Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Couch to 5K Week 5 woes

I started Couch to 5K about five weeks ago, and I've really been enjoying it. Today, though, I realized something that's got me feeling pretty apprehensive. I did Week 5, Day 2 today, where I ran for eight minutes and walked for five minutes in between. I found it difficult enough to run for eight minutes straight, but then I realized that on Day 3, you're expected to run for 20 minutes!

HOLY CRAP.

Now, I realize that my "difficulty" today may have been due to the fact that I haven't done any runs in over a week (eight days, to be exact -- I've had family visiting from another province and the time just wasn't there.) But the idea of running for twenty minutes straight at this early stage just boggles me.

I'm thinking about repeating Day 2 before I take on the task of running for 20 minutes straight. Has anyone else found the huge jump in Week 5 difficult?
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #2  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

When I did C25K and was following the C25K group on facebook, everyone seemed to fear W5D3...and then were shocked and thrilled to discover that they were able to do it. So, my advice to you is to give it a try, and you might be surprised. If you can't, it's no biggie. Just keep trying until you can. Repeating days and/or weeks is common with C25K. Good luck!
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
I started Couch to 5K about five weeks ago, and I've really been enjoying it. Today, though, I realized something that's got me feeling pretty apprehensive. I did Week 5, Day 2 today, where I ran for eight minutes and walked for five minutes in between. I found it difficult enough to run for eight minutes straight, but then I realized that on Day 3, you're expected to run for 20 minutes!

HOLY CRAP.

Now, I realize that my "difficulty" today may have been due to the fact that I haven't done any runs in over a week (eight days, to be exact -- I've had family visiting from another province and the time just wasn't there.) But the idea of running for twenty minutes straight at this early stage just boggles me.

I'm thinking about repeating Day 2 before I take on the task of running for 20 minutes straight. Has anyone else found the huge jump in Week 5 difficult?

You're going to have good days and bad days. Some days you'll feel like you can go farther and then the next time you run it's hard to get a 1/4 mile.

No reason to worry about it--you'll get your stride back. The important thing is you're doing it. Consistency equals success.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #4  

The 20 minutes scared the beejeezus out of me!!

I just kept telling myself I can switch to walking if I have to, anytime I want to, just keep going until I can't anymore. Thank God the 20 minutes were up before I got to that point!

Don't be discouraged, the C25K is no easy training. But you are doing awesome. And repeat any days that you feel necessary, I think it's more common than not when that has to be done. You are looking to make yourself strong and run ready, not to win a contest in finishing the training (plus you don't want to hurt yourself!).

I'm on W8 and did D1 today. It's 28 minutes running and I can't believe I made it this far. It's a miracle!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

The jump to 20 mins was terrifying to me too! Just slow down and try your best. And if you don't quite make that 20 mins the first time, just keep trying until ya do!
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote