WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 03:41 PM   #1  

I've done really well working weekend alcohol points into the program, but I haven't done well getting motivated to do more activity, so I've decided I'm going to make myself earn those 2 glasses of wine per weekend day through activity points. I know the arguments against "activity for more food" thinking, and I'm not saying I'm going to necessarily use more points, but I am saying if I want to use points on alcohol, I'll have to earn them. Anyone else motivating yourself like this and how does it work?
Old 03-12-2001, 03:43 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

I just work it into my weekend and don't worry about the "activity points for whatever". It's easy if you can bank but if you can't that might help motivate you to "move" but I do most of my moving while I'm out drinking anyway!
Old 03-12-2001, 03:53 PM   #3  

From reading your posts, I gather you enjoy your beer as much as I look forward to my wine drinking, so somehow I knew you'd be the first to respond. I've been thinking about this a lot and realized if I come home and have a drink (whether I've banked for it or not), all motivation to hit the street in my walking shoes goes out the window, so I'm gonna have to do the walking first. I'll let you know how my first week of motivation turns out.

We recently moved to a neighborhood with a lot or walkers and we have a country front porch with rockers. We haven't figured out how to get "credit" for watching others walk while we sit and rock and sip. We're out there early in the morning sipping coffee and on weekends sipping wine. Anyone know how many activity points in 30 minutes of rocking?
Old 03-12-2001, 04:07 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

That would be light activity! LOL! Use your activity points finder! LOL!

I do love my beer and probably always will.
Old 03-12-2001, 04:08 PM   #5  

Default Good idea!

If this method works you should stick with it. I myself try to bank points. I also find that I don't need to have as many drinks to feel it. Especially, since I'm not eating as much as usual. I have switched to wine because I can feel the effects off of one glass rather than say 2-3 beers or whatever. So be careful!

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2001, 06:38 PM   #6  

Quick update on my plan.
I walked 1 hr for each of last two night earning activity points.
Last night my DH asked me to bring a bottle of wine home since he'd be gone rest of the week and wanted to celebrate his birthday.
WELL....
I was so thrillled that I had my activity points built up for the weekend, so I felt justified in joining him in two glasses of wine.
Flip side... now I've got to earn those points for the weekend all over again.
I think this is going to be a good motivation for me.
Gotta hit the streets.....
Paige
Old 03-14-2001, 07:16 PM   #7  

What kind of exercise did you have in mind for that alcohol? Sex or dancing? He He. Kidding of course. I have done that on occassion-got in a little activity to compensate for some unplanned vodka. Which I don't particulary care for. I really hate giving up points for something I don't like. Sometimes it becomes necessary. But like someone said, it's better if you have a few points banked-if not- activity points is the next best thing.
Old 03-15-2001, 07:13 PM   #8  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default Parsp...

I'm not too keen on the forum lingo, but I've seen someone post "DH"
before....I'm guessing "something-husband"?

Sorry I'm so silly!
Old 03-15-2001, 08:14 PM   #9  

Well, in most cases DH stands for Dear Husband, but when they are not being cooperative, the D could stand for something else. I always rely on context.

LOL

Liza
Old 03-16-2001, 11:21 AM   #10  

Girlie, Lisa got it right! Most of the time, my DH is a DEAR.
Wanted to post that this plan is working for me! Lost 1.5 since Monday, so all this activity must be doing something. I'm like a hamster on that wheel walking and walking and walking with my reward in sight! I even broke out a workout tape since it was raining the other morning and I was determined to have those activity (aka alcohol) points built up!
Even if wine or beer is not your thing, setting aside some kind of special treat you can only "buy" with activity points may be a good motivator for others. Anyone else do this sort of thing?
Here's to the weekend!
Paige
Old 03-20-2001, 01:17 AM   #11  

Default What's the argument against points for activity?

Someone in the beginning of this thread mentioned knowing the arguments against food for exercise...can someone summarize the arguments?

I have been doing WW for 9 weeks and lost 14 pounds in the first 8 which for me is wonderful! I use basically all the exercise points I earn (I was exercising regularly before starting WW so they gave me the poinstbooster right away). As long as I am losing, I figure, why not use them?

Actually this week I am finding I don't need them all, but usually I do. And I earn a LOT of activity points. There was a post on Dotti's a while back saying what "high/moderate/light" corresponded to in heartrate ranges, and I now use my heartrate monitor to figure out where I am for how long. A typical advanced step aerobics class is 5-6 points for me and the one that has toning for 1/2 hour after is about 7. I try to do a minimum of 2 points a day (a yoga tape or a walk) for 6 days a week, and at least 2-3 aerobic classes per week (these replace the yoga/walk, not added on! I don't have that much time on my hands ).

Please, no comments about that I shouldn't be exercising so I can eat more candy (like I got on Dotti's once ) - I AM eating pretty healthily. YES I admit that points are a huge motivator for me, but more along the lines of I can't keep my current lifestyle without the points I get from exercise so it really pushes me to exercise regularly and especially on days that I will be eating more or poorly (which are the worst days not to exercise, of course).

Thanks!

Lisa
Old 03-20-2001, 08:46 AM   #12  

Hey, Lisa,
You're thinking along the same lines as I! Your comment about not being able to keep the same lifestyle without the points from exercise is what I realized too when I settled on this plan. I'm the one who mentioned the arguments about not exercising just to eat more. I've read some discussion here and agree that we should look at exercise as a healthly lifestyle and not just a license to eat since we're all trying to learn healthier eatting habits also. I realize I could work the points in for a couple of glasses of wine and still be very much OP, especially with banking as others have suggested. Like I said, I had been doing that. It's sort of like I had matered the art of counting points and planning for higher point days/treats. The thing I hadn't mastered was committing to activity, so I latched onto this as a motivator for me. BTW It sounds like you've got the activity thing going! I envy you, and am getting there slowly but surely. I'll have to say, I'm proud of myself for keeping my promise to myself last week, and I've started this week by trying a new workout video so week #2 of committed activity is off to a good start. Yes, it's a mind game... but it's working!
Hope this helps.
Paige
Closed Thread