Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default I will not eat the Oreos five feet behind me...

I am in grad school right now and there are tons of treats--including one of my weaknesses! This is like quitting smoking was. I can't get the Oreos off my mind and they are in visual range!

Argh!

Help.
Ferny1730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #2  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Do they belong to you or someone else? If they're yours, throw them out! If someone else, ask them to put them away
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #3  

It is class treat day, so there is a treat buffet! I can't ask the whole class to put them away. I have my back to them, but people are chomping all around me.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #4  
Just Keep on Running

S/C/G: 178/142.6/120

Height: 5'6.5

Lately, when I'm in situations where I feel very tempted or a craving comes on, I try to just eat the serving size and then I'm usually okay. It doesn't always work but it has been working more often than not. Maybe you should try the same thing?

Last edited by energie; 11-28-2012 at 10:26 PM.
energie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/140/115

Height: 5'0 TALL

What I do in that kind of situation is that I eat the Oreos but not swallow it. Just chew on it and savor the taste then spit it out (not vomit ok lol). Turns out I really didn't want to consume it, I just wanted to taste it because my brain's like "remember the texture? The sweetness? Do it!" If I deprive myself of the taste, my brain's going to keep screaming at me to eat it.
Nayshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/213/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm gonna have to completely agree with energie. Because when I completely try to avoid something, it becomes a monster. A loud, hungry, beast mode monster. If the feeling didn't go away after 30 minutes, then I would grab two (2) and eat them verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly. Then I'd be able to tell myself that I already ate Oreos so I'm okay.

Your thread title definitely made me laugh.
Learning 2 Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #7  

Well, I made it through. Normally I would have tried to have two Oreos, even though I have never been able to do that before. I think four would be the smallest amount I could eat and be satisfied.

I made it through by going to make some spicy tea that would have tasted terrible with Oreos. I made Ginger tea. It worked for me and took away the craving.

Plus writing on here when the Oreos were talking to me helped quite a bit. Thanks everyone! A success for today!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

That's like some twisted nightmare! I sure can identify.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Well, tell yourself the truth. The food is NOT that tasty, it's all sugar and modified food starch and hydrogenated grease. It is NOT worth the calories, it's NOT going to get you to your goal, it is NOT going to improve your health in any way.

You've had Oreos before. Think of the memory of the food, remember eating one, vividly, bite by bite. Mentally 'chew' the food. Do it as many times as it takes to feel satisfied. Oftentimes by the end of that exercise most folks discover they wanted the memory of the food, not the food, itself, and it isn't actually as good as the initial impulse claims.

I'm all about enjoying good food when hungry, but that is NOT good food. It's complete junk that eats up your daily calories while leaving you hungrier than they found you. If it's worth it, buy a snack pack of them and eat them at home. But just giving into the impulse because it's there, on a plate? That's letting your emotions rule, not your brain.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #10  
Back with a story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferny1730 View Post
Well, I made it through. Normally I would have tried to have two Oreos, even though I have never been able to do that before. I think four would be the smallest amount I could eat and be satisfied.

I made it through by going to make some spicy tea that would have tasted terrible with Oreos. I made Ginger tea. It worked for me and took away the craving.

Plus writing on here when the Oreos were talking to me helped quite a bit. Thanks everyone! A success for today!
Good for you! That feeling of victory is better than any greasy Oreo. And I say this as someone who formerly binged on them!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #11  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Well, tell yourself the truth. The food is NOT that tasty, it's all sugar and modified food starch and hydrogenated grease.
I just have to throw this out there, I know Oreos aren't healthy in the slightest, but I personally think they are quite delicious and they always put a smile on my face when I eat them. Maybe thats cause I don't eat them very often anymore. XD
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Taryl--May I say that you are so smart? I agree with Mimsyborogoves that Oreos are totally delicious, but you are right that they are not good food. Where were you at lunch time as I was fighting off my crazy craving for the golden arches? The Greek salad won, but it would have helped for you to have broken it down in plan English for me.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #13  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

I do the old spitaroo trick as well taking a bite of something chew it up getting the taste and then spitting it out in the garbage haha I find after I taste it like that I'm done with my craving. Might help. May be hard in the middle of class but I dunno lol

Last edited by going2bskinny; 11-29-2012 at 01:36 AM.
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #14  
Back with a story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post
Taryl--May I say that you are so smart? I agree with Mimsyborogoves that Oreos are totally delicious, but you are right that they are not good food. Where were you at lunch time as I was fighting off my crazy craving for the golden arches? The Greek salad won, but it would have helped for you to have broken it down in plan English for me.
I've had those moments, they can be tough. I do my best just telling myself the truth - I'm picky! If I'm going to eat something that is pure pleasure and not nutrition, it is going to be GOOD. Like, if it isn't a 9 or 10 on my personal yum scale, it hasn't earned the privilege of being consumed by me! An artisan dark chocolate qualifies. Some cakes and pies made by certain people on holidays qualify. Sugar in a balsamic reduction over crispy duck? Heck yes!

Greasy snack food that makes me sick on every level, including cellular? NOT worth it. When I take the snob tactic with myself and remind myself that my goals worth more than a cheap food thrill, the desire is defused big time.

Lauren - if Oreos are that 9 or 10 for you, then go for it! But as much as I'd love to eat them, they just don't make the grade. Thus, I'm good passing them up in favor of losing more and eating better. And WHEN I come across those 9 or 10 foods, when I'm in labor (I don't impose dietary restrictions on myself while giving birth or in the day postpartum) or closer to maintenance, I will have a slow, decadent sliver of them. But before that? I've got bigger fish to fry and more important priorities on my personal list
Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #15  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
I've had those moments, they can be tough. I do my best just telling myself the truth - I'm picky! If I'm going to eat something that is pure pleasure and not nutrition, it is going to be GOOD. Like, if it isn't a 9 or 10 on my personal yum scale, it hasn't earned the privilege of being consumed by me! An artisan dark chocolate qualifies. Some cakes and pies made by certain people on holidays qualify. Sugar in a balsamic reduction over crispy duck? Heck yes!

Greasy snack food that makes me sick on every level, including cellular? NOT worth it. When I take the snob tactic with myself and remind myself that my goals worth more than a cheap food thrill, the desire is defused big time.

Lauren - if Oreos are that 9 or 10 for you, then go for it! But as much as I'd love to eat them, they just don't make the grade. Thus, I'm good passing them up in favor of losing more and eating better. And WHEN I come across those 9 or 10 foods, when I'm in labor (I don't impose dietary restrictions on myself while giving birth or in the day postpartum) or closer to maintenance, I will have a slow, decadent sliver of them. But before that? I've got bigger fish to fry and more important priorities on my personal list
Grrrll don'tchoo be dissin' my oreos now! No, really, I was just messin' with ya, haha. Different strokes for different folks; if its better for you to be all "Oreos are disgusting!" then hey, I'm all for it. I wouldn't eat them (or any other food like that) either if they made me sick; then it wouldn't be that pleasant of an experience! Fried chicken is now my "ew gross" food -- yeah it might taste good for a short period of time but the aftermath from eating it is yucky!! I'd rather just not eat it then have my insides all twisted up. Just not worth it!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote