South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Veggie Adventures: Cauliflower

There were a lot of responses to my brussels sprouts thread last week, and it reminded me that someone (Schatzi?) used to do a weekly vegetable post. If you are new to cooking and eating a lot of veg, it can be difficult to get all of your servings in, especially in the winter. So, can we talk cauliflower this week, and help inspire each other to eat our veggies?

Cauliflower is one of the very important cruciferous veggies, and a one cup serving of raw cauli has 85% of your RDA of vitamin C. It is also available fresh year-round and extremely versatile, as SB Diet helped me to discover. It can replace rice or potatoes, and has a creamy texture when pureed. Here are my favorite ways to eat cauliflower:

Raw: Even as a veggie-hating kid, I loved raw cauliflower as a snack. I used to take it to school, and my 3rd grade teacher would steal half. It still makes my mother angry when I mention this! Dip it in ranch, hummus, throw it in salads, or just enjoy it plain.

Steamed: This is an old-fashioned way of cooking cauliflower, but I love it. I steam a whole head in a big pot, let it cool, and pour some vinaigrette over, sometimes with a sprinkle of Parmesan. DH loves it too, but my kids won't go near it – too stinky!

Roasted: Like many veggies, cauli is delicious roasted. Here is one recipe: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/side...n-phase-i.html This works out best if you make all your pieces about the same size. You can vary the spices, but I love it with a good curry mix. Make a LOT because it shrinks!

Stir-fried: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/side...ried-rice.html This recipe is one of my favorites. It's a bit of work, but well worth the effort. If you didn't know the “rice” was cauliflower, you'd never guess! My family loves fried rice, so when I make it for them, I usually make this version for me and DH. And don't tell the kids, but I also sneak some of the cauliflower rice into theirs.

Pureed: Cauliflower mash is a South Beach classic, from the first South Beach Diet book. Always a hit. I also love the Alfredo sauce made with the puree. It's delicious and decadent tasting over ww pasta, but my favorite way is to mix it with cooked spinach for “creamed” spinach. I haven't made this in a while, and I'm hoping someone (Cyndi?) can help find the recipe. I used to cook several heads at once, puree it, and freeze it in half-cup portions, so I could make this quickly anytime. I also sneak the puree cubes into things my kids would never suspect – just be careful not to go overboard, as it does have a strong taste.

Cheesy: Cauliflower and cheese are a match made in heaven. I made cauliflower pizza bites recently (similar to cauliflower-crusted pizza) http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entr...zza-crust.html, with some mozzarella and turkey pepperoni and they were great, as were these cheesy cauliflower pancakes: http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com/20...-pancakes.html. Kalyn posted a ham and cauliflower gratin recipe recently, and I think several of us have tried it and liked it.

I found cauliflowers on sale yesterday for $1/head, and bought 4, which prompted me to pull out my cauliflower recipes, so I thought I'd share.
What are your favorite ways to eat cauliflower? Got any good recipes to share?
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

$1 each!?! That's awesome!

I'm not a huge cauliflower fan, but this recipe is converting me over: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/01...uliflower.html. I've made it twice in the last couple weeks, and enjoy having it as leftovers. I make it without ham, so that it's a side dish.

I have another head of cauliflower in there, maybe I'll get adventurous with this one?
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

We love cauliflower. It would be on the menu every night at that price. That's a great list to get started.

I love the cauliflower alfredo and make creamed spinach with it. I use cauliflower in soups and stews where I would have used potato in the past.
There's also the vegetarian white chili, not very chili-like IMO but tasty. I made it for a group of non-vegetarians last summer and it was quite a hit. Even the (picky) kids ate some. Kalyn's Christmas Cauliflower is a pretty, fun side dish if you need something decorative and tasty.

I have to admit my favorite way to make it is just to roast it with some good garlic powder and salt. We can demolish a whole head as a side dish.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #4  

would this work.???? .Buffalo Roasted Cauliflower

http://www.closetcooking.com/2013/01...uliflower.html
crenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Thank you! The recipe I found used flour for dipping the cauli and more oil. I am so making this one for movie night!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

I am NOT a big cauliflower fan and can't stand it raw, but I have tried the mashed faux-tatoes and they were good (I added cheese, turkey bacon, and green onions to make them "loaded"). The buffalo cauliflower looks REALLY good...and I like the idead of making creamed spinach using the alfredo sauce recipe b/c I <3 creamed spinach and had just learned how to make it (using flour, of course) before I started SBD.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 313/215/175

Height: 5'7"

1.00 each!!!!! oh my, I bought 4 heads at 3.00 each. We just started eating mashed cauliflower, and I am addicted to it!!!!!
GinnyCarinhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Shmoodle where did of find cauliflower for $1????? It is always over $3 here. I am learning I do like cauliflower.

Just looked at the buffalo cauliflower, looks like I know what I'll be eating Sunday!!

Last edited by jekel383; 01-27-2013 at 09:25 PM.
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #9  

I love cauliflower!
Raw in salads for added crunch, or dipped in ranch

The cauliflower mash is great, especially if you mix in some herb & garlic cream cheese (or laughing Cow).... I use any left overs to make 'twice baked caulifower'

I enjoy them roasted and tossed in Franks hot sauce

also steamed with rf cheddar.

Finally, since its quite cold up here at this time of year, I like to make cauliflower and cheddar soup.
RiverGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 307/294/160

I know this is a cauliflower thread but how do you make creamed spinach?
paydaymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Cauliflower is a favorite at my house, and I've made most of the recipes mentioned here, but another favorite way to prepare it is to make Karfiolleves-Paprika-Spiced-Cauliflower Soup, that I posted in our Phase 2 Soups & Stews recipes.

Another simple soup is to soften a chopped onion in a little Smart Balance margarine, add a head of chopped cauliflower, and enough vegetable or chicken broth to cover it. Then let it cook until the cauliflower is soft, and use your immersion blender to puree it. I like to add a can of drained white beans to the soup before pureeing, too, to add extra fiber. Season as desired.

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 01-28-2013 at 07:10 AM.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paydaymom View Post
I've never made creamed spinach so I cant answer your question. However I dont think its SBD acceptable, since most recipes for it use heavy cream and all purpose flour.

Perhaps someone else here may have stumbled across a beachified version of it.
RiverGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #13  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paydaymom View Post
The version I make is ridiculously easy - just spinach (frozen, or fresh spinach that has been steamed and chopped up a little) plus Laughing Cow light cheese wedges, heated in a pan or in the microwave until the cheese melts. No real recipe - just add as many as you want for desired creaminess - I find 1 or 2 per (large) serving works for me. Sometimes I will add garlic or onion but most of the time I just use the processed cheese wedges and it is delicious. My very non-Beachy husband requests this recipe all the time...
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #14  
Working on healthy

I like to combine the cauliflower alfredo and spinach. Not sure how authentic it is but it tastes like the sort of comfort food I used to eat without all the stuff I don't need.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #15  

S/C/G: maintaining

Love this idea - veggie threads!

I just made the cauliflower popcorn recently. Even DH likes the mashed version but I can't remember the last time I made it. I've done it as "rice" which is good as long as I am not thinking it will taste like rice. I'll eat a huge serving that way under something saucy. I wish I liked the pizza crust but have tried it several times with no success.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote