Old 12-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #1  
Still Chubby

S/C/G: 79.8/72.5/66kg

Height: 172cm

Question buying 'goal' clothes - good or bad idea?

What are your feelings on buying clothes in smaller sizes? Sizes that do not yet fit? I'm not talking about a wardrobe, just a dress or a pair of jeans.

I am considering buying a cute dress in a size 8. I'm currently a size 12/14 depending, and it got me thinking. Would it be something to aspire to or a reminder of how far I am from my goal?

I realize that saying 30lbs is soooooo far from goal may sound completely out of touch with reality, but for me...I've been overweight for my entire life, with my high weight of 200lbs and for some reason a really large 200lbs. I'm still a large, squishy, very out of shape 170lbs now. I've had these 30lbs to lose for years and haven't made it happen. So I've built it up as this impossible thing. Which is obviously bull****.

My point: Do you buy 'goal' clothes? What do you do to keep yourself motivated/inspired?

Last edited by tinneranne2; 12-24-2012 at 01:29 AM.
tinneranne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/*see ticker*/130

Height: 5'4"

i've done that before.... and i've never actually gotten to wear those clothes because i always gave up before i reached the goal.

for some people, it works, for others, it doesn't. if you think it'd be good motivation for you then, by all means, do it.

i still have all those "smaller"clothes in the back of my closet... maybe this time around i'll be able to wear them! lol.
KawaiiCandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:51 AM   #3  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

It feels kinda punishing to me, so I avoid it. I do however buy clothes that are tight but zippable so that a) they last longer, b) they give me tactile feedback that I'm still working on being smaller and c) when I do lose a few pounds I can really notice the difference because the pants become comfier!
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/165/132

Height: 5'8"

I can't help myself doing it sometimes, and have a few pieces in my wardrobe that still don't fit me. So far it hasn't done me any good, but I guess it could be a good incentive for you.. It's just such a shame if you never get to wear them, or if you end up not liking the clothes as much when you finally do fit into them. :-)
runthecontinent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'd argue against it, but only because you really have no idea how your shape can change. The style that looks good on you now may not be the style that flatters your new shape. Going down one size usually doesn't present this problem; so if something is a little tight for example, it makes sense to buy it if you're losing weight. I don't wear the same styles as I did when I was heavier because my body shape is different and has different style needs than my heavier body did.

Of course there's also the possibility that you'll end up a different size than planned. At the end of Summer 2011, I bought a bunch of summer clothes on clearance in a size 6. I thought that would be the smallest I would get. Summer of 2012 I was wearing a 0/2, so those clothes were far too large on me.

In your case, size 8 isn't all that far off from 12/14, so if you get a good deal on an item it might be worth picking something up. Spending a lot of money (unless you have a lot of money lying around) may not be the best idea—while you may fit into the dress later on, it might not look good on you!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #6  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

I don't...but then again I also have issues buying clothes online because I'm uncomfortable getting things that I haven't gotten the chance to try on.

I probably wouldn't recommend a dress if you choose to do buy some, though. Your shape can change a lot in 30 lbs, and maybe the cuts that flatter your frame now won't fit as well when you've reached a smaller size.
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #7  

Height: 5'1

I've thought about getting something in my goal size of a UK 8 (US 4) for a long time. Something not too expensive, like yourself, a pair of jeans for example. I'm going shopping this Saturday actually to get some clothes because my clothes are too big for me now, I need to pick up some things to keep me going for the next few months. I might try pick up a pair of jeans in an 8! Keep them in the wardrobe to keep me motivated! I have to agree with what others have said about not knowing your shape at your goal size so buying something like a dress might not be the best idea. Also, it is actually something I suggested to a friend that has started to lose weight to help her keep on going. She said she was thinking about it also. I guess people keep motivated by many different things - this is just one.
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #8  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

I don't because shape matters sooooo much as you lose weight. Some styles just do not look flattering on my shape, especially as my curves become more prominent as I lose the weight. The only thing I go by is an old pair of size 12 skinny jeans that flattered my shape and were a bit loose when I was able to wear them before. So those are my goal 'pants.'
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Bad idea. They may not fit as well as you think or look as good as you think they will.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/235.6/150

Height: 5'5

It's not a good idea, just because you don't know how clothes will fit you when you do reach your goal weight.
ubercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

I have a very cheap pair of mini-goal jeans from forever21 ($4.50!!!). They help me track my long term progress, although a measuring tape would do the same thing obviously.
If I never fit them or they go out of style (which is very possible) I won't really care. They're nothing special to begin with.

I wouldn't buy anything expensive as a goal item... or anything that's more than 1 size too small.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #12  
1500 Max!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/119

Height: 5'6"

I agree with people who say that you don't know what size and shape you will be when you lose weight. So unless you have a lot of disposable income then don't buy loads of stuff. But from the sounds of it you just want one dress? I bought a pair of jeans in size 14 (US size 10) and they almost fit now so that is very motivational. If it is just one item then I think it can be a great measure of whether you have lost size as well as weight. Do it if you would like to and it is only one thing. Look at it before you have an extra slice of cake or whatever and I think it could do you the world of good with making healthy decisions.
LucyOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #13  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Goodwill is PERFECT for this! Don't spend too much money on clothes that may not well-fit your shape later on - but putting a couple bucks into a benchmark has worked well for me.

I bought some way-too-tiny goal clothes at Goodwill a few years ago for a few dollars. Between that and a few too-small-clothes of other origins, I've been toting around a (small) box of "maybe these will fit when I'm done losing weight." It's been helpful to try them on every 5-10 lbs or so to gauge my progress.

What was more fun was trying all of them on a couple days ago, and finding that ALL my "goal" clothes FIT now (and I have plenty left to lose). Pretty exciting! Definitely worth the $5 or so I spent. I want to go back to Goodwill now and pick up another too-small pair of pants, because I've lost my benchmarks...
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 265/237/170

Height: 5.75

I used to do that...and I held on to those clothes for years...and it was only this year and making progress with myself...(no i can't fit them) but I garnered the strength to throw them away and be realistic with myself because the sizes I had purchased are significantly further away and they aren't even in style anymore (LOL) so....I tossed them and accepted myself a little bit more in the progress. To me, its a really thin line between loving yourself enough to be honest about what you are dealing with and still being willing to clothe yourself in nice attractive clothing no matter your size, and hating yourself and buying too small clothes while dressing in oversized sloppy jeans and a hoodie/sweatshirt or whatever...
beachbella85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #15  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I think shopping for general casual clothes that don't fit you isn't healthy. Sure, it's a good goal motivator, but there's nothing like looking at some awesome clothes that you just want to wear NOW and feel bummed out because you can't. My Mum has LOADS of clothes lying around in storage for her to fit into one day. But she's never actually worn many of them yet.

I would suggest 1 item of clothing to fit into, something that's a staple. Some people use jeans, personally I have a dress that I bought that I want to fit into some day. It was never a "I'm going to buy this purposefully small" it was the last one in the shop and it happened to be about 2 sizes too small for me. But I love it even though I've never worn it and one day I would love to see myself in it!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote