Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/213/140

Height: 5'5

Default When did your weight loss start to plateau?

Just wondering if anyone could share when they started to experience a plateau in their weight loss and what they did to get their weight loss started up again? As of now I've currently lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks and it feels amazing to FINALLY see some results after really putting the effort in losing weight this time around.

So far so good but I've read and heard stories about people not losing any weight for a few months... I'm just nervous for when the time comes that I start to see no weight loss at all...And how to handle it and get it back on track?
mellyymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I have never had a plateau in 2 years of doing this if I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing - eating right and working out.

Now, I have a weight loss cycle, so that for about 17 days a month i don't lose, and then for about 10 days I do lose (if I've earned the pounds lost with eating right and exercise).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #3  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Like berryblondeboys, I haven't experienced a true plateau (4-6 weeks or longer) as long as I stay on plan. However, I'm currently in the middle of a stall, where I haven't seen a change on the scale for about 10 days (I don't weigh every day though). But I know that weight loss isn't linear and it's not uncommon to have some small ups and downs, or a time where not much happens on the scale, hopefully to be followed by a whoosh, where you drop a larger than expected amount quickly.

But generally speaking, to break a plateau, the best thing is to shake things up - change calories, change up the specific foods you eat, increase activity level, change the specific activities you are doing. Most of the time, that will jumpstart things.

And worst case scenario, I plan to look at it as "practicing maintenance" if I have a time where I'm doing everything right and still not losing. Because keeping off whatever I've lost is my biggest battle.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'2.5"

I agree with both berryblondeboys and April snow. My body likes to lose all its weight for the month in 2 weeks, so the rest of the time I have to be patient and on plan...if I'm doing what I'm supposed to it will show up on the scale eventually. That being said I have had times where I've had to change things up (adjusting exercise once my body gets used to it and/or changing my calories). I tend to get frustrated when the scale doesn't show the progress as fast as I'd like, but I remember that this is a lifestyle change and the pounds didn't come on overnight so they certainly aren't coming off that quickly either.

I haven't ever really stalled for more than a month, I've at least lost something as long as I've been at least somewhat on plan. I try to eat between 1300-1500 calories a day, some days I go over, some days under but it all averages out. Even when I fell off the wagon last year, I stayed pretty much the same so even that small gain (4 lbs in 6ish months) I consider that I maintained.

Good luck and congrats on your loss already! Also another good measure is inches/clothing size. I find that even though the number on the scale isn't going down, my clothes are fitting better which shows progress so I don't lose hope/want to give up.
nu09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 301/287/240

Height: 5'7"

My body is the same way. I haven't lost weight in 2 weeks but know that next week I will start losing again (indirect tmi )
katrinakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #6  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I have only been really doing this weight loss again for about 12-13 weeks, I lose about 2+ lbs a week but from week 9-11 the scale seemed to freeze at 130, I just wanted to see 129 so bad but the scale was frozen on 130.4. I started noticing my calories were too low, so as scared as I was too I ate more, including more carbs. And dropped 4 lbs in about 5 days. I think I might have lost focus if I had a true plateau. I assume we all kinda slow down as we approach goal. Just try to stay focused on following what ever plan u are on, even if u plateau eventually you will start losing again I am sure!
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

I've been around the180s for 3 months meaning it took 3 months to lose 10lbs I'll consider it a plateau because the rate I loss dramatically slowed down.
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I've never plateaued in any of my weight loss efforts. My results seem to reflect my efforts pretty accurately. If I stall, it's because I've gone off plan for part of the time.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu09 View Post
My body likes to lose all its weight for the month in 2 weeks, so the rest of the time I have to be patient and on plan...if I'm doing what I'm supposed to it will show up on the scale eventually.
Hey me too! I actually track it by my menstrual cycle, I even know which day in my cycle is my lowest weight day (day 21 in case anyone cares lol). So I'm thinking my fluctuations and weight loss has a LOT to do with the way my hormones run my body during the month.

As for plateau, I had a plateau the last time I officially lost a bunch of weight. I broke through by doing a 30-day hot yoga challenge.
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

I seem to have a very small window for loss. That is, I lose at 1300 cals, I don't at 1450. So when I thought I was hitting a road block I was really eating too much, even though it was only 150 cals.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 297/257/155

Height: 5'6.5"

2 years ago I went from 260-ish to 219 with no problem, then I stayed at 219 for about 7 weeks. I tried to exercise more, I cycled my calories, I kept trying to break it but eventually I quit and regained everything in a year. I need a plan in case the same thing ever happens to me again. Something to keep me from giving up completely and going back to old eating habits.
Lindifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

I was doing great for a long time... but now have totally plateaud for a couple of months in spite of the fact that I am doing things right. Eventually it has to break!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #13  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Wow! This thread is SOOOO interesting! I love reading about people's weight loss cycles and how their body has patterns to weight loss! I can't wait to build a relationship like that with my body!!

lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/168/125

Height: 5'3.5"

In the past my plateaus always happen when I get to around 145 pounds. Always! The scale just won't budge and in the past, I've let that derail my weight loss efforts every single time.

This time, however, I do have a plan and it's pretty much what everyone says to do - change change change! I'll change up my calories, my workout routine, and even the actual foods I eat (try to eat as "clean" as possible for a while).
oshka77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/213/140

Height: 5'5

I feel like if I don't exercise EVERY DAY I start to see little to no change... but when I do exercise every day I see faster results... Does this happen to anyone else?

Also, I just started using resistance bands to tone my arms... Could this be a reason I'm not seeing the scale going down as much as before?
mellyymel is offline   Reply With Quote