Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 11:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

Default "hiding" your weight

sometimes when i hear/see what people weigh or compare it with what size they wear, it shocks me!

i don't hide my weight at all! i'm currently 212. i wear size 20 and XL. i have encountered SOOOOO many people who weigh more than me and are in smaller sizes.

i don't know if this is a rant or a plain observation. sigh. and i don't know where this is going, either.

i guess it's a plain remark on how different body shapes are.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I know what you mean about body shapes. When my daughter weighed what I used to weigh, she wore a size 7. I never could get below a size 13 at the same weight. I think they're making sizes bigger than they were when I was in my teens and 20s (the Twiggy era), but I also think it's body shape. I can wear a size 18 jeans, but a 2X top is still more comfortable.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:53 AM   #3  

Hi,

I know just how you feel, Holly. When I weighed around 150, I wore size 14 or 16 jeans. I'll read weight loss success stories of people who weigh that and wear size 10 or even smaller. I know I wasn't exercising back then, but all my weight must be in my hips, thighs and behind..sigh!

Sheila, we weigh within five pounds of each other (I'm 223) and there's NO WAY I could get a size 18 over my hips and thighs..oh, well.

Hopefully since I"m exercising now, I"ll be a smaller size when I finally see somewhere around that weight again.

Hey, you know maybe some people aren't being truthful about their clothing size...just a thought!

Hugs,
Sherry
Old 04-22-2003, 09:33 AM   #4  

Holly,

Oh boy do I know exactly what you mean!! I look in the mirror and think I look one way, but then I see someone, or see a picture of someone, that weighs what I weigh or wears the size I wear and I'm sad because that's not what I THOUGHT I looked like. I'm always checking to see what size people wear at different weights.

I guess everyone is just really different. One time I had to get on the scale at the dr.'s office and the nurse put the main weight thing (the one that you put on the 50 pound increments), down too far so I reached up and moved it up a notch and she said, "Oh, I didn't think you looked that heavy". I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

Anyway, I just got into my first pair of size 18 jeans in a long time. I'm also wearing tops that are 18/20. I still have such a long way to go, but I'm trying to think about how far I've come instead of how far I have to go.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:36 AM   #5  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hi Holly!

Me too Holly! I have read the weights and clothing sizes of others and noticed that others at my same weight were able to wear smaller sizes. I am thinking that they must be taller than I am. Or maybe the weight settles in different places.

Like Suzie, I am close in weight to Sheila, but I have to wear a size 24 pants to get up over my rear and tummy.

Gayle
Old 04-22-2003, 10:08 AM   #6  

this is really interesting because I'm just the opposite way--when i moved here I was 234 and wore a 16, and now at 198, i'm a small 14. I never get very small because of my bone structure. My "normal" weight is around 155-160 & I'm an 8/10. I think that being so dense is good on the one hand, but its a double edged sword because when i get on a scale I'm so discouraged. I always feel like I have sooo far to go to get into a normal weight range, but when people look at me I look "normal" to them. Its really fascinating how much people's bodies differ.

Does anyone else find that no matter what size they are they're always in between sizes--I think that's why I'm always trying to get smaller--in the hopes that I'll be a whole size (not between a 12 and a 14, but a 12...), but I never am!!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:21 AM   #7  

Holly,
I am always thinking this when reading people's testimonies. You and I are about the same, though! I wear every pound, out there for everyone to see!

I went shopping for some jeans last night and was determined not to buy any if the 18s didn't fit. They didn't and my husband talked me into buying 20s anyway because the jeans I was wearing had tons of holes. He said, "You deserve to have clothes that feel comfortable and that are all in one piece!"

They are really cute, so that's good, but I'm sad I'm still a 20. I found that the LEE 20s were way too tight - couldn't get them on. I seem to remember that about LEEs when I was in college but had forgotten. That was really depressing!

Anyway, Holly, I'm with you - we're all shaped differently but I wear my weight everywhere!
Old 04-22-2003, 11:24 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

funny you should bring this up... i'm in a size 14/16 top, and i haven't done that since i weighed about 210, and i'm now about 240. so i'm thinking there's been some size inflation in my 'absence.' and i'm wearing a pair of size 18 pants, with an elastic waist, but am more comfy in size 20 or 22 jeans.

but remember, we've also had the conversation about how we wear one size from one manufacturer and a different size in another one. and how this even affects thin people.

so, not sure what to think!!!!
Old 04-22-2003, 11:34 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Sherry me too, when I was 150 lbs (I am 5'10") I wore a size 14/16 more a 16 b/c of my belly. The rest of me was sooo skinny. Even at 180 lbs, I was wearing a size 16 ?????

Now forget it !! I'm 240+ (to afraid to get on the scale).

Sigh ~
Old 04-22-2003, 12:06 PM   #10  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I was wondering about this myself. I know that when I was in high school I was a solid size 22. I weighed about 220-230. After that, I went up to a 24, the size I'm in right now @ 288. When I got down to 230 on the phentermine, I wore a size 20 jean. And as I was gaining that weight back, I could still fit in 22's when I was 270--275.

So, I don't get it either.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:16 PM   #11  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I think it really does have a lot to do with individual body shape. I weigh 227 and comfortably fit into an 18. When I was at my lowest adult weight of 132, I wavered between a 6 and an 8.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:18 PM   #12  

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed this. I'm all the time seeing people that are the same weight as me are wearing smaller sizes of clothing. I wear a size 22/24 pants and have seen others at my weight wearing a size 18!

I personally just love that we are all different shapes and sizes, and although I think it would be wonderful to fit into a smaller size pants at this weight, I wouldn't give up my natural curviness for nothin'! I know that even though I'm a little too curvy at this point, when I get down to goal weight I will have just the right amount of curve left to be completely happy.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

thank you for all your responses!

i wasn't even figuring in the different stores and all that, or thinking about how sizes may have changed. someone saying they fit into their OLD pair of 18's might be totally different from buying new ones.

i just keep telling myself: i am not the size of my clothes.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:45 PM   #14  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

You are not the size of your clothes!

I put my actual weight on my driver's license because I wanted to have something to motivate me.

My favorite story is my mother who INSISTED that I must have misspoke when I told her I wore a size 28. She and my little sister went to Lane Bryant to buy me a birthday present and they came back with a size 18. I was like, "What?? Why didn't you buy a 28?" She said, "Oh try them on, sweetie. Your sister and I both think that you must be buying your clothes too big because that is NOT your size."

Of course, the size 18s DID NOT FIT. I'm 5'10", I wear my weight well but there was no way I was a size 18 at almost
300 lbs.

Silly silly family.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:48 PM   #15  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I am 5'9" with a large frame, and at 275 I was wearing a size 24. Now at 230ish I am wearing a size 16 (and some 14s). I don't understand it much. I know I have a lot of muscle, and I don't look my weight at all. I am guessing that when I reach 180lbs I will be a size 10/12 (I hope lol).
Closed Thread