Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #1  
sun

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Default knee hurts

so I've been running for about 2 months. Just this last week my right knee starts to hurt. it hurts when i bend it. anyone have this before? I run for about half and hour every other day so not really a long distance runner yet. it's so aggravating because i feel like I have to stop so it can heal.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/186/160

Height: 5'7''

Does it hurt when you put pressure on it, is it a sharp stabbing hurt or an achy throbby hurt?

Are you wearing running specific shoes for your foot type?

I asked all these questions because depending on how you answer there could be a solution to your pain.

Sorry your knee hurts, but if you need to take more rest days then by all means do so before you get an injury that could really take you out of the game.
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #3  
sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticbliss View Post
Does it hurt when you put pressure on it, is it a sharp stabbing hurt or an achy throbby hurt?

Are you wearing running specific shoes for your foot type?

I asked all these questions because depending on how you answer there could be a solution to your pain.

Sorry your knee hurts, but if you need to take more rest days then by all means do so before you get an injury that could really take you out of the game.
It does hurt when I am initially putting pressure on it. Like when I get up from sitting for about few seconds and also when its bent and getting unbent.

I bought some shoes a couple years ago from a runners shop and the people working there watched me run and recommended them to me. I have walked a bit in them prior to this but they are not worn or anything. They look really good. Thanks for replying
Old 04-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #4  

Try paying attention to how you run. I hurt my IT band and ended up having to get physio on it. My physio told me to try and engage my butt muscles more A foam roller may also help to stretch it out afterwards.
asjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/186/160

Height: 5'7''

Something in your knee could be rubbing wrong, not very techincal, I know. Could be do to a lack of cushion or inflamation.

Even if it doesn't hurt all the time I would still R.I.C.E and plan on taking more rest days in between run days, and stretch, a lot, foam rolling could be good as well, I just ordered this thing called The Stick, it's the same concept as a foam roller but easier to use and store.

If it doesn't stop you might want to get it looked at, continuing knee pain isn't something you want to develop into a bigger problem.

Also, taking a supplement with msm, glucosamine and chondroitin wouldn't hurt and might help if it's an issue with fluid/connective tissue/joint lubrication

Good luck!
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #6  
sun

Thanks everyone! I will rest it and go from there. I don't stretch enough before running so I will be more diligent about that. If it comes back I will get it looked at. Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #7  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Even if they look good, your sneakers may be shot, too. I only run 3 miles 2-3 times a week, and my sneakers lasted less than a year. If rest and stretching doesn't help, it might be time to visit the running store again.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote