Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #1  

Default Frustrated about food >_<

So, to start off, my husband is a trucker. He is gone for long periods of times and home for maybe a weekend once a month. While he is gone, I am able to stick faithfully to my diet.

Today, he decided to order pizza, not just 1 but 2, also got cinnamon sticks, bread sticks and chocolate lava cakes. He is leaving tomorrow morning for a week to go pick up a new truck, basically leaving the left overs (all the sticks, half of each pizza and both lava cakes) at the house. I am not one to simply waste food and throw it away, but there's no way that I'm going to continue eating that garbage while he is gone >_< I already feel extremely guilty about what I have already eaten >_<

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH
Mizeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Throw it out ! whether you eat it or throw it out it is gone.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #3  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

Pack up the food and send it with him.

Alternately we have lots of street people in my city holding signs, if you live in one of those towns, I found that they don't want fruit but calories especially sugar. Hand it out.

If you can resist unthawing it, freeze it. Wrap well in plastic wrap and put it in freezer bags. Good luck.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #4  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizeria View Post
I am not one to simply waste food and throw it away, but there's no way that I'm going to continue eating that garbage while he is gone
Serve him pizza and lava cakes for breakfast and wrap up the rest and put it in a cooler for his lunch

If any is left behind, remember that your body is not a garbage can. Forget about the cost of the food or the idea of wasting it, and go ahead and throw it away if you can't give it away right away. Sprinkle it with vinegar and salt before you have a chance to think twice about it The next time your husband wants to order take-out, let him know how much was wasted the last time and hopefully he'll order less. If he eats it all and still wants more, then go buy a little more. I have a feeling that won't happen.

Good luck with this, it would be a struggle for me as well. I hope you are able to get rid of it!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #5  

Unfortunately, he refuses to take the pizza and extras with him. He will already be loaded down as he has to take greyhound to get his truck (enterprise decided randomly that our cell phone bill wasn't proof of address).

I cannot give it out as I cannot leave my apartment (I am on crutches and on the 3rd floor) without assistance, I'd give it to my neighbors, but unfortunately, despite never speaking with me, hate my guts. Seriously, 2 weeks after moving in I tried waving to one of them... He flipped me the bird.

I also have no room in my freezer for anything at all. It's jam packed with all my good-for-you foods >_<

I'm oh so mad at myself. I do SO well, and am SO strict when he's gone, and then EVERY. SINGLE. TIME he is home he orders a ridiculous amount of either pizza or chinese food. I seriously wonder if it is sabotage as he never approved of me dieting in the first place. >_<
Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Looks like the garbage is the only option then.As Bargo said, if you eat it or throw it in the garbage, it's equally gone. it will do much less damage in the garbage.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

I think if you know you can't exercise portion control with it you should throw it in the garbage. Maybe set aside two slices of pizza for your dinner or something and throw the rest out. I really don't think it's anymore wasteful than eating 100's of calories you don't need
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

3rd floor, open the window, loosen the screen and toss!

You are not wasting food, you are tossing crap that no self respecting person would eat on a regular basis, let alone feed to your dog or cat.

That stuff is not food, it's a heart attack, diabetes, gall stones, and another jillion health issues waiting to happen.

No guilt in tossing that junk.

I would not even put those leftovers in my garden compost pile!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #9  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Don't treat yourself like a garbage can! You're worthy of better.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizeria View Post
Unfortunately, he refuses to take the pizza and extras with him. He will already be loaded down as he has to take greyhound to get his truck (enterprise decided randomly that our cell phone bill wasn't proof of address).

I cannot give it out as I cannot leave my apartment (I am on crutches and on the 3rd floor) without assistance, I'd give it to my neighbors, but unfortunately, despite never speaking with me, hate my guts. Seriously, 2 weeks after moving in I tried waving to one of them... He flipped me the bird.

I also have no room in my freezer for anything at all. It's jam packed with all my good-for-you foods >_<

I'm oh so mad at myself. I do SO well, and am SO strict when he's gone, and then EVERY. SINGLE. TIME he is home he orders a ridiculous amount of either pizza or chinese food. I seriously wonder if it is sabotage as he never approved of me dieting in the first place. >_<
It's sabotage.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I agree that garbage belongs in the garbage can, not in your body.

Your husband may or may not be trying to sabotage your efforts, but even if he is, you do not have to cooperate.

I hate the word sabotage, because it implies that the efforts are conscious and that the saboteur has control over the damage. Hiding a bomb is sabotage. Trying to persuade, cajole, or entice someone into doing what you want (whether or not you know what you want) is an attempt at manipulation, but calling it sabotage makes it seem like the target of the manipulation doesn't have control over the damage.

You have 100% control. You do not have to allow yourself to be manipulated. You can choose to put garbage in the garbage can where it belongs, or you can treat your body like a garbage can.

If you think your husband is intentionally trying to trip you up, you have to be firm in setting boundaries. You decide what and when you eat. You do not have to confront him if you do not wish to, but be firm in your resolve to eat what and when you decide. Everything else is garbage and should be treated that way.

Food waste is a problem in this country, but obesity is a much bigger problem. Pick your battles based on what will win the war. Better to pitch a few thousand calories into the trash than add them to your thighs.

Think of it as feeding hungry sea gulls, feral dogs and cats, ravens, starling, foxes, coyotes, skunks, racoons, rats, mice, worms, insects and other wildlife at the dump. Dumps are an entire ecosystem in themselves.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-07-2013 at 10:48 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #12  
DonnaNoble Has Been Saved

S/C/G: 245/239/137

I agree. I, too, hate throwing out good food but, sweetie, this stuff has to go. If it makes you feel better, save one or two slices of the pizza you like best for lunch or dinner in the next day or two, but the rest has to go.

The first time I dumped "good" but not so good (unhealthy) food in the trash to avoid eating it, it felt kind of liberation.
DonnaNoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #13  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

I'm all about not wasting either but after your second post, I say pitch it and dump coffee grounds or some such on it if you'd be remotely tempted to retrieve it.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #14  

So, I did get rid of the food.

I also did it in a way that actually made me feel quite happy.

I've been seeing a stray pit-bull mix and her pups in my area (my husband will not let me take her in or else I would). From what I heard from the neighbors (the mean ones) she's not very nice or trusting of them, but she's always come right up to me.

I removed the cheese, put the pizzas in a ziploc bag and scooted on my butt down the stairs (yes, on my butt). A few calls and she came to me. I gave her and her little ones the pizza and they seemed more than happy to have it, as momma is quite thin.

That's my good deed for the day, and no more bad food. Yay.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #15  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Yes, call all your local dog/pit rescues, please. Poor momma and babies deserve a chance.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote