!! It will get better.... I promise. I quit about 10 years ago now and it was probably the best and hardest thing I've ever done. I can't decide if losing weight or quitting smoking is harder... but you've got guts to do them both at once!
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #7  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

My father died of emphysema, the last four months of his life were on a ventilator. He was conscious but couldn't eat, speak, leave the bed and knew the only way he was getting off the ventilator was by dying.

Nevertheless, I took up smoking at 17, too, and took to it like a duck to water. I always smoked upwards of a pack and a half a day. At the ten year mark I quit due to being hospitalized for a week with double pneumonia and managed to stay off them for several years. Since then I've been on and off several times, usually going back due to severe life stressors.

The cravings hit at odd times, the three day mark, the one week mark, the two week mark, etc. Seems to last for up to three months. You just have to drink a lot of water, breath through it, be patient with yourself and give yourself healthy rewards.

This information, though, in particular, has really helped me: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #8  
Warrior Princess

Excellent! I quit after 18 years so I know how hard it is. Good luck!
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:04 AM   #9  

How long has it been since you quit novangel? I'm working this weekend (7am sat while writing this waiting to leave for work) on call 3 nights in a row and workin 11 days straight. And I am craving nicotine badly. I quit Sunday 31st of august Thanks for the link renew me! I never knew any of that. I read it and reread it I even had my car detailed and it smells wonderful. Needed to erase the smoke smell.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:01 AM   #10  
Losing it every day...

S/C/G: 303.8/ticker/155

Height: 5'7

Congrats on quitting. I quit in July, but I spent the month of June weaning myself off of the cigarettes. I found the patch helped a lot in controlling my cravings. Are you using any tools to help yourself with quitting?
twish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #11  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddahcat View Post
How long has it been since you quit novangel?
I was a serial quitter. It took me many times to finally get it done but I was cutting back more and more until I finally just stopped one day. It was very gradual. I used to be a 1/2 pack a day smoker and WAY more if I was drinking.

I'd say I have been only a "social smoker" the last 5 years (a few cigarettes a month) and 100% quit for a little more than a year.

What helps is I don't really drink anymore, my BF of 6 years is a non-smoker, and well...I enjoy being a runner.

I rarely ever miss it but the mind never forgets because I still have smoking dreams on occasion.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #12  

twishno tools to help. Just cold turkey. Still not smoked but boy do I want to! my fatter wallet is helping to encourage me. A week at a pack a day =£9 per pack = £63 a week = £252 a month = $411 a month savings
And novangel still laughing over serial smoker. That describes it best
Old 09-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #13  

Well done!! Sorry to hear about your Mom. I also quit a couple of months ago. Also gradually smoking less until I realized that I have to go cold turkey and just did it. Never looked back and I feel great! The first 3 weeks was the hardest though. Keep up the good work. You will definitely reap the benefits.
NewNicole is offline   Reply With Quote