Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #1  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

Question Beer Can Chicken

So I am planning on trying a modified version of Beer Can chicken tonight for dinner..I have also seen it called Beer Butt Chicken Basically, you put a half-empty can of beer in the cavity of a whole chicken and bake it sitting upright. The recipe I have used in the past called for a lot of butter. I am going to rub olive oil on the chicken and use a sugar-free herb and spice mix that I just got. I am also planning on using a half can of diet soda (maybe sprite for a lemon-lime taste) instead of the beer. Think that will be OP?
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Should work, when I did it with beer recently....the can was mostly full of beer still...I think it just steams it. So use the whole can just in case, just my opinion though!

I put spices in the beer as well (so put some in the pop), I didn't use any oil it just rubbed the spices into the skin really well.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #3  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I have never made it with rubbing oil... just the beer. We only used half a can as DH wasn't willing to give up a whole can of beer! LOL

The only thought I have is that they prefer you to use skinless chicken, as even when you cook and remove the skin, the fat is cooked in. I'm not sure if that will be a pain to remove.

However, beer butt chicken is delish so you've inspired me! mmmmm....
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I have NEVER heard of this! What? How? Does it taste like beer?
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #5  

We call it drunken chicken down here and they even make pans now that hold the beer can and you can put the chicken over it
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #6  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgamroth View Post
I have NEVER heard of this! What? How? Does it taste like beer?
Nooooo -- the beer is just a "moisturizer" and steams the chicken from the inside out. However, you can use pop, or I'm sure ANY liquid in a can. The can is just the "gimmick" of how to get the chicken to stand on end so that the fat drips down and the chicken isn't sitting and cooking in fat as you literally place the chicken over top of the can to support it as it is standing on its little legs . It's great for a BBQ or on the lowest rack of the oven (in a pan obviously)

It makes a moist, less fat chicken, and the flavour is delish no matter what liquid you use -- not booze tasting at all
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote