Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Height: 5'5"

Default Ugh...gaining SUCKS

I've recently upped my exercising quite a bit, specifically strength training, as I'm really starting to enjoy how I feel when I exercise.

I knew that I should expect a stall or even a little gain on the scale, which is what has happened over the past 5 days. Over the past 3 days, I've actually gained over a pound each day. Even though I expected it, and I know I'm not slowing my fat loss, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I hate it, but I hate even more that I'm p#ssed that if the number on the scale isn't going down, I get anxious. I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing, though: drinking lots of water, keeping on my calorie plan (about 1800/day), and staying away from flour and sugar.

I've noticed that I've been tempted to cut my calories down to 1500 or even 1400 because of the scale not moving, but I realize this would be totally counter productive, especially with my increased exercise.

Still - boo hiss.
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Been there, done that

Hugs
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #3  

You know you can't be gaining pounds unless you are eating over 3500 calories more than you burn and need a day!!!

If you are working out harder, I'd be hesitant to reduce your calories any more. Your body might be hungrier from all the extra efforts you are putting in.

Don't panic yet, the scale doesn't tell our whole story!!

You are getting healthier every day, don't stress out about this.

Last edited by elvislover324; 03-19-2013 at 03:21 PM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Don't drop your calories! If there is one regret I have it is that when I started I was in a unique postion (the same one you're in now) to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. It's the holy grail of weight lifting and the only people who can do it are people like you (fat novice lifters) or people who are on massive amounts of drugs.

If your goal is to see the number go down on the scale then by all means, stop lifting. In fact don't do any exercise at all.

If your goal is to look better, feel better, and improve your health than just continue the route you're on. The scale will reward you soon.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Thanks all, I'm going to just keep doing what I'm doing. It's amazing how you can get so focused on that one number moving down, and at the same time rationally tell yourself that's it's so much more than just that.
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/216/140

Height: 5'3"

I was just reading about a week ago how when we exercise, our bodies try to hold on to more water while healing itself. In turn, this can cause a false weight gain on the scale. Well, not really false, but it's water weight not fat. Sounds like you're doing excellent. Just be sure to get in some rest days too so your body can heal properly. You will probably be seeing a whoosh before you know it. Keep it up!
SweetAsCanBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #7  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

The scale (I call it the devil) does have such sway on us. Ooohhh will it reward me today? or be mean? Amazing how an inanimate object is so powerful. But we (you) are more powerful. Getting healthy and stronger is a much more powerful thing. Gaining muscle just burns that lovely fat faster I know that it bothers us... but just laugh at the scale and say... I know better and you will cooperate scale!!

You are doing great!!!

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 03-20-2013 at 08:22 AM.
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/162/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm here to just echo what everyone else has said. It does suck and its what has pulled me away from my focus too many times in the last 6 months. The scale is A tool in the toolbox of "getting healthy". I (we) all have many tools that work for US individually. But I think we can agree that one of the best (and most useful) is the support, advise, and "virtual" pats on the back that we get on this site.

Just KEEP ON KEEPIN ON.... and maybe just until your body gets used to the new routine you are giving it just standing on that evil scale just once a week...as someone else mentioned. Sorry...can't remember who said It but it was fabulous advise...
Plainsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

The scale is an evil thing. Why I'm not using it right now. I am trying to focus on fitness and eating right. Scale be darned. Though, I've been at this a LONG time, so I know what I'm doing better and have a better feel of what off plan and on plan is.

Just remember that the scale is just ONE tool and not a very good one.

I get bemused as I watch the scale do this.

Random numbers, but true pattern:

200, 200, 200, 200, 200, 200, 200, 200, 200, 201, 201.5, 201.5, 202, 203.5, 203.5, 203, 203, 203, 203, 202, 201, 200, 199, 198, 197, 196, 195, 195....

4 week cycle VERY typical for me AND it can be more extreme than that. That's if I lose 5 pounds for the month and not more. Truly, I'll lose a pound a day for like 10 days (first relosing the water weight gain and then the pounds for the month).

The scale shows it as not losing, gain, then man... I must be really working hard and starving myself. No... I've been consistent with exercise and eating for the entire 4 weeks. My body just has other things going on that don't allow those changes to show on the scale until it's ready.

Women have cycles, but it's not like men don't have hormones and processes too.

Two years ago my husband went on a fitness/weight loss thing too. He would stay the same for a month, and then in a week drop five pounds. Repeat for a month of stall, then 3 pounds in a week. So strange. He was going within a normal weight BMI to a lower weight BMI, so vanity pounds, essentially, but the body just doesn't give them up like you would think.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-20-2013 at 09:02 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote