Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/165/140

Height: 5' 2"

Default No weight loss success. :(

I have mild PCOS, am 50 years old, and am probably close to menopause (had a hysterectomy 13 years ago, so it's hard to be sure). I have tried many ways to lose weight, supervised by my naturopath. I've counted calories on My Fitness Pal, I've been on the Dysglycemic Diet, I have done food combining, and all work for a short time, then they stop working and the weight comes back. I'm not in terrible shape - I only need to lose about 20 pounds. I work out three times a week, and on top of that walk my dog. Thoughts? Ideas? I'd really like to move this weight once and for all.
slb260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #2  
Less of a Better Me

To lose weight you need to burn more calories than you eat. Do you have an activity tracker. I know that I'm very sedentary (I'm older than you) unless I make a real effort to move. Even then I usually burn between 1700 and 1900 calories a day per my Fitbit (it is probably a little lower than that). So I have to eat less calories than that to be able to lose weight.

When you were counting calories how many calories were you eating? Basically you have to match that up with your calories burned to make sure you have a deficit.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #3  

The simplest way to put it is this: either your program sucks or your follow through sucks. If you are truly sticking to your calorie limits then it's time to change it up.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

What kind of program does your naturopath give you?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

PCOS can definitely complicate things, and understanding the exacerbating factors of the endocrine disruption is really, really helpful. The best kind of diet to manage PCOS is low carb.

Woo is acerbic and brilliant, all at the same time. She just wrote an *excellent* guide on the subject that would benefit you greatly to read:
http://itsthewooo.blogspot.com/2014/...e-that-is.html

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 04-30-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:29 AM   #6  

Last edited by emma1986; 05-07-2014 at 01:30 AM. Reason: ...
emma1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #7  

I agree. Low carb, no sugar and higher lean protein will help. Have you looked into Paleo. I find that kind of eating programme helps me shed fat and build lean muscle mass well. It also provides more energy longer term so cuts out the need for snacking. Added benefit no hardcore workout regime! I quite like the blog Marks Daily Apple if you want to check out paleo a bit more. Good luck!
sw49a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #8  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 278/253/150

Height: 5'4"

Default PCOS and Weight Loss

I was diagnosed with PCOS last month. Here's the deal. No matter how many calories you burn (eating 1200 a day and burning 1600) you will see very little weight loss. Bouncing 20 pounds in either direction is quite normal for PCOS patients that are not on the Insulin Resistant Diet. You have to eat more protein than carbs and the diet is very strict and, if you do Ideal Protein or ProtiDiet, the food can be hard to adjust to but it is needed to lose weight with PCOS. Since starting the Insulin Resistant Diet and exercising 3 days a week, I've lost 25 pounds. I'm full (maybe not happy with the taste) and I don't have cravings for anything not good for me (except the occassional Pepsi). Now, the reason your body is different from someone without PCOS is your body sees carbs and produces TOO much insulin to break it down. When you have too much insulin in your body, it stores as fat. So, you see, no matter how many calories you burn, if you're not eating more protein than carbs, you'll never lose more than 20 pounds.
vicki.elliott84 is offline   Reply With Quote