Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #1  
IP Start Date 5/13/13

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Slow start?

I started IP on Monday (5 days ago). My coach is a little scatterbrained, and well, my preliminary weigh in was the Thursday before, so my first "official weigh in" was this past Thursday, day 4 of IP. I know I was only 4 days in, but the scale said I had lost 2 lbs. I'm trying not to get discouraged, but I can't help it, so I've been weighing myself at home, too. Friday didn't budge. Today I'm down 2 for a total of 4. (Today is actually day 6).

My weekly weigh ins will continue on Thursdays, so I'm trying to look at Thursday to Thursday progress, but it's hard. I've followed the protocol religiously, measuring out my vegetables, proteins, etc. I am taking the supplements, drinking at least 12 glasses of water a day and doing the salt and olive oil. The only thing I may have done is used an extra teaspoon of olive oil preparing my meals. I eat loads of lettuce and I just need a little something on it, so I made a dressing with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, water, splenda and spices. I'm not taking the "extra" packet that I was told I could in the first week either.

My husband is doing it with me, and we are eating the same meals and he lost 9 lbs in that time frame. I know men lose weight faster, but to only have lost 4 lbs when my first week is almost done is a little discouraging. I would be thrilled with that loss in future weeks, but everyone talks about big losses in the first week or two. This makes me worry I will only lose a half a pound in the coming weeks, or worse, gain.

And, no, I'm no stick figure. I have more than 50 lbs to loose.

Is it possible this diet doesn't work for some people? What is going on?
hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #2  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

You lost 4 lbs in 6 days, it's definitely working.

I've seen other people that were discouraged with their loss on the first week being 3-5 lbs. I'm not sure I've ever lost 4 lbs the first week on any other diet. Some people diet for 2 months to get that kind of loss.

Everyone is different, so try not to compare yourself with anyone else especially your husband.

Patience grasshopper! Try to think about the big picture, and not focus on weekly WI's. Also stay off that scale between WI's if it is stressing you out. My weight can go up or stay the same during the week and it usually drops the day before or of WI.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangdog View Post
I started IP on Monday (5 days ago). My coach is a little scatterbrained, and well, my preliminary weigh in was the Thursday before, so my first "official weigh in" was this past Thursday, day 4 of IP. I know I was only 4 days in, but the scale said I had lost 2 lbs. I'm trying not to get discouraged, but I can't help it, so I've been weighing myself at home, too. Friday didn't budge. Today I'm down 2 for a total of 4. (Today is actually day 6).

My weekly weigh ins will continue on Thursdays, so I'm trying to look at Thursday to Thursday progress, but it's hard. I've followed the protocol religiously, measuring out my vegetables, proteins, etc. I am taking the supplements, drinking at least 12 glasses of water a day and doing the salt and olive oil. The only thing I may have done is used an extra teaspoon of olive oil preparing my meals. I eat loads of lettuce and I just need a little something on it, so I made a dressing with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, water, splenda and spices. I'm not taking the "extra" packet that I was told I could in the first week either.

My husband is doing it with me, and we are eating the same meals and he lost 9 lbs in that time frame. I know men lose weight faster, but to only have lost 4 lbs when my first week is almost done is a little discouraging. I would be thrilled with that loss in future weeks, but everyone talks about big losses in the first week or two. This makes me worry I will only lose a half a pound in the coming weeks, or worse, gain.

And, no, I'm no stick figure. I have more than 50 lbs to loose.

Is it possible this diet doesn't work for some people? What is going on?
In a nutshell, it was only 4 days. You probably shouldn't have weighed in until the following week.

I'm going to re-post something I wrote to someone else on a different thread who was complaining they "only" lost less than a pound:
I'm gonna give you THE pep talk
First "only" is a four-letter word around here.
You lost weight! Be happy! Not only that, but you lost in measurements, as well!

Second, the scale only weighs "weight". So if you're holding onto any water or if you're constipated or if you weighed at a different time this week than last week, or if there are ANY other variables, the scale measured them. The scale is not efficient in weighing fat loss.

Third, find a way to keep yourself motivated. Not every week will be a big week. I fell and had an injury and had a gain. This is due to inflammation (which is water weight). I know I didn't gain fat. Yes, it can be demoralizing but what is the alternative? Go off the diet? No way. I've come too far and I have goals.

So, what to do? Find some new recipes & have some fun! Don't make it such a bad thing.

Keep going!

In addition, I suggest you read the responses in this thread, although the question is a bit different, the attitude is the same. Successful weight loss (esp long-term) is all about the attitude
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...an-others.html

As you can see, there are many threads that support you. Spend some time reading/learning on this site and you WILL succeed in the timeframe for YOUR body.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #4  
IP Start Date 5/13/13

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 5'7"

Thank you!!! I needed that. I am really committed to doing this and this program seems well designed for me - I like the structure of it and eliminating the guess work. At least the guess work is gone for food preparation - weight loss, well, that's another story!

I pumped myself up for a REALLY BIG first week, knowing that would be the motivation to keep me going, so I may have had high expectations. And my coach is a bit of a ditz brain. As best I can tell, she is someone who has used the program, who is personable and can talk to people. She doesn't seem that well educated on the program. I think I knew more than she did by just lurking on these boards for a little while. As she was measuring me, she told me my measurements "shifted" as if to suggest my bust was down but my thigh was up - HUH? Then she laughed and said maybe she hadn't measured me right. Grrrrrrr.

That coupled with the less than what I thought it would be number was bumming me out. But I just ate a HUGE salad and am drinking my water. All day long. I keep telling myself it is working, it is working. Soon, I will have a scale that proves it.
hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Hi, Hang in there! This diet does work. You have to trust it! Keep following it and you'll be at goal before you know it!!! PS Most of our coaches are like yours, which is why this board is so invaluable!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote