Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #1  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Default Chopsticks

So, I recently traveled with a colleague from work who used to live in China. He swears that people are slimmer there, in part, because they eat with chopsticks which slows their food intake down and makes them feel fuller.

So I have decided to eat my lunch salad with chopsticks from now on.

I'll let you know how it goes. It will be a useful skill to learn, whether it makes me feel fuller or not! It could get messy with the early attempts though.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I have many Asian friends and they can eat just as fast with chopsticks as anyone with a fork. Slowing down eating does help you realize when your hunger is sated more accurately and it's good to eat slowly and mindfully. I'm sure if you try the chopstick thing it will work for while until you eventually learn how to be very efficient and will need to find another way.

Although I would disagree that Asians are slimmer because they use chopsticks I would agree that learning to use chopsticks is a valuable skill and is also good as a brain exercise. Another good one is to use your left hand to do tasks you usually do with the right or vice versa. For example brushing your teeth or using a fork with the other hand. Putting the phone up to the other ear. Writing with your other hand. I also like to brush my teeth or washing dishes standing on one foot. My PT recommended those for better balance.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Default I'm inclined to agree with your colleague

And I can tell you from personal experience that a burger and fries lose some of their magic when you eat them with chopsticks.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #4  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

A good practice food is popcorn since its easy to grip and not messy if you drop it. I was a weird child that insisted on eating with chopsticks all the time.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There's an old joke about the "chopstick diet," which encourages you to eat everything with chopsticks. If you are Asian and/or are already or become adept at using chopsticks, then you only get one chopstick.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-14-2014 at 09:27 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #6  

I can eat with chopsticks (I'm Vietnamese, of course I know how to use chopsticks!) and I have no problems eating quickly with chopsticks. It does not make me eat slower.
memememe76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I always eat with chopsticks when i eat asian food. Even slimy noodles from a soup.

Have you not noticed how asians put the rice bowl up to their mouth and just shovel in the food.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I can definitely eat fast with chopsticks.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #9  
Maria

S/C/G: 253/144/129.8

Height: 5' 6"

Chopsticks won't really make a difference. I'm not even sure I know how to hold them but I eat faster with them than with a fork. I pick up more food with them and I think it's easier to shovel it down.
Marniadec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #10  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

I used to work for a large Japanese corporation. I think the reason why some Asians are thin has more to do with their diet, and genes, than using chop sticks. For example, you need to eat a lot of sushi to gain weight. If it wasn't sushi, it was a bowl of rice, prepared so it sticks together so it can be picked up with the chop sticks and a couple of ounces of protein. Never any bread, or cakes or cookies.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #11  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I'm not Asian but I am completely adept at speed eating with chopsticks, so no "diet" benefit there for me. I can clean up 12 pieces of sushi in minutes without so much as a dropped grain of rice haha!
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #12  

Perhaps its because I grew up eating with chopsticks, but I can pick up MORE food with chopsticks, since you need to balance the food on two sticks, whereas with forks it needs to be able to be stabbed without crumbling - chopsticks can handle crumbly, soft foods without breaking apart with the right balance. I grew up eating ice cream for breakfast - with chopsticks. mmmmm
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #13  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Add me to the list of folks who eat as fast or faster with chopsticks, by and large. I do find that if I'm trying to slow down I can do so with chopsticks more easily than a fork, but that is still achieved by conscientiously pulling it back.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #14  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Well, they sure as heck slowerd me down today! Practice will make perfect.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #15  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Did someone say sushi? Oh boy. instant craving. I swear I can hear that word spoken from miles away and then it's all I'll think about for weeks!

Ian, maybe you should avoid perfection with chopsticks since apparently for some it can speed up eating. lol! However, I am now visualizing you eating canned fish with chopsticks straight out of the can.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote