Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Default Unproven tips for weight loss

Does anyone do anything or eat anything that you aren't sure is really working but you do it just in case? For example, each morning, even though it isn't a part of the diet I'm supposed to be following, I eat hot pepper jelly with my boiled eggs. I have a friend who's lost 20 lbs and claims all he's done differently is eat hot pepper jelly on his eggs. He told me it suppresses his appetite and the capsaicin in it is supposed to help speed metabolism. So a couple of weeks ago, I started eating hot pepper jelly with my eggs (strange combination by the way) and as soon as I did, I pushed past a pesky plateau I was having. Of course, it could be coincidence, but also, it does seem to help suppress my appetite. Maybe it's all in my imagination, but at this point, I'm thinking, hey why not, it's not hurting anything. I just wondered if there are any other safe, unproven tips out there that some of you are trying.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/172/150

Height: 5'2"

i drink cinnamon water ( 32 oz water boiled with a couple of stick o cinnamon in it)..every morning. A friend of mine said she had lost a lot of her weight cos ofthis and i went ahead and tried it. Does it work??? well...i think it does suppress appetite but wud not give sole credit for weight loss to this only. My attitude to this wa sexactly like urs..whatever works and it is not doing any harm, is it??
iamritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/147

I put cayenne pepper in my homemade vegetable soup and in my afternoon cinnamon tea (great pick-me-up!). I love the little bit of heat and hear it helps increase the metabolism a bit. Not sure if it's working but I love the flavor and it can't hurt!
konablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui_D View Post
I eat hot pepper jelly with my boiled eggs. I have a friend who's lost 20 lbs and claims all he's done differently is eat hot pepper jelly on his eggs. He told me it suppresses his appetite and the capsaicin in it is supposed to help speed metabolism.
I wish I could use this tip, but I like hot pepper jelly so much that I eat it straight out of the jar and I've never found it to suppress my appetite.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
I wish I could use this tip, but I like hot pepper jelly so much that I eat it straight out of the jar and I've never found it to suppress my appetite.

Freelance
Hm, I wonder if it works for me because I have no kind of tolerance for its spiciness. I'm very sensitive to spicy foods. They burn me from my lips all the way down!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post

Freelance

Same here. Hot pepper jelly or any other kind of jelly for that matter.

Jelly is the devil.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

If you eat hot pepper jelly on eggs and your appetite is suppressed, how do you know which is do the suppressing? It could be either the hot pepper jelly, or the egg or the combination. Have you tried either by itself? Curious minds want to know!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #8  

I've eaten boiled eggs by themselves many times, and that did not do it. I've never eaten hot pepper jelly before, so I don't know if it's the jelly by itself or the fact that I combine it with eggs. My friend also eats it with eggs, so that doesn't help solve the mystery, lol. It could actually be just the power of suggestion, as in I think it's going to work so it seems to, but I don't know.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/254/135

Height: 5'5"

I put tons of ice in all of my drinks and make sure they're really cold before drinking, because I heard/read somewhere that you burn a few extra calories with really cold water. I have no idea if this is true, but I figure it can't hurt!
ctkat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #10  

I've read that hot drinks suppress appetite and it does work for me.
earthecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 203.6 / 200.8 / 115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
Same here. Hot pepper jelly or any other kind of jelly for that matter.

Jelly is the devil.
You all are making me want to try hot pepper jelly now! It sounds...interesting.
Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Has anyone tried wearing a rubber band on their wrist and then snapping it when they feel a food craving? I know it's ridiculous but for some reason I'm tempted to try it lol.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha29 View Post
You all are making me want to try hot pepper jelly now! It sounds...interesting.
It's pretty good, although it did take me a minute to get used to it, lol. I eat 2 tbsp (total) with my 2 boiled eggs each morning. I'm thinking it might taste better on English Muffins, but my weight loss plan limits carbs and I'm already pushing it by eating the hot pepper jelly!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 09-25-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Has anyone tried wearing a rubber band on their wrist and then snapping it when they feel a food craving? I know it's ridiculous but for some reason I'm tempted to try it lol.
Interesting idea. Behavior modification?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #15  

Hm, I just watched a taped episode of Dr. Oz and he gave an interesting trick. He said if you have a craving, eat 2 bites of what you crave, and then drink 2 glasses of water. Supposedly, you can trick your brain and stomach into feeling like you've filled up on the food that you crave when you actually haven't. I wonder if that works. It'd certainly be worth a try, especially during that nearly impossible week of pre-TOM!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 09-25-2013 at 11:13 AM.