Old 06-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #1  

Default Suggestions for cooking protein

Good evening everyone! This is my 2nd go round with IP. The first time around, I loved grilled chicken and baked tilapia. I brush olive oil and put sea salt on both before cooking it. I am enjoying the steaks that we make but I really don't want to eat red meat everyday and it is quite expensive. But, for some reason, I feel like I am choking it down. I need some other suggestions on how to cook other proteins and still get my oil and salt in. I would love to hear if you have any suggestions for how to prepare pork tenderloin and stay within the program.

Any suggestions on what you all eat and how you prepare it? BTW, in case you haven't figured it out, I am a rookie when it comes to the kitchen.

Thanks for all of your help!
Amy
ames1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Grill baby, grill. We load the grill up and then have grilled meats for several nights. Try a center cut pork roast with some salt/pepper (I use Montreal steak seasoning) rub it all over with a tiny bit of olive oil... Depending on size only takes an hour or so. or try salmon on the grill. At the same time I grill chicken breast (on the bones, skin on then remove it later to keep it from drying). A nice London Broil I marinate in low sodium soy mixed w/apple cider or Rice wine vinegar (be sure it is plain not flavored rice wine) and shave fresh ginger, add a few drops of sesame oil and a little Splenda for an awesome Asian teriyaki flavor.

And you don't have to put oil on your protein. Add it to your salad or veggies. In fact there had been discussion on here that it is best when added to your food rather than as cooking oil.

Enjoy lots of variety!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #3  
Started IP 03/06/2013

S/C/G: 198.8/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I'm loving the oil and salt on the salad with a variety of allowable vinegars. As for meat, the barbecue is nice. A few days ago I cut up a pork loin into 8oz portions and barbecued the portions with garlic and herbs. Poached fish is mild and flavorful (and moist).
WillowVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/260/150

Height: 5'3"

Definitely grill. Also- stir fry. 2-3 times a week we throw chicken or pork loin into a wok with 2 tsp of olive oil, ginger, soy sauce, salt, pepper and garlic, then add every veggie allowed- broccoli, peppers, squash, onions.... very flavorful and perfect way to get in the 2c of veggies as well as the protein.
jodi73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: me:153/129/130 him:243/203/185

Height: me 5'5" him 5'9"

I agree with grilling, especially now in the summer, but a favorite way for me to prepare chicken tenderloins is to pan-saute them. I dust them pretty generously with Lawry's garlic salt (it is the best, it is a coarsely ground product with little flakes of parsley) and pepper, and pan saute with my tsp of oil in a teflon pan over medium to med hi heat. They cook quickly and it is key to let them caramelize (brown) a little. The flavor is so delicious this way, and the drippings along with the residual oil make a little pan sauce (not much but enough). This is a family favorite, even not on IP, although I would add a tsp of butter before!

Key ingredient to flavorful meats- Lawry's Garlic Salt (coarse ground with parsley)

Last edited by EasierWithTwo; 06-13-2013 at 09:55 AM.
EasierWithTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #6  

I'd suggest spending some time in the recipe threads. There are bunches of the and links are provided in the first post of the daily thread
Also, lots of ideas in the What are you eating thread
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 320/IP303/197/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasierWithTwo View Post

Key ingredient to flavorful meats- Lawry's Garlic Salt (coarse ground with parsley)
The ingredient list includes sugar so I'm assuming we shouldn't use it? It sounds really good though.

http://www.lawrys.com/Products/Spice...rlic-Salt.aspx
Cherie2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #8  
Round 2 started 6/21/13

S/C/G: 269/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

One of my favorite dinners is kabobs. It's really easy and it looks really fun, too. I cut up chicken or steak in cubes and skewer it together with green peppers and whole button mushrooms. 20 minutes in the oven or just throw them on the BBQ. I've put all kinds of spices on there, but simple salt and pepper is great, too.

If you're feeling adventurous you can also try extra-solid tofu - put some soy sauce on there and red pepper flakes.
Beanie Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/166/140

Height: 5'8"

A meal I eat about once a week is cubed chicken breast over cauliflower mashed potatoes, covered in Walden Farms barbeque sauce. The flavors and textures are so good you feel like you are cheating, I'm so full after eating it, and it is totally legal!
Becca Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #10  
restart 5/27/14

S/C/G: 197.4/161.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Boo View Post
A meal I eat about once a week is cubed chicken breast over cauliflower mashed potatoes, covered in Walden Farms barbeque sauce. The flavors and textures are so good you feel like you are cheating, I'm so full after eating it, and it is totally legal!
I haven't tried the WF barbeque sauce. In just might have to try that. Sounds good.

I just marinade my chicken in Soy sauce then grill. Delicious
jemma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #11  
Started IP 6/12/14

S/C/G: 192/138.6/132

Height: 5'3

I like the WF Thick and Spicy BBQ Sauce. I picked up some of the Hickory Smoked BBQ Sauce to try. I want to make a cauliflower 'pizza' crust with the BBQ Sauce and Chicken on the top of it like a good ole BBQ Chicken Pizza.
kissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #12  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I put tenderloin in the crock pot (almost seems a shame I know) and it just pulls apart 8 hours later for 'pulled pork' anything. You could use just a broth if you were worried about sauces or add some WF sauce after, or some "red hot" if you like spice. I just love the tenderness of the pulled pork and the crock pot keeps things pretty cool for cooking off grill.

Edit: I don't use the "chili" packs (do they still have them?) but it might be a good one to add to bulk up the chili and add spice to the meat...

Last edited by IP43; 07-14-2014 at 04:12 PM.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote