General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Ex-boyfriend & Car

While my boyfriend and I were together, I got into a car accident and I couldn't afford to fix my vehicle. We came to a win/win situation where he would give me his car, seeing as he lost his license and the vehicle was sitting and rotting in a paid parking space. It took about $1000 dollars to get the car back on the road, it had busted tires, a bees nest and a dead mouse in the air intake. We split this cost.

After the vehicle was up and running, it became my responsibility and I was the only one driving it. It was insured by me. I paid (mostly) for gas. I paid for any repairs/oil changes needed. Did I mention that I acted as his personal chauffer, getting him from place to place that he would have otherwise paid a taxi for? The things you do for "love". Things went south with this guy, and I moved out, but still kept possession of the car. I kept waiting for him to address it, but he never really pressed the issue.

While we were together, I had the car for about a year and a half. It has been 3 years since we broke up, so I estimate this car being in my care for about 4 1/2 years now. Just today I get a message from him out of the blue, that he is moving out of state and he wants to either sell the car or have me buy it from him. I'm sorry..but I feel like he has nothing to "sell" to me. The vehicle was paid for long before it was in my name, and when I became in possession of it..it was just rotting away in a parking lot! My using of the car actually saved him from a $30 monthly fee of a parking space! Times that by 4 1/2 years, had I not taken the vehicle.

I feel justified not selling this vehicle, nor "buying" it from him. It's already been bought! -- with my cash to get it running and keep it running. It was beneficial for him while we were together, because I drove him to opposite ends of the state. It's beneficial for him NOW, because he no longer is accruing that monthly fee, and he doesn't have to deal with the headache and cost of fixing it and selling it.

Am I crazy? Is he? Thanks guys..
Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

I think you are crazy. Isn't the title still in his name, even if you are insuring it? You should just give him some money to officially get him to transfer the title - whatever the car was worth before you fixed it up and whatever money he put into fixing it up. It probably isn't much money.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #3  

The title was put into my name when I came into possession of the car.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

With the title yours, you definitely have a better case for not paying him. I still think the right thing to do would be to compensate him reasonably for what he gave you - even just go-away money. But it's really late for him to be asking you for any money. I think what matters is what transpired between you when he gave you the car, not how much money you've spent maintaining and using it since then. How much is he asking for? What was the car worth? Was it explicitly a gift? Were your chauffeur services what you agreed upon as compensation for transferring ownership? Did you discuss you paying him a bit of money for it at the time? Just some things to think about.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #5  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

from your first post, I was going to say it sounds unfair but the car is his. however, you clarified that you have the title under your name. So....it basically sounds like it is yours then. Should you pay him anything? **** no. He essentially gave it to you (it's in your name, and he hasn't asked for anything for 4.5 years). It sounds like he's probably low on cash and needs money, hence why he is hitting you up.

if the title is under BOTH of your names because it is joint, then you're in a pickle

Last edited by kisskiss; 11-14-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

You're not crazy, it's totally justified that you believe the car isn't his. Even more so, if the title is in your name, there's really nothing he can do. It sounds like a sad attempt for more money. Legally, the car is yours. Ignore his message and keep living your life. If he wants the car back, ask him to pay reimburse you for all the money you put into it.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I do have to say I think you are in the wrong, but not entirely.

This is what I suggest: Get a blue book value on the car. Deduct the amount you have put into REPAIRS on the car, but not on general upkeep (oil changes, etc) because that doesn't count. Make him an offer for the blue book value less the repairs you've put into the car. Or, let him sell the car and consider that it was actually a pretty cheap rental car- you paid $1000 in repairs plus the upkeep. So if you got a $30 oil change every 3 months like you should, and paid $1000 in repair costs, this vehicle cost you $28.51 in rental charges a month. You couldn't buy one for that.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #8  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

I think Eagle River Dee gave you really fair good suggestions.
What was your intentions when posting this did you want people to agree with you or we're you looking for different prospectives.
I would want to be able to look back years later and know I did what was fair and equitable.
We are judged by our principles and character and how we deal fairly with someone.
Only the two of you know what was truly agreed upon .
This is an old car is it worth all the bad feelings that are now attached to it?
Don't you want to cut ties to the past?
Talk to your Ex and hash it out.
I personally would never want anything that was begrudged to me.
I hope you don't find this offensive I believe in giving honest responses.
Good luck ,Roo2
Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #9  
Foodie For Life

S/C/G: 192/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

If the title is in your name, I'm a little unsure what kind of response you were looking for? Of course, legally, the car is yours... And if you don't feel it necessary to compensate him for the vehicle than you have no obligation to at this point.

However, the fact that it was given to you while you were in a relationship makes it a sticky (moral) situation. You were basically handed the vehicle because you were in a relationship with this guy. I highly doubt that he would have given the vehicle to just anybody or a stranger off the street. He did it because you two were together and although you made a lengthy list of all the things you did to cover his butt, it seems you've forgotten that he helped YOU out of a bad situation by giving you a vehicle when you couldn't afford to repair yours. Personally, since the relationship dissolved, I would feel it necessary to compensate him monetarily at least for the blue book value (minus upkeep costs) as an above poster said. It's almost like two people who get engaged and the marriage never happens and the girl keeps the ring. I personally think it's wrong. It was given under the pretense that two people were going to stick things out together forever and it never happened... Therefore the ring should be returned. Well that's another rant all together... But I think you get where I'm going with this.

Last edited by NolaMama; 11-14-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Technically the car is yours.

However based on your story the car is his and he has been very nice to let you use it for the last three years. I find it outrageous that you think otherwise.

You can do the right thing and buy it or you can give it back and get your own car.

The end.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 234/205/185

Height: 5'10"

Are you sure it's the title not just the registration in your name? If it is the title and registration the car is yours. Tell him to take you to court or leave you alone. Keep a log if he keeps bothering you and file a police report if he starts to stalk you and get a restraining order if needed.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 317/292/150

Height: 5'3 ½

I think you are both crazy. You're crazy for assuming that making repairs on something makes it yours. I could make repairs on my apartment while living in it, doesn't make it mine. He is crazy for signing the title over to you.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/146/135

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I do have to say I think you are in the wrong, but not entirely.

This is what I suggest: Get a blue book value on the car. Deduct the amount you have put into REPAIRS on the car, but not on general upkeep (oil changes, etc) because that doesn't count. Make him an offer for the blue book value less the repairs you've put into the car. Or, let him sell the car and consider that it was actually a pretty cheap rental car- you paid $1000 in repairs plus the upkeep. So if you got a $30 oil change every 3 months like you should, and paid $1000 in repair costs, this vehicle cost you $28.51 in rental charges a month. You couldn't buy one for that.
I would agree with this whole heartedly if he had come to you in a reasonable amount of time. You coild still do that if you wanted to be a mensch and avoid drama. Do I think you are obligated to? No. He's abandoned the car for THREE YEARS! Not a reasonable amount of time! He might as well have shown up 50 years from now at your retirement home. What if you had wrecked it or given it away or moved or got hit by a bus?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #14  

I made this post just because I wanted opinions..I'm not really sure actually. I was just shocked by him coming out of the woodwork and this was my way to vent.

I mean honestly..if this car was meant to be a 'while we were in a relationship only' thing, why wouldn't he have pursued it in the 3+ years we've been apart? Clearly wasn't that important, I guess?

I gotta be real guys, I'm not really concerned about doing the right thing. He never was.

I suppose this was a silly post. Carry on... :P
Closed Thread