Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/217/145

Height: 5'6"

Default I think swimming DOES help, but not everyone agrees

So, I've been thinking of going to the pool for a LONG time now and finally got around to it this week. I was very excited and thought I could go every morning after I drop kiddos off at school. I went on Friday and again on Monday. I was sore on Friday night and more sore on Monday night. While I was there yesterday an aerobics teacher said that if I were thin and muscular, then swimming would help me burn calories and lose weight. But because I'm "fat" - it really won't do me much good. I was sort of floored that she said that. I was taking "steps" in the water - and I've always heard taking steps in water has resistances (duh) - so it is harder to walk in water. I like to get in my 10,000 steps a day and I'm sorry, but I count walking in water in those steps. They even make water proof pedometers! Swimming works all of my muscles - my arms, back, legs, etc. I am too young to have joint pain and arthritis, but I do have it - and it gets worse all the time. The water is kind to my joints. I did SQUATS in the shallow end - felt SO easy in the water compared to in the gym, and the backs of my thighs are on fire today. Yes, you could say this is a vent - sorry. I was just sad that an aerobics teacher told me that me being in water won't help me much. I know differently.
chickadee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

It's sad that anyone working in fitness would discount quality exercise - but I think "teacher/instructor" is used loosely in many instances in regards to fitness/activity because sometimes there is no education required to do so.

GREAT JOB and keep up the good work!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

The only reason I can think of that she might have said that is because when people swim, it can stimulate their appetite, but that's not true for everyone. As long as you're not increasing your calories beyond what you would normally have when you're working out then it's a great option! Also, does Michael Phelps look fat to you? That is just ridiculous that she would say that to you. However, why not use this as motivation to prove her wrong? Make her reassess her statements!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #4  

Luckymommy - I will be sure to prove her wrong! I will continue to go and continue to build my endurance, 3 laps one day, 4 laps the next - and every day I will walk, tread water, do squats, etc. I am on a new mission! Nationalparker - I think you are right - I have no idea how much training she has had - and she herself is overweight. I know she has worked there for years but if she is overweight (same size as I am) - then clearly she isn't doing what's right to lose weight. So I won't listen to her
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

She's got an invested interest in keeping you out of the pool and in her classes- but, of course swimming is good exercise.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #6  
Warrior Princess

I used to be a competitive swimmer so I can say with 100% certainty that once you work your way up to swimming laps the weight will fall off.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #7  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Gee. My scale must be lying to me. I could wear that I've lost 60lbs (and found some muscle in my shoulders) swimming 5 times a week.

Don't listen. Swim. Any activity is good.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #8  

novangel - thanks for making me believe the weight will come off. I don't know how long it will take me to build up to "laps" - But I am trying.
Radiojane - wow, congrats! 60 pounds gone by swimming 5 days week!! WOW, I'm so happy for you!!! Do you mind telling me how it went for you when you first started? And how you worked you way up to where you are now? Right now I can swim one lap, stop and catch my breath then do another. I can't swim one lap and turn around and do my 2nd lap just yet. But I stay in the pool for 2 hours. Sometimes marching in place, or treading water, swimming on my side or back, and the normal freestyle stroke. But I'm such a newbie to swimming. Can't believe how much my legs hurt from doing squats in the water!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #9  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

Want me to come and sit on her while you work out in the pool? I'd totally do that for you.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

She's full of you know what. When I first started on this journey the only exercise I could do at was in the warm water pool (and getting dressed and undressed took more energy than the water exercise).

Every step (or splash) helps. Can you swim and not lose weight - of course. All you have to do is eat back the calories you burn, and that's not hard to do. But even if you do eat the calories back and don't lose, you still will build strength and endurance, which will help you in so many ways, whether or not you lose any weight at all.

And if you're also controlling your calorie intake, you will lose weight. How much does any particular exercise contribute to the speed and amount of weight loss - who the heck cares?

Find ways to burn calories that you enjoy, because if you enjoy it, you'll stick with it.

I can do a lot more in the water than I can on land. I can also spend a tremendously greater amount of time in the water before feeling worn out. So I can burn a lot more calories in the water than I can anywhere else in the gym, if only because I exert myself harder without feeling I'm going to pass out or overheat.

For me overheating is a huge issue. When on an eliptical machine or even just walking laps, I have to be careful not to push myself too hard I can push myself into an asthma attack or I'll overheat. I'll pour sweat, turn bright fuschia, and feel like I'm going to pas out.

That doesn't happen in the water. I can really work to my limit without any ill effects. Even if I do feel myself pushing myself too hard, I can just ease up and tread water lazily until I feel ok again.

It's amazing what ridiculousness comes out of the mouths of people who should know better (especially when it's their job to know better).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 196/146/135

Height: 5'5

I feel super hungry after swimming, but who can deny it burns calories?! As long as I have something filling but not super high calorie after, like eggs, it's all good.
Clumsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #12  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee2 View Post
novangel - thanks for making me believe the weight will come off. I don't know how long it will take me to build up to "laps" - But I am trying.
Radiojane - wow, congrats! 60 pounds gone by swimming 5 days week!! WOW, I'm so happy for you!!! Do you mind telling me how it went for you when you first started? And how you worked you way up to where you are now? Right now I can swim one lap, stop and catch my breath then do another. I can't swim one lap and turn around and do my 2nd lap just yet. But I stay in the pool for 2 hours. Sometimes marching in place, or treading water, swimming on my side or back, and the normal freestyle stroke. But I'm such a newbie to swimming. Can't believe how much my legs hurt from doing squats in the water!

I should qualify that I'm also low cal/primal and work very hard at my diet, and I do very little lap swimming. I do a mish mash of water aerobics and half assed laps. I "run" from the shallow end to the deep end back and forth for about 15 reps, I do squats and lunges in water up to my breastbone, and I do a whole bunch of resistance movements in the deep end. All in all, in an hour, I do about 5 laps and they're usually my warm up or cool down. I used to get winded half way through one lap, now I can usually do two without having to stop.

Basically, you're doing what I'm doing. Keep it up and you'll get more stamina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsteazombies View Post
Want me to come and sit on her while you work out in the pool? I'd totally do that for you.
You're awesome.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #13  
Warrior Princess

Do they have kick boards you can use at the pool? Try those to help you build stamina. This way you can float and just use your legs. Eventually you can use leg floats to work only your upper body...you will be doing laps someday. I don't care what anyone says; swimming is the BEST exercise a person can do. It works every muscle in your body, plus cardio and you don't put any pressure on joints. Can't go wrong there! Keep going.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #14  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I would have just laughed if someone said something like that... But considering the context it doesn't really surprise me... I can't even begin to tell you all the just flat out wrong training "advice" I've heard at gyms over the years...

One year while I was training for the NYC marathon I got injured early on and had to do a lot of my training including my "long" runs in the pool... and I had a great marathon that year... I still like to do "runs" in the pool with an aqua jogger belt for a change of pace...

I love swimming... Not only is it a great workout, but I really enjoy having the time in the water to myself, it really helps me clear my mind and feel more focused as well...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #15  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

There is one thing that swimming isn't the best for, and that's preserving or increasing bone density. I didn't post links, but googling "Swimming and bone density" will put plenty at your fingertips.

Beyond that ... it's exercise, it's supportive, it's non-impact. There's no concerns about being a sweaty mess. It moves your body in ways that make it functionally stronger and more flexible for everyday life.

I think your instructor probably got ahold of one article, read the headline, and felt like an expert. Unless she's ready to go into physiological details of exactly why she thinks her statement is true, and to expound on a large-scale, long term study, it might be better to nod politely and continue to keep doing what feels good. One of the greatest lessons I've learned here at 3FC is that each one of us has our own path.

I've been in and around competitive swimming for almost 40 years, and personally know a lot of folks who rediscovered health and fitness through swimming, even well up into their 70's. If you love it, you'll keep doing it, and your body will respond positively. Happy splashing!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote