Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/212

Height: 5'6

Default The Case of the Cow & the Chicken

So like many people on this site, this is not my first attempt at weight loss. It's not my second. It's not even my third.
Even though I'd written of these past attempts of as failures since I'd obviously didn't manage to stick to it, I was going through some old blog posts of mine when I realized something. I may have not managed to lose the weight the 1st around or the 2nd (or the 3rd!) but there was no reason to disregard the lessons I learned or my AHA! moments.
With that in mind, I wanted to re-post a particular piece from about 2 years ago (My most successful weight loss journey at least thus far) with the hope that it may help someone else from the 3FW family.

Saturday, March 26, 2011
Be the Cow

A quote from one of the first motivational posters I made when I started my journey nearly 3 months ago reads "There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results."
I instantly feel in love with this quote because I felt like it held the secret to this whole weight loss process. It's my desktop background and on my SP page so I see it multiple times a day but this morning when I turned on my laptop, I realized that it's been a couple of weeks since I've actually bothered to read/contemplate the quote that used to mean so much to me and when I did, I had a mini Eureka moment about what's been going wrong these past couple of weeks.
I had stopped being committed to myself and to this process and to this journey and that was NOT okay.
I owe it to myself to fully commit to losing weight and living a healthier and happier life.
I owe it to myself to stop making excuses.
I owe it to myself to take the time to make a plan of action.
I owe it to myself to be the cow.

A few years ago, I attended a seminar on successful living and one of the speakers presented the conundrum of interest vs. commitment via a case study of a steak and egg bagel.

In the process of making this sandwich, he explained, the chicken was interested and the cow was committed.
It was a quick and dirty analogy but it highlighted the key difference between interest and commitment. The latter requires sacrifice.
To be committed to this process means to accept that sacrifices will be made and I've been reluctant to part with the vestiges of my old life, even the parts that aren't so good for me.
So today, I'm making a commitment.
It would be so easy to hold off for a couple of days and re-commit at the beginning of a new month and just write March off but this process, this journey isn't about living from month to month. It's about everyday choices and actions that lead to a better life.
I have the power to make the most of the rest of the day and the rest of the month of March and I will.
So the theme of this week for me is commitment. Not just commitment to weight loss but commitment to my school work and to my overall well being and happiness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l406170666.jpg (11.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg l47012246.jpg (17.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by foreverfaye; 03-04-2013 at 06:40 PM.
foreverfaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Thank you for sharing, it is an excellent analogy. I tend to contrast motivation vs. commitment/dedication, but it means the exact same thing as what you touched on above. And I'm walking proof of the concept that commitment is key!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Good luck on your journey
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I think it is also important to acknowledge slip ups and use them as a way to improve rather than giving in to feelings of failure.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote